A great week, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great week, but...

This week was really amazing. My SO flew 9,000 miles just to visit me! It was the first time we met each other in person.
    My parents and I picked him up at the airport. I was kind of nervous to meet him or even talk to him. But when we got home, things just went naturally. We didn't go around the town, but we spent almost all of the time together. He's awesome. My parents loved him. (Which I am really thankful about.)

But last night we drove him to the airport, and it was very hard. I was crying the whole time. I couldn't help myself. He was just holding my hand tightly, trying to make me feel better. I didn't want to let go of him, but he needs to go back to the US.

I don't know when he will be back. But he promised he will return.
    It's really painful. It's harder than I thought it would be.

To those who already met their SOs, any advice how to make myself feel better??
    This is my first time to experience this. So I don't really know what to do.

Thanks. <3
    "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue,
    a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them
    which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky."
    - Rainer Maria Rilke

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet,
    regardless of time, place, or circumstance.
    The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."
    - an ancient Chinese belief

I say keep yourself busy.
    My girlfriend came to visit me for 5 weeks back in february and when she left to go back to germany, like 11,000 miles away I was a total mess. And she was a total mess the whole plane trip back..which is quite a long trip. The whole time she was here I was on university holiday so we all the time together. She left on a saturday and I had to start university again on the monday. I was a mess, but I found that getting back into my study helped to distract me. However when I was home, or by myself I got very sad.
    Just remember the good times and look forward to the ones that you still will have in future. Even if you don't know when you will see each other again.
    Do you skype with him?
    When my girl got back to germany the first thing we did was skype each other. Just hearing her voice made me better, but also sad at the same time.

But yeah..theres no way to just feel better...but just give it time. And with each day that passes the closer you are to seeing him again! If you think of it that way. I would say go out with friends, and have some fun, if possible.
    Don't know if any of that will help, but I just remember the same feelings you are going through at the moment. It does get a little easier..kinda.

Comment

5 weeks?? Sounds awesome! But 11,000 miles is...wow...
      I'm on break right now, but I'm kind of glad I don't have to go back to uni until next week.
      It was really difficult letting go of him last night. I couldn't stop crying, and I could see that he's trying not to cry so I wouldn't cry more.

Originally posted by BoogleBee View Post
      Do you skype with him?
      Yes, we do. But he's still on his flight back home. I won't be able to talk to him until tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'm thankful that other people can understand what I'm going through right now.
      I'll just try to think about positive things. Like what you said, each passing day is another day closer to him.
      "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue,
      a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them
      which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky."
      - Rainer Maria Rilke

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet,
      regardless of time, place, or circumstance.
      The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."
      - an ancient Chinese belief

Comment

Yeah since she lives so far we thought that for her to travel such a distance then it should be for a fair amount of time, and she had the time available and I was on holiday so yes, 5 weeks!
        It was hard for me going back to uni the following monday and even worse I had work on the sunday, and she had only left the saturday morning. However, work kept me distracting until my parents came in and came to my counter and asked me how I was and I almost started crying right there and then.
        But yeah so we weren't able to talk till she got home too obviously, but I guess work did speed that day up.

But yeah, I hope you will feel better. Not immediately. Just remember what a wonderful week you had together
        Hopefully you will be able to talk again soon once he gets home.

Comment

Hang in there mate
          For me I found planning the next trip and thinking about our life plans together made it bearable. Planning is a comfort stratagy for me.
          Looking at pictures can also help, staying busy, and gossiping with family and friends is great too.
          And these forums... they just chew up the hours ^^
          Hope you feel better soon!
          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I haven't met my SO yet, but we have plans to meet this November and this is probably my biggest fear concerning the trip; saying goodbye. I'm glad you started this thread. Hopefully the things said here will help me prepare.
            First conversation 11.5.09 First meeting 11.7.10 Closed the distance 5.14.14 Married 6.14.14

https://lovingfrom5000miles.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm so dreading that time. I can tell you that as a guy i would/will probably cry rivers and hold my Katelyn and never let her make me go haha.
              Sorry that i can't be to any help. I haven't yet gone through that.

Good luck with everything.

Comment

Working...
              X