Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you and your SO talk? Like in general?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you and your SO talk? Like in general?

I met my SO online and have been chatting and dating ever since. But he got a job and has been talking to me less and less. I know it's because of his job and he does have a life outside of me but it makes me a bit sad. We have an 8 hour time difference and it's hard to talk. He and I use this app on the ipod/iphone/driod/blackberry called kik and it's like txting but with a lot more. We used to be on the phone on the weekends but the prices started stacking up and no more. I talk to my SO about twice every week. How often do you and your SO talk for? If it's a LOT more often then mine, could you help bring me some suggestions? Thanks!

p.s. My SO does NOT have a webcam. It sucks...but hey, I can't complain because he is the love of my life and I am his.

My SO and I talk very often, but that's only because school's out right now. When school's in session, we have to talk a lot less. What you need to do is figure out a schedule for you both. Open up an Excel spreadsheet and your weekly schedules. Block out the times that aren't at all available for you two to talk: for example, when you're working or sleeping. Then look at what's left in the overlap and plan from there. We color code and our schedule looks awesome XD. It's extra important for us (and for you guys too) because we're on such different time zones. It's really helpful to have everything all laid out in front of you so you can plan one-on-one time. It also really helps you make sure that your relationship doesn't get in the way of your other responsibilities. Of course, any extra time you can talk (like random texts during the day) is a nice surprise .

Comment

I'm very lucky because I usually speak to my SO everyday on the phone- sometimes for hours- and also on the computer via fb.

Comment

We talk every day both online and for a few minutes on the phone. We're lucky enough to live in the same time zone though it's not that much of a challenge at the moment with my not working and everything. Even when I was in Job Corps we talked for at least a few minutes a day on the phone. My advice is to plan a certain time for him to call you whenever you can, that way you know you're doing the best you can with the time you can have.

Comment

Nothing has been stable since he left and it's been one crisis after another so it went from texts and almost daily emails all the time to less and less. We did 3-4 skype dates (last one in April) and have spoken on the phone a handful of times, phone calls were far and few between lasting 5-10 minutes.

Obviously not the ideal situation.

Comment

We too talk daily. I work night shift 3 nights a week and call him in the morning on those days before he gets to work, plus we text each other on top of that. On my days off we meet on vent, which is like skype but without the webcam. Can't imagine going a day without at least hearing his voice, even if it is a short convo.

Comment

You should definitely try to set a time when you can always talk. My SO and I talked on the phone every night, sometimes just for a minute, sometimes for hours, just before bed. If you can only do that three times a week, that's fine. But then you know when you'll talk.

Also, if you feel the current situation isn't working for you, tell your SO. If it's expenses, there are a few free computer programs you can use to talk. You can even skype with just a microphone. If it's just the being busy, setting aside time can really help.

Exchanging emails is free, so you could use that like a big text message. Just write him a little note telling him you're thinking of him and you love him.

Another thing you might want to do is get busy yourself. It helps you not think about missing him, etc. Get a hobby, read some books, learn something new, hang out with friends. Keeping busy is the best way to get through the hard stuff.
              Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
              Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
              Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
              LD again: July 24, 2012
              Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
              Married: November 1, 2014
              Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

We use Skype voice daily and often send little text messages back and forth throughout the day. Sometimes we'll throw in a phonecall or two.

Comment

We have a nine hour time difference and I just opened a thread in the international section about it I agree with you. It's difficult!
                  I would like to talk to my SO lots more. We call each other every day on Skype. We never phone as it's too expensive but he has an iPhone so he can skype me from wherever and somehow it works. I call him in the morning before I go to work but depending on when I go, he'll already be in bed so it's not every morning. He calls me from work when it's night for me, depending when he has time. If we are lucky we get to talk twice a day. That being said, those calls are far from satisfying often we just talk a few minutes but there is nothing that can be changed. We have a date night at weekends though and we take time for each other then.
                  I would like to email more but he gets hundreds of work emails every day so he takes ages to write me back. I occasionally have to have a word with him to make a bit of an effort with it.

So my suggestion: instead of phoning, just Skype. We don't always have the camera on. You can just use the microphone and here you go. No problems. Another idea: I used voipcheap when I lived in the Uk but you can use it from everywhere as long as you have Internet access. It was about 10 pounds for 3 months and you could call for free on landlines (and to cell phones in the US by the way).
                  Also, have a date night! It's so much fun, even without a webcam I'm sure you can come up with stuff to do
                  What I find really important is that you talk with him about it. He can't know all your needs and I'm sure he would like things to be different too if possible.

Comment

We txt everyday .... many times a day ..... however we only actually talk once every couple weeks

Comment

We text almost every day. But we don't get to talk often, once every other week, twice a week if we're lucky.
                      Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
                      First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

calls are expensive, so we dont call at all, but we both are fine with that we skyoe most the time once in 2 weeks, but we chat alot. its what works for us and i m happy he is a angel and he goes out of the way to msg, chat with me

Comment

We use kik throughout the day when we are both awake to keep up a running conversation, and we talk/webcam/FaceTime every couple of days, although sometimes we go through days like yesterday and today when we talk(not text) morning, night, and the next morning. Those are pretty rare though! But I love them!!!

Comment

we talk and email everyday, as much as we can.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyama View Post
                              So my suggestion: instead of phoning, just Skype. We don't always have the camera on. You can just use the microphone and here you go. No problems. Another idea: I used voipcheap when I lived in the Uk but you can use it from everywhere as long as you have Internet access. It was about 10 pounds for 3 months and you could call for free on landlines (and to cell phones in the US by the way).
                              Also, have a date night! It's so much fun, even without a webcam I'm sure you can come up with stuff to do
                              What I find really important is that you talk with him about it. He can't know all your needs and I'm sure he would like things to be different too if possible.
                              We've had nothing but problems since we parted (and before then as well), another one is his phone plan is with Sprint in the USA and he has a BB. We didn't know at the time.. but Skype has an exclusivity deal with Verizon so he couldn't get Skype on his cell... very annoying.

Comment

Working...
                              X