Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it impossible to get back together through distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it impossible to get back together through distance?

Hello all...I did post on a few other forums, but I wanted a good perspective from different experiences and advice if possible. First off I'm really glad I found this website although it was a little late considering I was just broken up by my SO. Although it went down I really would like to work things out and get back together with him. Maybe the old relationship should have been destroyed since it was toxic at times, but to build a new one with him would be something I would like to do...at the same time I would have to have that stubborn guy consider this as well.

I'm sorry this is a long post, but I wanted to get some perspective and so here I am again looking for some sound advice.

My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 years...most of it Long Distance. He is in the military so there was a few times when he was in deployment so it was mutual that we couldn't be together. But mainly because I'm Japanese and I always was stubborn in stating that I didn't want to feel like I was marrying him for a visa...and now having a visa would solve all this mess in the first place since we would be together by now.

We had a few rough patches with a big blowout off period (2 months) and then back on since then. When we were on which is 90% of the time it was great. We loved each other and visited when we could financially (USA and Asia so its a costly trip). We always talked about being together long term...but I never set a date on when it was ending. I was always there for him through his really tough times and talking him out of those times. He has always been there for me and still considers me his best friend.

We had been texting frequently as of late and things were great. We were discussing when I could see him later this August when things settled down for him with his job working all week long. It was all so well until a few days ago when he just quiet down.

This morning he and I talked...and he told me that we should break up because he can't be in a serious relationship right now. He finally is stable in his job, likes working there, and I always encouraged him to follow his dreams. He also is going back to school (with my advice and prompting) and has a lot going on. So he said that he didn't want to stop the motion and couldn't be with me because he feels that we are going in different directions. He couldn't be in a serious relationship right now because of all this in his life.

I was a little upset and cried a little at first, but after the first 5 minutes I calmed down and was very level headed. I didn't beg or acted insane. I thought things through and appealed to him logically. I told him that I didn't feel like we were going in different directions just took a very long time for us to get in sync and cross paths which we are right now. My mistake is that I have terrible timing and I should have agreed to be with him sooner. I just simply told him well we should put an end to the long distance part of the relationship and do what we always wanted to and be with each other.

He did mention that once he let go of hope of us being together that it was easier in letting go...and that not living to be with me on a daily basis made him feel better. I did tell him he should be living every day for himself and not for someone else. I always complemented him, but that wasn't always the case. We did grow up a little together from early college to almost thirtys. The image he has is a bit of myself when I was in my irrational state post college and I feel we both changed in a good way together and grew up. I did tell him that I wanted to be with him and that everything he wanted (house, kids, dog, etc.) was what I wanted with him and we were not going in separate paths but it was crossing finally.

He kept saying that he didn't want to hurt me and that he still considered me his best friend...but I was calm collected and told him that I much rather be with him than without him. His reasoning was that he had a lot going on and he wanted to keep it going and not stop. He just felt as though we were on different paths. He said that he wanted to be like his co-workers, have a family, a house, and etc...which is what we've talked about but not really discussed. I was calm and he doesn't think I am a total insane girl which I think helps. He and I are on the same page, its just him giving up hope made him drop my out of his life and I know we are meant to be otherwise we wouldn't have lasted this long from post college to almost thirty. He is worried his best years are passing by.

I would like to make things better with him and reconcile...it is hard with distance, but 7 years is not something that I take lightly and with all our ups and downs we've always managed to figure out a way...any help advice would be great. I was considering CD this time when I was visiting him in August but that I am not sure is happening if we aren't together. I was always making up excuses to not CD and I know he got tired of waiting...I just want to get it through his thick head that he doesn't have to wait because I want to do it and be with him...but him telling me he doesn't think he can be in a serious relationship puts a damper on things...ok I'm rambling! Sorry

I wouldt hope for a reconciliation until you know if you want to do close distance because to be honest he's entitled to a relationship that has firm plans.

Comment

I've been afraid all these years because I was so insecure, but lately I was ready to move to him which I wanted to discuss when I saw him next time. We were discussing seeing each other in August since the plane tickets were getting cheaper then and our last meeting went so well. I thought these things like me moving would be best discussed in person rather than on the phone...I guess trying to surprise him really want the right move.

I know we've been LD for 7 years but he was deployed a few times and that put a few strains in our relationship back then. I grew up, so did he. I'm ready to move to him. You're right it's unfair to him that I made him wait. Now I am sure. The visa thing might be an issue in my moving since I'm not American but that's just one of the few obstacles.

I do want to close the distance.

Comment

I don't understand why you would think you're marrying him for a visa? If you love him, you're marrying him for him, the visa is just something that'll make it easier for you to travel to him.

Comment

It is possible. But, you both have to want it. Sometimes a relationship gets to the point where it's just "too little, too late" and then the damage is beyond repair. I hope that this hasn't happened to you and you can show him that you're ready to do this.

My advice would be go there in August, like planned, whether you're officially together or not, and stake your claim. You need to prove you're willing to follow through, and that might take a bit of risk on your end.
          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Apologies my reply got longer

Originally posted by Jgui View Post
            I don't understand why you would think you're marrying him for a visa? If you love him, you're marrying him for him, the visa is just something that'll make it easier for you to travel to him.
            A lot of the times he just wanted me to move to see him when I couldn't take off. He was unemployed I had employment and he was feeling down...50% of the time he just told me to move to him he never asked me to marry him. When he did ask me to marry him he became irrational...I know its not just signing paper work for a visa you have to involve lawyers and that incurs a fee. Neither of us had any money and it wasn't in the possible realms. Like I said I kept making excuses because I was afraid to leave. We were both young at times and did a lot of growing up...I saw him grow up before me and I just was a bit behind in that aspect. It is my fault that I was a little late, but now I see that marrying him would be for him not a visa...but he never asked me to marry him since 5 years ago. Every time he asked me to move its just to move and not necessarily marry him so that is another aspect that kept me form just moving.

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
            It is possible. But, you both have to want it. Sometimes a relationship gets to the point where it's just "too little, too late" and then the damage is beyond repair. I hope that this hasn't happened to you and you can show him that you're ready to do this.

My advice would be go there in August, like planned, whether you're officially together or not, and stake your claim. You need to prove you're willing to follow through, and that might take a bit of risk on your end.
            He told me that he use to wake up every day with the hopes of us being together and that fueled his motivation...I kept telling him that he shouldn't put that as motivation and he should be motivated because he is doing something for himself. Being together should be something we both put into perspective. You're right it comes to a point of no return. I just hope that him destroying the past relationship, moving in a better place in life to do better, and dropping hope of us being together would enable us to build something on top of the rubble to something better with an end goal this time of us together. We never talked about an end goal and I think in his mind I'm still the girl that kept making excuses not to do something...but now I'm starting to do everything I kept making excuses for and I feel good. The past relationship might be dead but that doesn't mean you can't build a better one on top of that.

I'm thinking of going there in August...but I haven't spoken to him since the break up (although I did make a counter offer to his break up) and I was completely calm and collected listening to him, I texted him for 2 days but it was very short and he just ended with TTYL which I haven't replied to. I do have to show him that I am not the girl he remembers just sitting at home making excuses any more. I take risks at work, but not in my personal life. I always think with my head not with my heart. He was all heart and I have to prove to him even if there is a risk on my end. I just don't think taking off is a good thing since that would be very abrupt...just making it to him is the bigger picture and establish a communication so I can tell him this. He made it so easy for me to leave....since then he's been overly posting on FB and it seems like he is showing off that he is OK. I'm just hopeful that I can step up before its too late.

Comment

Working...
            X