Visting on his 21st birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visting on his 21st birthday

My boyfriend and I go to the same college, but are long-distance for the summer. His 21st birthday is coming up, so I am visiting him for the first time (he's visited me twice). That's probably unrelated...ANYWAY (haha). I'm not around drunk people too often, my close friends don't drink, including my boyfriend. But my boyfriend plans on drinking at his party, and will probably end up getting drunk since it will be his first time.

When we discussed this months ago, I teased him about how he was going to be an entertaining drunk. To be honest, I'm kind of dreading it now. I've been in situations before where I was the only sober one...and I always end up feeling awkward, uncomfortable and out of place. I'm not very close with the people that will be at his party; in fact, they all work together so it's kind of one big clique, and I'll already be feeling like an outsider. I fear that once my boyfriend gets drunk, he'll act completely different, maybe even ignore me (even though he'd never even think of doing that sober). Most (not all) of the people at the party will be 21 and drinking. I do know the one or two girls that are still 20...but I'm making an entire trip to spend time with my boyfriend, not them. I'll only be there for 48 hours or so, and then I won't see him for another 4-5 weeks.

I'm completely fine with him drinking and having his fun on his birthday. But the main reason I'm a little upset about the situation is because...I honestly just wish we could experience drinking/getting drunk for the first time together. Is that strange?

Im British so we have much more of a culture of social drinking than some nations so im used to being around drunk people! However i can see how if youre not used to it you might find it a bit intimidating, i know that if any of the friends im out with start getting too loud or over confident i find it awkward. So you're not alone there!

You dont know what he going to be like after hes had a few, he might get swept up in the party or he may only have eyes for you (my bf becomes very loving after a few and cant keep his hands off!) so try not to worry before youve even got there! He may not change at all!

I'm presuming youre not 21 hence not drinking? If so he obviously wants to have a drink on his 21st and although maybe it would have been nice to experience that for the first time together if you dont/cant drink then personally i think it would be unfair to ask him not to just so you can experience it together. Remember you will be in his experience of getting drunk for the first time even if your not drinking so youre not missing out on much.

Comment

Working...
    X