Update- he said the distance killed everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update- he said the distance killed everything

As some of you may recall, my last post here was after a terrible visit in which my (now ex) SO showed a completely different side to me. I came back home close to 6 weeks ago and have heard nothing from him. I was in contact with both his Mom and Aunt who said they didn't know what could possibly explain his behavior, or what he thought in terms of our relationship. I was left with so many questions and feel like I have tortured myself trying to figure out what happened.

Last night, I figured enough time had passed and I really needed to know what was going on. I called him thinking he wouldn't even answer as he has never been able to keep a phone consistently....to my surprise, he picked up. I was startled, but we slowly began talking (very awkwardly). I told him so much time had passed and we hadn't been in communication like I thought we would...he agrees and said, yes, a lot of time had passed and that he had been waiting for my call. He then tells me straight out- "la distancia mató todo"- "the distance killed everything". I was in shock, just without words for a moment as this is someone who previously told me they would always wait for me, we would get thru the distance, he was madly in love with me, etc. And now this? I just said it killed it for him, but not for me and that I had every intention to keep up my effort (well, before all of this). He then apologizes over and over again...I got angry and asked him why he didn't tell me he felt this way before I came to visit? I was furious just thinking about all the money I spent and how embarrassed I felt in front of his family. He just keeps apologizing then tells me I'll find someone else who deserves me (ouch). I asked him if he cheated on me and he said no (I figured why so much apologizing if he didn't do something?)...he then tells me to call him back tomorrow morning. I said no, we were going to talk now...and then the phone cut off. I don't know if he hung up or the phone died or what. I smoked a cigarette (my first in years), cried, and then called his Aunt and told her that I finally had gotten my answer. Suddenly, his behavior during that visit all made sense...he had made up his mind even before I came, but didn't have the courage to tell me while I was there.

So, that is the closure I had been hoping for. A 5-minute phone call in which I basically saw what a coward he was. I can't drive myself crazy wondering what happened. All I know is I have to move on.

I am really sorry, books. What an awful, immature coward he was about it. Best of luck to you, just remember, it will get better.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear this but at least you have some closure and sometimes that's all we need to move on.

Comment

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I'm glad you got some closure. Good luck and we're all here for you!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about that at least you got your answer. Waiting and not knowing what's going on and expecting the worst can drain everything out of you eventually. He's really a coward for not telling you much sooner. I hope you'll be able to move on soon *hugs*

Comment

I've been thinking about you, wondering what happened. I know he had some communication issues, but the fact he waited til you called him so he could break up with you is just so inexcusably slack. I am sorry for your heartache and purse-ache that has come from this. We're here for you if you want to talk it out some more. *Hugs*
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I haven't forgotten your last post. I am so sorry you have to go through this. What an awful thing, and he was very cowardly about it. Best of luck in everything. *hugs*

Comment

At least you now have closure. I didn't have closure with my ex husband until it came out in court for the true reason of separation. He ditched me because my ex friend (his now pregnant partner) gave him an ultimatum. Get rid of me or she'd report the family to children's services for abuse (unsubstantiated I might add). I was ditched because of an ultimatum. Quite cowardly too I might add. (hugs) It will get better over time.

Comment

Thank you for the support. To be honest, although we had not spoken since I returned from my visit 6 weeks ago, I had not really come to terms with the fact it was over. Now it is hitting me and I know I have to accept it. Everything just came out of left field and I am left wondering if there was something more I could have done...then I remember I did EVERYTHING to keep us together.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did hang up on me during that call. When I visited, he actually walked out on me when we were fighting and left me to cry alone in a room for 3 hours. I was shocked at his cowardly, mean side then so really this is not so far off.

Comment

Originally posted by books View Post
                    I wouldn't be surprised if he did hang up on me during that call. When I visited, he actually walked out on me when we were fighting and left me to cry alone in a room for 3 hours. I was shocked at his cowardly, mean side then so really this is not so far off.
                    Oh no. Can I just say, hell no. That is so unfair to you :/. I am so sorry. Take time for yourself to focus on you and heal.

Comment

I didn't get closure. We got into a big fight a little over a month ago, I asked if he still loved me he said yes but one more thing and I'm done. We spoke normally for 2 days and then he deleted me from his life. It officially hit me last week when he removed himself from our shared Dropbox where our photos were. The hope and denial I was holding on for a month was wiped away. I never got my closure. I guess he had no respect for what we had, 7 wonderful months of CD and him talking about marriage and our future.

Things are said at the time that are genuine and from the heart, but things change. If one partner isn't able to get through rough patches, better now than later.
                      Last edited by Jessipoo; July 10, 2012, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X