Some bad news...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some bad news...

Back when I first started talking to my other half, I was in a faltering relationship with my old SO, James. I'd watched him spiral downward into depression, after a girl he met in Florida 5 years previously (they'd been in a relationship for awhile before he met me, although it ended when he had to come back to England and they'd stayed friends all through our relationship, though it didn't bother me) died in the summer of 2010 from cancer. She was extremely young, too young. He tried to suicide several times though fortunately each attempt failed, and I managed to drag him back to reality but we were never the same after. After a series of events that spanned a few months, he fell out with me and we didn't speak for a year. We parted on bad terms. A year later, he got back in touch with me and apologised for the way he spoke to me when we'd last spoken. We resumed a sort of friendship, we were much better as friends than anything else, although we didn't speak all that often. The occasional Facebook conversation, nothing huge. It was nice to know he was on the mend though. He was an aspiring musician, the lead guitarist and singer in a band that was due to go on the road within due time. He'd graduated from college and was doing well. He was engaged to his girlfriend, and was due to move to the states in 2013 to be with her.

Then I found out the other day he'd been killed in a road accident. He'd been on his bike in town when a bus knocked him down. Needless to say, I'm devastated. Despite what happened during the summer of 2010 and how things changed between us, although we weren't close as we once had been, I still miss him. I can only hope where he is now is a better place than here.

Originally posted by Honour View Post
    Back when I first started talking to my other half, I was in a faltering relationship with my old SO, James. I'd watched him spiral downward into depression, after a girl he met in Florida 5 years previously (they'd been in a relationship for awhile before he met me, although it ended when he had to come back to England and they'd stayed friends all through our relationship, though it didn't bother me) died in the summer of 2010 from cancer. She was extremely young, too young. He tried to suicide several times though fortunately each attempt failed, and I managed to drag him back to reality but we were never the same after. After a series of events that spanned a few months, he fell out with me and we didn't speak for a year. We parted on bad terms. A year later, he got back in touch with me and apologised for the way he spoke to me when we'd last spoken. We resumed a sort of friendship, we were much better as friends than anything else, although we didn't speak all that often. The occasional Facebook conversation, nothing huge. It was nice to know he was on the mend though. He was an aspiring musician, the lead guitarist and singer in a band that was due to go on the road within due time. He'd graduated from college and was doing well. He was engaged to his girlfriend, and was due to move to the states in 2013 to be with her.

Then I found out the other day he'd been killed in a road accident. He'd been on his bike in town when a bus knocked him down. Needless to say, I'm devastated. Despite what happened during the summer of 2010 and how things changed between us, although we weren't close as we once had been, I still miss him. I can only hope where he is now is a better place than here.
    I am not trying to sound greedy like I am member of the press.(my parents' graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in the early-1960's and both have been in journalism since then) Was he on a motorcycle motor scooter, moped, or a bicycle?

If he was on a bicycle, this is the sort of accident, that angers me, since I am an avid cyclist and follow the traffic code stringently. I ride in 40mph(64kph) traffic and am always watching for ignorant drivers.

I had a 'disagreement', with a county bus driver last week. State law allows a cyclist to ride on the road, and where the incident happened, that particular city sided with the state about cyclists' not being allowed to ride on the sidewalk. The county bus driver was sitting on his horn, trying to get me out of his way, but I refused. I was going 20mph in 30mph zone. So there was no reason for the driver to lay on the horn like that.

So, Even though I ranted about my experience as an avid cyclist, my heart goes out to you, and his family. I am always trying to make the motorized public more aware that cyclists' have a right to be on the road.

First Visit: September 2016
    Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
    Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
    John 4:12
    I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

Hugs, so sorry for your loss.
      As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Originally posted by Chris516 View Post
        I am not trying to sound greedy like I am member of the press.(my parents' graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in the early-1960's and both have been in journalism since then) Was he on a motorcycle motor scooter, moped, or a bicycle?

If he was on a bicycle, this is the sort of accident, that angers me, since I am an avid cyclist and follow the traffic code stringently. I ride in 40mph(64kph) traffic and am always watching for ignorant drivers.

I had a 'disagreement', with a county bus driver last week. State law allows a cyclist to ride on the road, and where the incident happened, that particular city sided with the state about cyclists' not being allowed to ride on the sidewalk. The county bus driver was sitting on his horn, trying to get me out of his way, but I refused. I was going 20mph in 30mph zone. So there was no reason for the driver to lay on the horn like that.

So, Even though I ranted about my experience as an avid cyclist, my heart goes out to you, and his family. I am always trying to make the motorized public more aware that cyclists' have a right to be on the road.
        He was a keen cyclist, he was always so careful, but I guess sometimes even the most careful can't foresee accidents coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Honour View Post
          He was a keen cyclist, he was always so careful, but I guess sometimes even the most careful can't foresee accidents coming.
          I will admit, I have done some pretty bonehead things as a cyclist. So I am not above reproach.

I am always on the lookout, for the traffic behind me, the cross traffic, and the traffic coming the opposite direction. The worst thing I can think of, apart from actually being in an accident, is when I was coming down a small hill, on a four-lane divided road. I didn't apply my brakes soon enough and skidded into cross traffic, nearly getting hit from the left side.

My biggest concern about other cyclists', is their lack of knowledge of the state, county, and municipal traffic codes and ordinances.

For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
          I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out what's the point of these posts Chris. Does it matter if he was on a bicycle or a moped? A young man lost his life.

I'm really sorry for your loss Honour. Such a terrible way to go, with his whole life ahead of him.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Malaga View Post
                I'm trying to figure out what's the point of these posts Chris. Does it matter if he was on a bicycle or a moped? A young man lost his life.

I'm really sorry for your loss Honour. Such a terrible way to go, with his whole life ahead of him.
                The point is, while I could have addressed it privately, in a reverse sense, personal. While I am a cyclist, I have had (potentially lethal)congenital health problems all my life. I have been hit by cars a couple times, yet came away from the accidents', with nothing more than a hairline fracture in my wrist. So, As a cyclist, I feel a sense of guilt when someone in far better health than me, dies, as a result of being hit.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss, Honour.
                  I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                  X