What to pack for 2 months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to pack for 2 months?

I'm leaving to be with my sweetie for 2 months next week. unfortunately I can't bring my room or 10 suitcases so I've gotta get things managed. for anyone who's ever packed for a long period of time do you have any tips? I'll be going to Texas where it's gonna be hot hot hot! I had enough trouble packing for a 10 day trip! thanks!

I visited my SO last year for 4 months. I took about a week's work of clothes, some jewelry, a nice dress, make up, and travel sized personal hygiene products. I'm not sure where exactly you live, but I live in Texas. For us, it's not as hot as it usually is at this time of the year. I would still bring shorts or capris and some short sleeved shirts and tank tops. You might even want to bring a bathing suit. Also, don't forget that you can always buy whatever you need to here. I think it would be better to come a mostly empty suit case because you can always fill it up with stuff when you go home.
    "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
    Made it official: September 17, 2010
    Got engaged: January 15, 2012
    Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
    Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
    Got married: November 21, 2012
    Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
    Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Pack about a week or 9 days of clothes. Bring one or two fancy outfits for going out. Bring your favorite make up, if you wear it. Remember- the longer you're going the less you have to pack, because you can do laundry! Plus anything you forget you can buy when you get there. Have fun!!!

Comment

I try to pack for every sort of weather about 3 things (and of course I try to match them, so that they can all make different outfits), so that I have in total enough clothes for 10 days. Make a list, and see what you can combine, and then argue with yourself if you really, really need it (at least thats what I do to prevent myself from taking 6 suitcases.....)

Goodluck!

Comment

When I left college for the summer (3 months) this past May, I could only afford to bring one suitcase and a carry-on. xD It's manageable. I wear the same clothes all the time since I only brought about 10 days worth of clothes (including my shorts, [I live in a really hot city] T-shirts, and things I was CERTAIN I'd wear.) I used to pack all my clothes and didn't end up wearing half of it last summer, so this summer I was certain to ONLY pack what I knew for SURE I'd wear. :P

Some hygiene products, and a few other things you will need. Best of luck packing! I recommend you rolling up your clothes instead of folding it and putting it in a suitcase. It fits better that way!!

Comment

another advice: buy those bags that you can make vacuum... You can get them in a travel store probably, and they are really handy! Allows you to take with you about double amount of clothes

Comment

Originally posted by charly View Post
              another advice: buy those bags that you can make vacuum... You can get them in a travel store probably, and they are really handy! Allows you to take with you about double amount of clothes
              If you can bring a checked bag, look into getting one of the vacuum bags. You can get them at WalMart/Target/and other stores like them. You should be able to fit a small/medium in your suitcase, but you probably won't need to bring any clothes that are "hefty" like a winter coat or anything. You may want to bring a light jacket, just in case you're prone to getting chilly. There have been some crazy storms lately around where I live, so a raincoat type jacket may be a good thing to bring.

Do laundry! Your SO won't care (or may not even notice...) if you wear the same pieces of clothing throughout your visit. Bring pieces you can create several outfits from. You can get at least 3-4 outfits from a neutral colored dress! (&Probably more). Accessories are your best friend in this case. Pack 3 pairs of shoes and wear one. You won't need more than that, I can pretty much guarantee it.

Have fun with your SO!

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
              Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
              Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I started packing 1 suitcase yesterday and I know I packed too much. I bought so many dresses and of course I want to take all of them- maybe 10-15. I've gotta learn to downsize! you are all spot on about that.

I have thought about those vacuum bags. are they a problem for security when they check the checked bags?

Comment

I pretty much agree. Maybe two outfits for each situation -- including dates. I had to keep myself from bringing a lot with me for the summer. It was terribly difficult. But I have the luxury of being able to make more clothes. I like to be able to choose from my clothes. i hate pre-determined outfits. I brought two pairs of jeans, one pair of capris, three pairs of shorts (I'm in Albuquerque -- it's hot!), 5 tank tops, 3 t-shirts, 5tops, three skirts, and 2 dresses. And of course, pjs, and undies.

You can skip any toiletries that are easily replaced.

If you do use those vacuum bags, be sure you watch the weight. In a suitcase, it's unlikely you'll get enough in there to be a real problem, but those things make things denser, meaning your suitcase will be heavier. Some airlines charge for excess weight. I don't think it matters for security. I'm pretty sure they don't open checked bags, and my SO has taken them in his carry on many times and never had an issue.

Good luck! And enjoy the time with your SO.
                  Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
                  Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
                  Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
                  LD again: July 24, 2012
                  Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
                  Married: November 1, 2014
                  Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

it's really proving difficult for me to limit what I can take. I think the whole idea of wearing the same clothes on a close rotation scale bothers me. anyone else ever feel like this? with pjs it doesn't bother me too much but with my regular clothes it does. I couldn't just buy 1 bikini top and bottom- I had to buy 4 bottoms and 8 or 9 tops. and I bought another dress today. accckkkk... I need an intervention! lol

Comment

Originally posted by charly View Post
                      YES!!! SPACE BAGS!!! Those things are LIFE SAVERS.

Comment

Working...
                      X