Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is asking for a week off too much to ask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is asking for a week off too much to ask?

I am having an internal conflict and I would like some opinions about whether or not I am being unreasonable. My boyfriend visited me for three days right after I got out of school this past May, and I believe we parted a month ago today actually. I want us to start planning for a visit during the summer, but not sure how this will work out.

I am a full-time college student. I do not work during the school year because I need to study to keep up my scholarships, and I also receive enough financial aid to support myself during the semester, so basically, I am broke most of the time. I know we might get to visit one another more than others on this site, but before we began our relationship, we agreed that we would meet up every month--and for the first year, we had visits every month (most of them due to him or his father paying for our tickets).

My SO graduated from college this past December, but now the situation has changed a tad because now my SO has to pay rent and insurance and whatnot (he didn't have to pay those before), so he does not have as much disposable income as he used to. Now, we are looking at two months to three months between each visit, if we can even pull a summer one off...

I started working at the local movie theater a week ago and make minimum wage. This is a summer job, and when school starts I will quit working since I will live two hours away. However, I will be able to pick up hours during the holidays when I come home, like during Thanksgiving and Christmas break. My SO works two jobs, one as a cook at a restaurant and another as a video game tester.

Anyway, my SO wants me to fly out and see him since he came to see me last time, and he said we could split the ticket price since I will be working. However, Is there even a chance that I could get a week off when I am only working two months??? I got a week off last year during my summer job, and I thought I would have a good chance this summer as well.

However, I talked to my mom a few hours ago and told her about my plan, and she said I was naive and unrealistic because she says most people have to work a year before they can get a week off >.< She said that my SO is a man, so he should be the one who comes and see me in the first place because he makes more money than me anyway. (My mom is usually negative like this about everything, and when she says things like this I usually get confused and become negative as well. I wouldn't even be dating my SO now if I had listened to her, but I still wonder if she is correct about this one...).

But to my main question:
    Am I asking to much to get a week off when I just started working a week ago and my last day will be in the middle of August? I do not mean to rush it, but we would need to start looking at tickets pronto to get one at a reasonable price. (we have a book we can request off in and if the manager signs it that means they will allow it)

Would it be better to talk to my manager first and let him tell me what will be reasonable before I put it down in the book?

Or should I request less days off--four days minimum since two will be spent flying? The only thing about this option is that I want to get our money's worth out of the trip since we will possibly not see one another until Thanksgiving (which is my next break). But then the problem with Thanksgiving is that I will probably have to work then too since my mom will want me to.

Or is my mom right and my SO should come see me??? O_o
    Last edited by Bluestars; June 17, 2010, 09:31 PM.

When I worked during the summers when I was in college I would always get a week off to go camping with my family and it was never an issue. I would just tell them I couldn't work that week. I never once thought that it was too much to ask because I was only a temporary worker and was not a regular employee that got benefits. They know you're there to just make a few extra bucks during the summer. As long as you're a good worker and get along with the manager, you'll be okay.
    Read my LDR story!
    Facebook
    Instagram

Comment

Thanks I talked to my SO last night and realized that my mother just freaked me out. I think I will still wait a week to ask though, but he said that if I couldn't get off, he would come see me, so that put a little bit of the pressure off

Comment

As i see it.
        You could always talk to your manager about it and see what happens.
        Otherwise as you said your SO can visit you instead

You'll be alright
        Good luck with everything!

Comment

Working...
        X