Merchant navy seafarer LDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merchant navy seafarer LDR

Hey I'm new here, I was wondering if anyone here has shared the experience of being in a relationship with a seafarer in the merchant navy. Not the actual navy but someone who is away long periods of time at sea because of the oil or fishing industry? My partner is home month on month off usually, so on average he is away 6 months of the year. At the moment he's away for three full months on the other side of the planet... It's the longest we've been apart and we have little, often no, contact. Only recently does his satelitte phone work again. The days with no contact are the hardest.

Anyone able to relate?

It's strange being home missing him just waiting for him to come home.

Hello, I'm a Seaman (Seafarer) Imma go work at sea next year.
    I told my SO that I'll just work only for 5 or 6 years at sea.
    Because I need to finish the house for my parents.

This sounds weird but, I'll go change my profession from Seaman to a Carer (Caregiver).
    I really don't need more money though, I just want to spend my time with my SO and our kids (soon).

well uhm anyway, welcome to lfad, have a nice day
    After all that we've been through, It all comes down to me and you.
    I guess it's meant to be, Forever you and me, After all.

Comment

Hey! I live in a country where lots of guys go into merchant navy. I know quite a few couples and as hard as it is, they are married with families and seem very happy together. One couple have been going like that for 25 years and they're one of the happiest most connected couples I know. It's difficult because in most other LDRs there is an end date to closing the distance. But in a relationship like this, this is a way of life until retirement. You have to be very strong to handle it, but it can be done. Build a support network of family and friends and try to remember that having little contact isn't his choice but a circumstance he can't avoid. I know you must be worried too but keep in mind that bad news travel fast and if, god forbid, something bad would happen, you would hear about it very soon.

Good luck! Xx

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Thanks, it is hard to deal with but I always try to remind myself the contact issue or trip length he's away is out of his hands, and that whilst we both miss each other at least I am at home with friends and family whilst he's stuck away at sea.

Comment

Hi Porcelanne. I'm in the same situation. My bf left 3 months ago as a seaman too. He wont be back in another 6 months. Really finding it difficult sometimes not being able to be with him. How are you and your bf? Is he still in the same career?

Comment

Working...
          X