Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Boyfriend wants to visit, but we are broke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Boyfriend wants to visit, but we are broke!

This may seem like a silly post, but I figure the LDR community might have some advice. With both of us being in school, we can only see each other sparsely and on three day weekends. He has driven up to Oregon once before, but it took 12 hours, was tiring, and cut into a huge chunk of our time together. He wants to fly up on Thursday, October 18 from San Francisco/Oakland and depart from Portland/Eugene on Sunday, October 21. Does anyone know of any cheap airlines and/or promo/discount offers? We are both poor college students and becoming desperate.

Any advice or help you could offer would be much appreciated!

have you tried using Travelocity? It always compares the best deals with multiple airlines

Notes:
    Met: 8.17.09
    Started Dating: 8.20.09
    First Met: 10.2.10
    Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

American has flights on those dates for $89 out and $149 coming back. Not sure what your budget is but the flight times look pretty decent for max time to spend together.

Comment

From what I see on hipmunk. com there are some flights for around $188. That is excellent from some of the flights I've seen. It's with an airline called Alaska. I also use Kayak to look for flights. Also I heard some rumors about finding the cheapest flights at like Tuesday at 3pm or some crazieness. I'll keep a look out. Best of luck!

Comment

Jetblue also has some very inexpensive domestic flights. Always check flight comparison sites, though-- personally, I use Kayak, Expedia, and Travelocity, and I try to check all three if I can because sometimes (not often) one site will have a sale price that the other two don't see.

About the Tuesday at 3pm thing: it is mostly a rumor... some will attest to it being true, but there isn't a lot of evidence to back it up. xD The reasoning behind it is that most airlines used to update their prices and ticket availabilities on Tuesday afternoons/evenings, but a lot of them don't do that any more now that most people buy their tickets online and the algorithms for ticket pricing have advanced like crazy. Just check the tickets once or twice a day and try to be as flexible as possible with dates and times.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Southwest will have really cheap internet deals between cities (especially in the Western US). I used to fly with them all the time b/c I could get 1 way tickets for like $79 from Seattle to Oakland.

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
              About the Tuesday at 3pm thing: it is mostly a rumor... some will attest to it being true, but there isn't a lot of evidence to back it up. xD The reasoning behind it is that most airlines used to update their prices and ticket availabilities on Tuesday afternoons/evenings, but a lot of them don't do that any more now that most people buy their tickets online and the algorithms for ticket pricing have advanced like crazy. Just check the tickets once or twice a day and try to be as flexible as possible with dates and times.
              I can't say anything about the 3pm thing, but I almost always fly on Tuesdays because it is cheaper. With Kayak you can do the "flex dates" and almost every time Tuesdays are cheaper to fly on. Just my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                I can't say anything about the 3pm thing, but I almost always fly on Tuesdays because it is cheaper. With Kayak you can do the "flex dates" and almost every time Tuesdays are cheaper to fly on. Just my experience.
                Oh no, you're quite right, flights are almost always cheapest if you fly during the middle of the week-- what I was talking about was when to search for a flight to get the best price, since, as anyone who has ever tried to buy flights online can attest to, they can vary wildly just day to day. It's a piece of advice that I see frequently but is never verified.
                Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

My advice is.... be patient : (

I know it's no fun...
                  I'm currently not able to go see my bf because I lost my job a few months ago and my budget is very restricted.
                  My bf is trying his bets to save up to move here asap, but for now his boss doesn't allow him vacations and anyways he doesn't have the budget at the moment to visit me.

So...
                  I know how you feel.

But if you stay positive and keep both goin towards the same goal, you will make it : )

cheers
                  ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

Thank you all so much for your support! We managed to find a flight for about $186 and our saving up to split the costs!

Comment

Working...
                    X