Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LDR Just Became a CDR and Its Going Terribly...Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDR Just Became a CDR and Its Going Terribly...Please Help!

In advance, I apologize if this post turns out to be lengthy.

My SO came to New York from Europe about a week ago to close our LDR. He is here on a student visa; he gave up his apartment and left his friends and family. Technically, he's here for only a year while on sabbatical from work, but if he finds meaningful employment, he'll stay. The day after he arrived, we were on the computer together and he was checking his Facebook. He was super excited to put up a status about being here in the States for an extended period of time. He went to check his messages and he had two new messages both from women, one from an ex girlfriend and one from a friend. He opened and read the one from his friend but not from his ex. Obviously it was because I was sitting right next to him; what did he have to hide? This thought loomed in my mind. Later that night, I went onto Facebook from my phone. When I opened it, it opened to my SO's Facebook, not mine. He had been using my phone to check his FB and was still logged in. I know I shouldn't have done this, but I snooped. I opened the message that he didn't read in front of me. And what I found was shocking.

He had been talking with his ex for over a year through Facebook, which is ok, I know he is still friends with many of his exes (yes there are many of them :o/) so that isn't what bothers me. What really hurt was the nature of their conversation. To sum up their convos (over the course of a few months), he asked her to put up recent pictures of herself and she responded that she put it up in an album that is private so only he can see (why only for him to see??!!?), he later responded by complimenting her body, but in a manner that made me believe they were inappropriate pictures, ie nude. He then asked her to put up more pics. In another message he asked her to "come over this weekend, it will be perfect" (what? why does your ex need to come over your house, and he barely ever has anyone over, only his best friend and sister) In another message later on she said, "thank you for the other night, you were great" (?????WHAT?????). I was so hurt and furious that I can be so naive. He was asleep next to me while I was reading this. I woke him up and asked him about it.

He was furious that I snooped in his FB and said that I messed up big time, trying to ignore what I discovered by placing shame on me for snooping. He said that he hasn't seen that girl in years and that she put up pictures of herself topless for him to see (I told him I couldn't believe what he responded and that he asked her to put up more). He admitted to me that the girl that was supposed to come see him the night he left for NY was her (he told me a friend was coming to see him) but that when they tried to call each other the phone lines were messed up and she ended up not going. The only thing I could think was great, they have each other's numbers. Which means that whatever was in the FB messages are not all inclusive and could have continued by phone/text. So when he said "come over this weekend" did she call him and take him up on the offer?? I honestly do not trust my SO anymore. How can he still speak to this girl after she sent him pics of herself nude? Why did he ask her to come over? That shows a complete lack of respect for me. I repeatedly told him that if the distance was too difficult or that if he found himself liking someone else to tell me and it would be ok. After we argued, things were left up in the air and he went back to sleep. In the morning he gave me a hug and we haven't spoken about it since. For a week I didn't really think about it and it seemed I was successfully moving past it. Then yesterday I had a lot of alone time and everything came rushing back to me. All the hurt that I felt when I was reading the messages. I couldn't even look at him yesterday. When he would touch my hair, kiss me, all I could think was did he do this with her?

The point is I don't know what to do. My SO moved his entire life to come here (supposedly to be with me) and now is when I find out about this. In all honesty, if he was still in Europe I would have broken up with him over this. But he has only been here for a week, should I still break up with him? He already paid for school this semester and is supposed to start next week. I moved out of my mother's house (and she won't even talk to me because I moved) to be with him. I don't know how to move past this or if I can even trust him. Is this a big enough thing to break up over? Do the content of the messages sound sketchy to you as well, or is it just me? How can I move past this? What should I do now? Please any advice, I'll greatly appreciate. Thank you so much for reading.
    Last edited by Skye; September 1, 2012, 04:22 PM.

He moved to a strange country, and moved in with you.
    Had he still been in Europe you would have never found out. I believe this deserves a 2nd chance. If he starts getting funny about computer time, or talking/texting when you are around, then I would question it.
    Throw it out there that if you two are living together that you have to be 100% honest with each other.
    everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

I'm sorry, there would be no way for me to give him a "2d chance". He was planning on hooking up with another girl and planned it for quite some time. That would be a deal breaker for me, but everyone has different tolerance levels I guess. I would tell him he can go move in with the other girl, but again, that's me. You have to decide that for yourself.

Comment

You shouldnt have gone snooping, but you already know that.

You two have to talk about it and try and get him to be honest with you. You two have both given up a lot to be together, dont waste it all because of something like this. But you have to talk about it, get the air clear and see where you both stand.

If you are going to be living together then you have to be honest with each other. He must care for you if he moved all that way to be with you, so as subeasley said, give him a second chance, if you can work through it. If you still have doubt about it, or feel he isnt giving you the truth then i would say you might have to give the relationship a rethink. After whats happened, you deserve the truth.

Comment

Different people would do different things in this situation. But first things first, you need to talk to him about it. You both need to sit down, and you need to calmly ask him about it, and he needs to tell you the whole story. Don't assume anything until you have heard everything he has to say, (I know I hate when people assume things without talking to me first). Then, once you've had your talk, figure out together what you would like to do. He did come all the way to a new country to be with you, so he must care a lot about you. This is something you have to work through together, and be calm when you do so. Good luck!
          started dating: 12/08/12
          "i love you": 04/12/13
          el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
          montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
          el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
          montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
          el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
          el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
          el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
          san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
          san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

I went through a similar situation with my ex.

You need to talk to your SO... let all out and clear the air... Yes, he gave up on a lot of things to be with you physically, but you did too, and he screwed up BIG time while being LD. I'm not sayingit is not possible to trust again but it's going to take a while.

Be strong. Massive hugs.

“Laughing like children, living like lovers, rolling like thunder under the covers”

Comment

I know everybody handles things differently but oh my god if that were me I would have kicked him out right then and there. The fact that you snooped is irrelevant to his cheating (yes, I said it). He openly admitted to asking this girl for nude photos repeatedly and even planned on having her over and lets be real here, it wasn't just as friends. Be glad you found out now instead of later.
              Made it official: 12-01-10
              First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
              Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Yup... Snooping is wrong but it's nothing compared to cheating...

“Laughing like children, living like lovers, rolling like thunder under the covers”

Comment

What I can see here is he was either unfaithful to you or he was planning on being unfaithful and missed his opportunity. And then he tried to fib his way out of it.

Additionally, he signed into his FB on YOUR phone. If he's going to be a dishonest bastard, the least he can do is log out when he's done. I don't think you've done anything wrong here.

I can't say I'd know what to do. I think in your shoes, I'd probably feel trapped and I'd stick it out a bit longer. But talk to him again, and tell him that this is still really bothering you and perhaps suggest a few things that might make you feel better.
                  Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I don't know if this will be useful advice at all, but my ex moved to my city to be with me and I found out he was unfaithful pretty early on (within 3 months). I let it go. I kinda wish I hadn't. He never changed.

Comment

I think everyone here has given excellent advice, but I agree wholeheartedly with alittlemind, that you NEED to talk to him, first. It's impossible to form conclusions without complete information; give him the courtesy of listening, but don't let him walk all over you, either. My gut is telling me he was about to cheat on you, but, then again, I don't know the whole story. It definitely sounds sketchy, and I am so sorry you are going through this, especially when you should be celebrating your happiness of being together, finally. *super huge hug*

My best advice to you would be 1)talk to him; 2)demand complete honesty from him; 3)give yourself time to process the information he gives you; 4)make an informed decision that is about what's best for you. You should never stay in a relationship simply because it's the "right" thing to do. You have to take care of yourself, first; if you're not okay, you can't live fully, let alone give your whole heart to a relationship.

Sweetie, I wish you the best of luck, and please pm me if you need to talk. Try to be calm and collected, but my heart goes out to you. No one should have to ever deal with cheating, potential or not. Many hugs and much love to you!
                      "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

Very sorry to hear this

You shouldn't have gone snooping, but obviously, he was keeping something from you, and you found out.

I'm honestly not sure what I would do in this situation... I kind of want to give him a second chance, but at the same time, it sounds like he was basically planning to hook up with his ex one last time before flying to be with you... That's not cool at all, and like you said, if he was still in Europe when you found this out, you would break up with him, so...the only reason you're not is because he left everything behind and is living with you now.

I'm truly sorry you're in this situation... If you're able to work things out, I would just be wary of him. If he has to go back to Europe after a year, who's to say he won't hook up with his ex again?
                        First met online: October 15th, 2011
                        First met in-person: July 13th, 2012

Next meeting: September 21st, 2012

Comment

Honestly, if my SO had a message from an ex that he purposely didn't read when I was sitting beside him, I'd have done the exact same thing. I of course think snooping is bad, but that's just such an obvious sign that something's not right... guh.

I'm so so sorry about all of this, I can't imagine how it must feel. I agree that you need to talk to him, and you need to think long and hard about what you want. Yes he sacrificed a lot to be with you, but he also did something horrible to you, and he isn't even sorry. The fact that he said you messed up big time and was willing to argue about it speaks volumes about how it registers with him - he didn't take responsibility for cheating, and has done absolutely nothing to show you that it won't happen again. Cheaters can change, but I am really worried about how he's reacted. Has he been even a bit remorseful? My SO has this one friend who has cheated on every single girl he's dated, and he has a technique for when he gets caught - point out some flaw in the relationship, and make it feel like it's her fault. Someone who would never do it again would feel horrible for a once-off thing, and would do everything to prove, without your asking, that he will do anything to regain your trust.

I'm not wanting to say that I think you should break up with him or stay with him, that's up to you entirely. You do need to figure out how he feels about what happened, because I'm worried that he's more angry he got caught than angry with himself for what he did.

I also just wanted to add, I know you're not sure if he did physically cheat with her or not, but as far as I'm concerned, he absolutely did cheat. Even if it was restricted to online photos and messages, he was being unfaithful to you.
                          Last edited by kteire; September 2, 2012, 01:56 AM.

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                          Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Wow, this is a tough one. I'm totally against snooping, but I'm with Zephii, it was YOUR phone! You have a right to check things on your phone. If he's too dumb to log out, well then he gets what he gets.

I understand he moved his whole life for you, but are you sure he didn't maybe want to come to the states anyway? I can't imagine a guy so in love that he'd have his ex sending him topless pics, and it's not like this was a year ago, it was very recent, and that's f'ed up. You aren't obligated to give him a second chance, moving was his choice, as was agreeing to meet up with some other girl.

I'm not saying you should just dump him, but I wouldn't stay just because he moved. What he did was completely unacceptable, and very disrespectful to you, and you need to consider this situation very carefully. You can't have a good, healthy, successful relationship without trust so you'll need to decide if it's possible to rebuild that trust. Good luck to you, this is a hard place to be in.
                            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Woah, what a messed up situation! Even though I like to *say* that I think snooping is wrong, in your situation, I probably would've done the same thing. It was on your phone! So don't feel too guilty about that one.

And yes, the content of the messages are completely sketchy. You are not overreacting on this. Plus, he admitted that she sent him topless photos since they hadn't seen each other in a long time. Who does that?

I guess you'll have to decide what is right for you BUT don't let guilt keep you in the relationship ("oh but he moved all the way here for me"). You have to do what is best for you regardless of the fact he moved there for you. If he can be completely honest with you and you feel like trust can be rebuilt, then by all means go for that. But if things are beyond repair, then give yourselves some time to get your stuff together and go. He's an adult who made his own decisions so if he ends up living in NY alone or moving back, so be it. Don't let guilt keep you.

Comment

Working...
                              X