Promise rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promise rings?

My girlfriend is due to leave to work aboard a cruise ship for 7 months. We have talked about getting married and decided that it is something we want to do but it will take ages to save up for the ring i want (it needs to be this exact ring as it holds so much sentimental value to our relationship). So i told her i wouldn't propose until i was in a position to give her this ring. She is understandably delighted and happy to wait for this ring.

But, do you think it would be a good idea to get her/us promise a ring before she goes away as a commitment to get engaged at a later date??

Thanks

I think its a great idea its a promise for something even better and I'm sure she'll be happy with any ring you give her

Comment

Originally posted by Keyk View Post
      I think its a great idea its a promise for something even better and I'm sure she'll be happy with any ring you give her
      Even if it's not a diamond ring? I couldn't afford even a small one at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis1311 View Post
        Even if it's not a diamond ring? I couldn't afford even a small one at the moment
        I think when it comes to commitment rings like promise rings you don't have to buy anything too fancy. I think the fancy rings should be saved for engagement rings and for weddings. Unless she likes the shiny stuff.. remember giving a ring to someone should be completely your own opinion I know there are a lot of people saying "the bigger the stone the more he loves you" its like saying thats all your love is worth.. I think something that holds value to both of you will do even if it a plastic or rubber ring. Just make sure it will last a bit longer Don't be too pressured on promise rings I suggest you save that money for the engagement ring instead and buy her a cheaper promise ring.

Comment

Us girls aren't as material as you think. If it's a promise ring she'll know it's not permanent. I would suggest getting her something that is more representative of your intentions to marry her. Like a ring with an infinity symbol on it. Try https://www.etsy.com/search?q=infinity%20ring&view_type=gallery&ship_to =ZZ&min=0&max=0 it has tonnes of unique stuff and the prices are actually really good.

But I agree with Keyk, she'll love anything you give her because she loves you and try to do something cute when you give it to her if you want to give it even more meaning!

Comment

I think it is a good idea! It doesn't have to be anything expensive. My SO just gave me one for our 2 year anniversary and I LOVE it! It's a Claddagh ring. =] Any girl would be happy with anything her guy gives her. It's because you were thinking of her when you bought it, so price doesn't make a difference.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Thanks everyone I think i will do it. One more thing though, I have found a cubic zirconia version of the exact ring i will be buying her. Should i get this one (its not expensive) or should i stay clear of this and save it for the real thing, instead buy something more simple as a promise ring?

Comment

Thanks everyone I think i will do it. One more thing though, I have found a cubic zirconia version of the exact ring i will be buying her. Should i get this one (its not expensive) or should i stay clear of this and save it for the real thing, instead buy something more simple as a promise ring?
                I'd vote stay clear and buy something different that she'll also love.
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Hmm well that depends on what you think she will like best. On my opinion though I would like a different looking ring for myself, but that's only my opinion If your going to tell her about the promise ring you can also ask her to pick one or pick one of the rings you can afford or pick one of the rings your thinking of giving her. If it's a surprise, then thats up to you which one she would like

Comment

She's awkward as she likes really unusual stuff!! In fact the other day she was wearing 4 different animals on each finger lol. I do like Bow rings, they would make a nice promise ring and are a little bit different?? Would you be happy with a bow ring??

Comment

She's awkward as she likes really unusual stuff!! In fact the other day she was wearing 4 different animals on each finger lol. I do like Bow rings, they would make a nice promise ring and are a little bit different?? Would you be happy with a bow ring??
                      bow rings are cute too. As I said any ring will do to make her happy and to know that you really like her I'm sure you know her well enough to know which rings she would like or not like.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyk View Post
                        bow rings are cute too. As I said any ring will do to make her happy and to know that you really like her I'm sure you know her well enough to know which rings she would like or not like.
                        Haha i know her well but when it comes to rings she's in a league of her own!! Thanks so much for your help

Comment

Haha i know her well but when it comes to rings she's in a league of her own!! Thanks so much for your help
                          Your very welcome! Glad I could help you out. I am also currently looking for one for my SO, he already bought me mine now I just need to find one for him.

Comment

Stay away from fake rings! They turn your finger green. I've seen some nice rings online for $70 or less. I think this is a cute idea. :]
                            Made it official: 12-01-10
                            First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
                            Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Anything can be a promise ring. I'm wearing a $7 claddagh ring that, although not a promise (for marriage) ring, it is a commitment ring. Whatever you can afford that will make a statement and she will like. A bow ring sounds really cute.

Comment

Working...
                              X