US to Canada immigration help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US to Canada immigration help?

Not really sure if I am posting this in the right place, but I am graduating from culinary school in a year and DB and I are wanting to close the distance between us (I am in Los Angeles/San Diego and he is in Calgary, AB, Canada)

I have been trying to read the Canadian immigration website, but it's totally confusing to me. It makes it seem that if we aren't married, or have tons of extra cash just laying around then it's down right impossible to close this stupid distance thing.

Looking for some guidance I guess. Help?

My post count is too low to suggest a good website, but I'm sure other forum members will know where I'm speaking of and post it. They can help answer specific questions. Even if you are married it can still be a nightmare. From what I've seen it's just as tedious to go from the US to Canada, or Canada to the US. I have a good friend trying to get her new husband to her in Canada, and it's a lot harder than thought, but still very much doable. Good luck.

Comment

Hey! I think the correct forum should be this one (Closing the Distance). And, yes, normally people close the distance on a spousal visa, though that in itself is a HUGE step and takes a lot of time to process. The other solution, since you've been to culinary school, is to find a job and go there on a work visa, which is just as daunting and hard to find, since a lot of places wouldn't want to hire outside -- but I've known a lot of people who've done that.

If you have time, and since you live in LA, you can try going to the Canadian consulate (I'm 99% sure LA would have one) and try talking to an immigration official to see what advice they'd offer.

I haven't closed the distance with my SO yet, but I've travelled a lot and heard a lot of visa stories, so HOPEFULLY I'm not too off about this information. (:
      "If you get hungry enough, they say, you start eating your own heart"

Comment

omgosh, that is such a great idea! I would have never in a million years have thought to go to the Canadian consulate! I know it's going to be hassle and long process, I guess that's why I'm trying to get a grip on what is going on, and what to do, for in the future. Thanks so much for both of your replies. I hate feeling so alone in this =\

Comment

Working...
        X