HOW do you watch movies together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW do you watch movies together?

My SO and I had our first distance movie date last night. It was actually really fun. I was expecting it to be weird or uncomfortable, but I liked it. We just started a movie on Netflix at the same time, and chatted on google chat.

So I was wondering... How do you watch movies? Do you just watch it alone, or webcam, or type chat, or talk on the phone? Have you tried alternate methods and not liked them?
    Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
    Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
    Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
    LD again: July 24, 2012
    Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
    Married: November 1, 2014
    Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Most times we either do what you do, both watch movies on netflix at the same time. We've also tried where one of us watches the movie on our TV and then turns the laptop cam to it and watch it that way but our connection is horrible sometimes and the movie is all lagged out so that doesn't work out. But yeah, both us watching at the same time (with headphones) and either talking or typing has been the best method we've found so far.

Comment

We'll both watch the same thing on Netflix or from a file on our laptops, and then we type chat during the movie. It's one of my favourite things to do.

Comment

We turn on Skype, and then chat casually while both watching the same DVD on our respective TVs. We don't have to chat constantly - we allow each other to pay attention to the movie - but we offer occasional commentary to each other the same way we would if we were sitting together on the couch, or at the cinema.
        I really enjoy it.

P.

Comment

Whilst it is playing simultaneously on our respective computers. Generally over Skype voice or webcam.

Comment

Originally posted by Alemap View Post
            but we offer occasional commentary to each other the same way we would if we were sitting together on the couch, or at the cinema.
            I really enjoy it.
            Lol, my bf and I do exactly the same thing only we both watch the same movie while we're on the phone with each other a lot. He randomly decided to put on the same movie I was watching one time when he called and it became "our date thing" after that haha. I thought it was cute how he was able to sync it up so precise when I was already a good ways into the movie.

Comment

so we were actually experimenting today with sharing our desktop on skype to watch a movie. The biggest issue we have is that you can't have a headset plugged in on the end of the person sharing the video or there will be no sound for the other person. So, without the headset it makes it really hard to hear the person talk if one does talk cause the movie is louder than the person talking. Any suggestions on a workaround for that?

Comment

We don't do the share screen. We just play our movies in Windows Media Classic in his case VLC simultaneously while chatting over Skype. I used to do the share screen of TV episodes via Skype when my daughter was living with her father and yes, the speaker stuff can get mildly annoying.

Comment

My SO put all of his movies onto my harddrive before he left, then when we were on skype, he'd play his a bit in VLC, pause, I'd play mine, and he'd un-pause his so we were synced up lol Never knew just trying to watch a movie together would have to be so technical!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                  <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                  The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                  <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                  <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                  Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                  Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

So we are doing it this way now, we start the show at the same time on netflix and use Vent to talk. Using vent allows me to adjust the show volume and his speaking volume separately so I can hear him over the show Working pretty good so far. Vent also uses push to talk so it doesn't pick up all the other extraneous sounds like skype does.

Comment

My SO an I have never actually tried this but it sounds like it would be fun. We both love movies and every time we see each other we go to the movies together. I think we would both enjoy this. We'll have to give it a try! (:

"I love you and I've loved you all along and I miss you. Been far away for far too long."<3

Comment

Originally posted by Sanney4709 View Post
                        My SO an I have never actually tried this but it sounds like it would be fun. We both love movies and every time we see each other we go to the movies together. I think we would both enjoy this. We'll have to give it a try! (:
                        You definitely should We watch online for free and type chat at the same time. Its a great way to unwind.
                        “The ties that binds us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply… meant to be.” - Grey’s Anatomy

>Little Box<

Comment

We just hit play at the same time,, counting down on msn or webcams.
                          You guys should try Team Viewer for sharing desktops, it's pretty neat and it has a file transfer option too. Sometimes we just open google and search random stuff (him on my desktop) - yahoo answers never gets old xD

Comment

We haven't actually done/thought about this, but he is still bitter [in a loving way haha] that I've not watched certain movies but I put him through some of mine when we were still CD, so these are great ideas...sounds cute, if technical.

Comment

We actually went to the movies...
                              My friends thought it was silly and corny to do that but whatever.

We chose a movie to go see at the theater and the day we wanted to see it.
                              I took pics of the theater to show him what it looks like, and he took pics of what snacks he was ordering.
                              We texted each other before the movie started and we talked about it over msn when we got home.

Doing that experience I was both happy and sad.
                              Happy because we were doing something fun (goin to the theater to see a good movie and gettin snacks!)
                              And it took us 'out of the house' for a tad. It was also fun to talk about the movie and funny things at the theatre (like next to me this guy was burping all the time... yes really)
                              So it was a funny thing to tell my SO :P

But I was sad because the seat next to me was empty and I so wished he would have been there.

So I have mixed feelings about that.

I didn't try Netflix yet.
                              ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

Working...
                              X