Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you deal with a worrying mother???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you deal with a worrying mother???

Okay, this ist completely embarrassing to me, but I really need some advice even if this sounds so stupid:

In just over a week I'm going to see my SO after a year and a half of LDR and, of course, I'm really looking forward to it. We're having some travel arrangement hurdles, though, which we were talking about today in Skype. His mom, who talks to me every once in a while, came too and she told me her worries in a very serious manner. She is very worried because my SO is flying over to me alone (partly, because he'll fly the first part with his sisters and brother-in-law) and due to some unfortunate circumstances I can't pick him up at the airport. So, that I won't worry and he won't get lost while there I've asked a friend for a favour and pick him up for me, but she hasn't answered me yet. I've told my SO's mom what we're planning to do, but she still keeps on worrying. I don't know what else to say and feel completely stupid not knowing what to do with a worrying mom. I've never had to deal with a worrying mother of a boyfriend. My worrywart of a grandma I know how to deal with, but her? My SO says, I shouldn't think too much about it because she's always been that way, but I don't want to alienate her. Who knows, she might be my mother-in-law one day and I'd rather my boyfriend's mom is my friend. How do you deal with it if your partner's mom worries?

Like you say, you don't know her as well as he does or as you know your own family worriers. So there really isn't much you can do. I'd say just keep her in the loop as much as you can. Tell her about your plans. Maybe even ask her advice. How does she think you should deal with this issue or that. Just talk to her as much as you can about the trip.

Other than that, just take your SO's advice. It's his mom. I'm sure he knows how to deal with her. As long as you don't do anything rude I wouldn't worry about alienating her. Just keep her up to date on the plan, and I'm sure all will go well.
    Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
    Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
    Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
    LD again: July 24, 2012
    Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
    Married: November 1, 2014
    Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

Just keep her updated & informed of all the plans .... however this really is more his job then yours.

I'm a Mom & we worry about our children, her son is going to a strange place by himself & she is worried I can understand that.

Comment

Mom's worry. My mom worried about me making a 2 hour drive to a friend in the evening alone. Not a big deal to me, a huge deal to her. Just let it be. It's not your problem to deal with anyway. He needs to handle it. The worst thing you can do is come between your SO and the parents.

Comment

My mom is the one who worries, because I am the one who is travelling internationally alone to meet my SO after an almost 2 year relationship. In fact, it was a huge step for me to even book the plane ticket, because she was so worried about me travelling that she didn't want me to go at all. Some things you can try to reassure her about, but in the end, she will worry, regardless, and she won't feel better until your SO is safely back within her reach. Just make sure you give her your itinerary and plan out exactly how he is going to get from Point A to Point B. Then maybe set up a time for him to check in with his mom after he gets there so that she knows he arrived safely.
          Last edited by kittyo9; June 27, 2012, 09:11 PM.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Thanks everyone! You're a huge help!

Comment

maybe give him a few reliable taxi names (and forward it to his mother) so she knows that theres no chance of him being lost

yes... boyfriend's mothers... 12 hours before we were going to go somewhere she said she dissaproved because she thought he would get me pregnant by going on holiday (wanted to shout at her n say "well 3 years and no baby, i think we are all good!!!")

Comment

Just make sure that his mother knows exactly how he's getting to your house (or wherever he's staying) and have him contact her as soon as he gets there. A phone call would be best. Enjoy your visit!
                *My fiance is 33 years old, and his mom still worries about him. I think it's something that never really goes away.
                "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                Made it official: September 17, 2010
                Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                Got married: November 21, 2012
                Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Working...
                X