Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Last Hurrah Before Separation: Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Last Hurrah Before Separation: Advice?

(*posted as a blog entry, also) Hello everyone,

Things were wrapping up with work for the year and I have had this hideous, 3 and a half week flu thing. I really want to respond to all the advice and posts (there were some really useful ones I didn't yet reply to) in the previous thread I had about my boyfriend moving to Amsterdam (i.e., increasing the distance on a possibly permanent basis) and maybe sometime soon I will (I went into a denial mode for awhile that seemed to help me get on with my life).

I am here to write an update about the situation, though, and maybe this will suffice as a response. Yes, he is still moving to Amsterdam at the end of July. Things are starting to seem very real now, as he has just sold his car and is having goodbye parties at work and such. Yes, I was in denial and didn't want to deal with the idea for awhile. I still don't, but it seems I will be forced to. I absent-mindedly wished him a happy last day of work (at his old job) tomorrow and his voice positively glowed. I guess that is a good thing and I should want to make him feel happy, but really he has everyone and everything else stroking his ego right now...so why does he seem to yearn for me to tell him it's the right decision? Maybe it's the right decision for his career right now, but I will never say it is the right decision for our relationship. I just can't do that, when I know it's not. Sometimes I feel like he expects everything from me emotionally and doesn't want to give back in the same way. I have no idea what is really going to happen when he moves to Amsterdam. Yes, we have said we will stay together and continue with long-distance with the hope of continuing to visit each other (I have never been to Europe, so that, in itself, would be very exciting). For the short term, that sounds okay. In the long term, though, I don't want to wake up in a few years' time, at 30, still planning far between visits with a guy that will never fully commit. I want to stay with him for now, but, by keeping things going, am I selling myself short?

In the more immediate sense, I could use some advice. He is coming to visit me on Wednesday for a little over a week. He has basically planned and paid for the whole vacation and there look to be some really cool things to do together. I am excited in the sense that I desperately need a change and a vacation, as well as some time away from living with my family and the stresses of work, plus I will be with someone of my own age! I'm sad to say, though, that as the date draws closer...I'm less and less excited to see him. I have this protective wall up that says, "what's the point?" or family that says (and I can't help but agree) that I "deserve better" and that he is wanting to have his fun with me as a last send off to his ride into the sunset.

How should I behave on this visit? It has been since last August since we have seen each other in-person; a struggle with weight gain from being unwell and stressed is one of my worries, but seems it seems minor when I worry that I might lapse into some deep depression after he goes on his merry way. We can't just go back to how we were. However, I don't want to just act as friends or spend the whole time feeling awkward and angry. All these big fights we had were on the phone, so I haven't actually seen him tell me that he is leaving (it may sound silly, but that feels really important to me). Do we talk about the future of our relationship and how we hope to make things work from further away? Or, do we resolve just to have fun and deal with it later? Either way, it could lead to a blow out and hard feelings (it seems there isn't much of a middle ground between tackling things head-on, while we can, or bottling everything up and not discussing where we go from here). How do we interact physically? I have actually made a vow to myself that I will take it slowly on the physical side of things and maybe not sleep with him. He was my first and there is a big tangle of emotions around that, also. I don't want to put myself in a position to feel more vulnerable and sad. Yet, I also know how important physicality is (I do think that part of our relationship difficulties lately have been that we haven't been around each other, even to hold hands, in nearly a year).

Thoughts, anyone? I know this is a little time sensitive now, since I will be seeing him well...tomorrow, now, I guess (1:40am Tuesday).
    Last edited by Lunar Snow; July 3, 2012, 01:45 PM. Reason: Nearly 2am typos!

The only advice I have is to relax & enjoy the vist .... have fun

Comment

I think you just need to enjoy the time you have with him. You've told him how you feel about him moving, right? If you have, I think you should drop it. Things aren't going to change if you keep telling him that his going to Amsterdam is a bad thing. He probably was happy when you told him happy last day of work because he wants you to support him in his decision. He wants to feel like you're there for him no matter what he decides to do. I don't think that by staying with him, you're selling yourself short. I think that you're setting yourself up for a new adventure. You said that you've never been to Europe, but now you have a great excuse to go anywhere in Europe you want. You'll have a great tour guide who can show you around Amsterdam, and you'll never have to worry about having a travel buddy. I know what you mean about feeling less and less excited about having your SO visit you. I had that happen with my SO, and we actually got engaged during that visit. You never know what's going to happen. Just enjoy his visit and don't worry about him moving. There's nothing you can do to change it right now. I think you should start planning your first trip to go see him. Good luck on everything!
      "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
      Made it official: September 17, 2010
      Got engaged: January 15, 2012
      Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
      Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
      Got married: November 21, 2012
      Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
      Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Honeypie View Post
        The only advice I have is to relax & enjoy the vist .... have fun
        Yay! A fellow Canadian!

Yes, I should definitely allow myself to have some fun. If nothing else, I have been waiting all year to have a break like this and it would be a shame to sulk the entire time.

We will be going to different places around B.C. (the same province I live in), so it might not seem like a complete get-away. However, there are lots of places and things that are very cool and I do love B.C.!

Comment

Originally posted by princessmeg1328 View Post
          I think you just need to enjoy the time you have with him. You've told him how you feel about him moving, right? If you have, I think you should drop it. Things aren't going to change if you keep telling him that his going to Amsterdam is a bad thing. He probably was happy when you told him happy last day of work because he wants you to support him in his decision. He wants to feel like you're there for him no matter what he decides to do. I don't think that by staying with him, you're selling yourself short. I think that you're setting yourself up for a new adventure. You said that you've never been to Europe, but now you have a great excuse to go anywhere in Europe you want. You'll have a great tour guide who can show you around Amsterdam, and you'll never have to worry about having a travel buddy. I know what you mean about feeling less and less excited about having your SO visit you. I had that happen with my SO, and we actually got engaged during that visit. You never know what's going to happen. Just enjoy his visit and don't worry about him moving. There's nothing you can do to change it right now. I think you should start planning your first trip to go see him. Good luck on everything!
          Yes, I have told him how I feel. I think he keeps hoping that I will change how I feel, though. It's good to have a reminder not to re-hash our disagreement over it. It's more that I want to talk future things with him (like if we will keep on the same way indefinitely) and how we are going to make our relationship work when he is over there.

I do think that is why he is happy, also. I suppose I can think of wishing him well on his last day of work as something to do with moving on from that position and up in his career. I think he had a very solid job there with really flexible and kind co-workers and bosses, but I knew he had been looking for a new challenge and something with higher pay for awhile. I can support him, in that regard. I don't have to think of it as blessing his choice to increase the distance between us (because that won't happen).

The new adventure is how my Nanna, surprisingly, views things. For an elderly lady, she has some fresh ideas! Well, I have to say Holland has never been on my radar as a top destination, but I am sure it has many charms. I think the top of my list would be a tie between England and Italy. I do have some awesome university friends scattered around Europe, so it would be very nice to see them. Yet, that reminds me that now my SO has announced he will be moving there on Facebook, he seems to have these gorgeous, tall-looking, Amsterdam girls popping out of the woodwork and already arranging to hang out with him. That makes me feel jealous and insecure! I guess I would just like him to say that they are his friends from an exchange there he went on and nothing more...but he seems not to say anything about these sudden friends I never knew he had. :S Should I ask him?

I am glad you understand my feeling about this visit, so it is good to have encouragement from someone who has felt the same way. Wow! Well, congratulations to you. Believe me, I dream about something so romantic and...commitment-oriented from him, but I don't know if that will ever happen with him.

Yes, planning a visit there would be something to feel happy about after he leaves. I just hope that he is helping plan the visit, also (and hasn't forgotten about me, with his new job, new friends, new place, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar Snow View Post
            Yes, planning a visit there would be something to feel happy about after he leaves. I just hope that he is helping plan the visit, also (and hasn't forgotten about me, with his new job, new friends, new place, etc.).
            I'm sure there is no way that he will forget about you. Just give him some times once he gets there to settle in. It's hard moving to a new country and not really knowing what to expect. If he really and truly loves you, he will be sure to fit you into his plans. That's one of the things that I've learned. When men care, they make sure to talk to you. Don't worry about the other girls. They have nothing on you in his heart. Whenever you get to visit him, make sure to meet them. Hopefully, it'll help put your mind at ease to know they're not as important to him as you. If you ever need anything, you can talk to me.
            "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
            Made it official: September 17, 2010
            Got engaged: January 15, 2012
            Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
            Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
            Got married: November 21, 2012
            Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
            Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I'm sure there is no way that he will forget about you. Just give him some times once he gets there to settle in. It's hard moving to a new country and not really knowing what to expect. If he really and truly loves you, he will be sure to fit you into his plans. That's one of the things that I've learned. When men care, they make sure to talk to you. Don't worry about the other girls. They have nothing on you in his heart. Whenever you get to visit him, make sure to meet them. Hopefully, it'll help put your mind at ease to know they're not as important to him as you. If you ever need anything, you can talk to me.
              Oops! I didn't see your comment before I left with him. Thank you--that's reassuring and, yes, it would be good to talk to you!

Comment

Working...
              X