LD Depression!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LD Depression!

My SO's been in this army training course for just over a week now. He's only allowed two short phone calls a day, tops. I'm kind of finding it hard to cope. Especially since I just graduated HS and all my friends are leaving and such. It's really difficult for me to find things to do. I've been searching for a job madly just for something to keep me occupied.

I suppose it's a good thing that I've forgotten what it's like to be alone- I'm just not looking forward to two more years of this(although starting next friday, he'll be home on weekends). Oh, and FYI, he's in the Singaporean army. Not the US Army, so there's no combat risks or anything. That's me finding the silver lining.

Any tips on what I can do to fight off this semi-depression phase I'm going through?

oh sweetie, I wish I knew. My bf is not in the military but i have been suffering with a bout of depression myself, from everything going on in my life and also not being able to see my bf. If you find out some good things to do, then please also let me know. Good luck

Comment

All I can suggest is to try to stay busy and try to stay positive. Whenever I'm feeling a bit depressed, I lose myself in a good book. It's easier for me to forget life when I'm focused on a good storyline. I don't know if reading is your thing, and I know that it only helps for a few hours at a time, but it's something. Good luck.
      First conversation 11.5.09 First meeting 11.7.10 Closed the distance 5.14.14 Married 6.14.14

https://lovingfrom5000miles.blogspot.com/

Comment

I know how you feel. I have no real local friends (closest being an hour's drive away) and I can't hold a proper job. My guy's working dusk til dawn hours 7 days a week so the best I can get is a text every few days.

It's super hard to want to do anything when you feel lonely and depressed, but your best bet is to take up old hobbies you didn't have time for before or new ones. Check the papers, look at local news sites for stuff going on around your city, and generally try and get out of the house more even if you just end up sitting in the food court of a mall for a couple hours. Not a great thing to do alone, but maybe frequent a few places like a cafe and you'll make friends. I know I made one with a cashier at a hobby shop and she and I share a good few interests and do hang out and talk here and there.

Just anything to keep your mind off it or at least keep you positive.

Comment

Everyone has given really great suggestions. Maybe it's the time of year, but I've been going through a little bought of the blues too. My SO and I haven't had normal contact for 3 of the last 4 weeks ( two diff US Army trainings) and I have to say it's hard to feel absolutely loved when someone isn't there to confirm it.
          I've been keeping busy with work and some really intense summer classes, but I still have down time that I'm just like eh I don't feel like doing anything so I'm going to have a pity party. Like you I have at least two more years of this including one year of that being a deployment, so as much as it stinks to say this it's just something that has to be dealt with and worked through and eventually we will be with our loves : )

Comment

I know how you all feel! And how you know they love you but you start to question things. Its so good to have others who understand. My friend cant quite understand how hard it is...

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm really trying to work through this. Only a few more days until he comes home on the weekends every week. Thinking positive.

Comment

I don't know a lot about you, so I can tell you the things that get me through. With my girl away in the navy, I could go weeks without hearing from her. Only to get the occasional email which I live on and a 5 minute phone call she can barely get out to me with it cutting in and out. It is a hard road when all you want to do is share the everyday things in your life with them.

I go to church regularly. Meet with church groups, go to church, volunteering my time, read books I'd always told myself I'd read, make videos and spend time with my friends. I understand you mention your high school friends are moving away, but I'm sure they aren't the only people in town. You'd be surprised how many awesome people you meet when you volunteer your time or when you explore different venues. Helping others in their time of need generally helps you to get your mind off of your problems. Good luck with everything.

Comment

Well, I'm getting a job and I'm playing music out more now, seeing as I can. Building up my name as one of the top young musicians in my area! Church isn't my thing, but I have groups that I hang out with elsewhere at the library or whatever. Also, there was a book sale so I loaded up on a few classic novels- I'm reading Frankenstein currently. I plan to start A Clockwork Orange soon and then I'm torn between King Lear and Portrait of Dorian Gray! So I have a lot to do!

Thanks guys.

Comment

Well I'm happy for you that you found something to pass the time with. Having a job is definitely a way to keep busy and obviously getting a pay check at the end of it is always nice. What kind of music do you play by chance? I'm just wondering cause I'm such a music junkie. A Clockwork Orange is a bit hard to get through at times and I blame that on all the cockney slang.

Comment

Well... my LD down-moments are nowhere near as bad because I'm lucky enough to have a relatively easy distance/circumstance, but for what it's worth I actually find that going to the gym really helps me. It keeps my mind off things and the endorphins really do make you feel better. Other than that, could do something like a photography course or some other course? Just something to keep your mind busy :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ForGodAndNation View Post
                        Well I'm happy for you that you found something to pass the time with. Having a job is definitely a way to keep busy and obviously getting a pay check at the end of it is always nice. What kind of music do you play by chance? I'm just wondering cause I'm such a music junkie. A Clockwork Orange is a bit hard to get through at times and I blame that on all the cockney slang.
                        I chose King Lear, and yes, I'm going to try my hardest on Clockwork Orange. I found an online dictionary of terms to help. haha. I play acoustic-alternative(Damien Rice, Glen Hansard, Ingrid Michaelson and I do alot of Amanda Palmer too because she's my idol. haha.) I've written a bunch of new songs too, and only one of them is angsty!

Comment

Originally posted by totalspiffage View Post
                          I chose King Lear, and yes, I'm going to try my hardest on Clockwork Orange. I found an online dictionary of terms to help. haha. I play acoustic-alternative(Damien Rice, Glen Hansard, Ingrid Michaelson and I do alot of Amanda Palmer too because she's my idol. haha.) I've written a bunch of new songs too, and only one of them is angsty!
                          HAHA the book itself should have the dictionary of terms, but it'll be good to have it online to not be turning back and forth in the book. That's really cool. I'm not as familiar with those artists, but I do dig acoustic and alternative. If you ever put anything online for listening pleasure, send it my way

Comment

Originally posted by totalspiffage View Post
                            HAHA the book itself should have the dictionary of terms, but it'll be good to have it online to not be turning back and forth in the book. That's really cool. I'm not as familiar with those artists, but I do dig acoustic and alternative. If you ever put anything online for listening pleasure, send it my way

Comment

Working...
                            X