No announcement yet.

How do people treat your relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really dont care what people say, distance or no distance we both know we have something special that is what matters to me
    people have always been very skeptical about me commiting to him, leaving everything for a guy. but i know i m right people can be pretty rude sometimes

Comment

Most people initially will say, "That's not going to work out." when I first tell them or I can see they are keeping their opinion to themselves. The topic gets changed quickly though usually because they'll ask, "How did you meet?" and I say, "I studied abroad," and they'll say, "Wow! That's so cool!"
      My relationship started CD though so when I first told all of my family and close friends they were supportive. Whenever someone who is skeptical meets my SO, they change their mind. When my family and close friends met him, they already had a good opinion of him and their opinion grew. Everyone who meets him is like, "Wow! He's a keeper! You two are going to get married!"
      They agree with me though when I tell them the distance is rough and usually say, "I couldn't do that."

Comment

Originally posted by eveningsky View Post
        Most people initially will say, "That's not going to work out." when I first tell them or I can see they are keeping their opinion to themselves. The topic gets changed quickly though usually because they'll ask, "How did you meet?" and I say, "I studied abroad," and they'll say, "Wow! That's so cool!"
        My relationship started CD though so when I first told all of my family and close friends they were supportive. Whenever someone who is skeptical meets my SO, they change their mind. When my family and close friends met him, they already had a good opinion of him and their opinion grew. Everyone who meets him is like, "Wow! He's a keeper! You two are going to get married!"
        They agree with me though when I tell them the distance is rough and usually say, "I couldn't do that."
        Yeah much the same here. Both our families are really into us which is mostly what matters to me, I could care less about ALL of our friends being the same. My friends tend to think it's cute and wish us the best and everything. Her female friends tend to be really supportive, its some guys who say 'that wont last'. Usually guys who we know like her too, gotta love the idiots trying to put doubt in her mind so they can try their luck. She cares a lot less about that than I do fortunately though lol, and they dont say anything other than that so its ok I figure.

But my family loves her, and hers seems to quite like me lol, thats mostly what matters to me.

Comment

sounds like people who shouldn't have an opinion are opening there mouths!! And those who could give advice aren't really thinking what they're saying. I'm with you - four years is a lot.

As for my relationship, it was a big step I took moving 300 miles to be with him, and very early in the relationship but those who knew us well weren't negative at all and very supportive, it was actually quite surprising. Only those who barely knew us like colleagues asked "dont you think it's too fast?"

Comment

Originally posted by Honour View Post
            My relationship has always been met with distaste, mainly from my parents and certain friends. They don't believe it's a "relationship". So I mainly keep quiet about it, though I wish I didn't have to.
            That's how it is with me. Plus we have a pretty large age difference and my mom actually made the comment that "it's gross" and I was in absolute tears when she said that, and if the kids talk about him she freaks out and says "I can't believe you brought them into your perverse relationship". There is nothing perverse about our relationship at all. She has major issues with many parts of our relationship and thinks its compleate nonsense. I really try not to say anything about him and so do the kids and its really not fair to any of us. Plus damn near all my friends say its not a "real relationship" or "that do you really think he's not cheating on you he has needs". It breaks my heart that nobody takes our relationship seriously but I'm getting really good at ignoring all of them I just wish I didn't have too it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Malaga View Post
              Most people have been positive about our relationship, the worst we got was neutral or "I don't know how you do it, I wouldn't be able to", which is fine.
              Pretty much this for us too.

Comment

I've received mostly positive feedback.

A few people commend me for being able to maintain the relationship. Others wonder how I deal with the sexual side of it

Comment

Most people have been more shocked in a good way at our relationship- "Oh my god! That's amazing that you've been able to stay together!"
                  But there has been a lot of "S/He doesn't have to know" also.
                  Our parents have been our biggest obstacle. My parents, once our advocates, did a 180. My mom has come around. She will support anything that makes me happy and forces my dad to grudgingly accept it, but he is still rude to my SO.
                  His parents outright told him to break up with me (to which my SO simply hung up the phone LOL). His mom also made several attempt to play matchmaker between him and other girls... while we were together. His parents have come around (as of this spring) and support us. They actually bought me a "welcome to college" gift.
                  I feel like LDRs should have an "It gets easier" campaign some days. It really does get easier if you can just make it through the rough times.

Comment

My family has been supportive for the most part, but there were definitely some who didn't think it would last when we graduated college. My dad has always been supportive, so I have been lucky that way. Once we made it through my first year of grad school, my mom's attitude especially started changing which was nice. She actually talks to me now about our long term future like getting married and before she would tell me we might grow apart. I think she was just being protective, but I still found it discouraging.

We have a fair amount of mutual friends, but we both have our home friends and now I have my grad school friends too. Most of them don't understand how we do it and I used to get annoyed when they'd ask questions, but now I realize it's because they care.

Comment

some of my guy friends...my bandmates...like to razz me...poke fun...but...i don't really care that much what others think...i have to do what is right for me...and for my girlfriend....it's our life...not anyone elses...most are very good with it though

Comment

I feel like most people don't know how to react to our long distance relationship. People are either curious on how it works (like when we talk, how often, etc.) or they don't make much of a comment.

A classmate/friend of mine a couple weeks ago expressed that he didn't agree with long distance relationships, but I let the comment slide (he's since changed his opinion). But most of my classmates have been around for a good bit of our relationship, so they ask about him a lot and how we're doing and it makes me feel really good about it.

My family/family friends are just curious on how often we talk and what we're planning for the future.

I haven't really run into anyone who has told me they think this is a waste of time, etc. But I haven't about what Kaleb's new friends think about it, I'm curious now!
                        started dating: 12/08/12
                        "i love you": 04/12/13
                        el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
                        montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
                        el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
                        montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
                        el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
                        el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
                        el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
                        san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
                        san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

The friends who have met him just think: 'I hope for you he is coming back, hes a cool guy and we know you love him.'
                          The friends who have not met him sayin: 'you cannot consider him a bf, he's so far.... And there are plenty of locals.... don't know what are you waiting on'.

As for my family.... I have good and bad feedback...
                          Close family are just hoping to see me happy for once but are scared the distance wont close and I'll end up alone again.
                          Some family members just ignore me when I talk about it.
                          I think only 2 members of my family said they were supporting me and they cant wait to meet him.

So yeah...
                          Some ppl are helping, some not ^_^
                          ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

Originally posted by Sharon Q View Post
                            Everyone here keep wanting me to wait to move. The people I know, ( mainly school staff ) try to find some reason or another for me to stay here in Ohio.

when I try to explain that I've been with this guy for four years and that because of the distance I've missed parts of his life that Id like to be there for, they just treat it like its nothing... like four years with someone is nothing.

They even tried telling me to find an apartment here. Why would I waste my time with that? when my home is just a few cities over and I can stay with my dad until I'm ready to go to PA.

I understand that hardly any one that hasnt gone through it wont understand. But when I explain that I'm not waiting longer than what I have to, I get treated like I'm stupid, for what, moving to another state to be with someone I love? Who I've spent 3 years of CD with and 1 year of LD.

How do people view or express their opinion of your relationship?
                            My family views it with skepticism.

First Visit: September 2016
                            Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
                            Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
                            For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
                            John 4:12
                            I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

I haven't had a lot of trouble with it. My mom is extremely annoying about it and just makes fun of me for it, calling him my "Internet boyfriend." And she'll ask why I don't date "so and so" and I'll explain to her I'm committed to Michael and she just rolls her eyes and says I shouldn't take it seriously. My dad I think is relieved just because he doesn't have to deal with me sneaking out to meet him or getting pregnant. HA.

My friends are annoying about it as well. They tell me it's not real and it's creepy and I'm wasting my time on someone I can't have sex with My closest friends are okay with it though, especially my friend Ashley who was in a LDR for a while herself.

What gets people the most isn't that he lives far, but the age difference. It's not even four years, but when you're only 16 that number seems to mean a lot more. He'll be 20 years old when he visits in December and I will be 16 until July. People are always taken aback when I explain that to them. My parents don't mind as much because my mom dated my dad when she was 18 and they're nearly 12 years apart.... Yikes.

So yeah, it hasn't been a Big problem, just a tad annoying. Especially people telling me its "not real".

Comment

Working...
                              X