When does it get easier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When does it get easier?

This is all so new to me. We met the old fashioned way through friends and work. We were fortunate enough to spend the first four months of our relationship together. He is a contractor and travels for work. He only left 6 days ago and I talk to him everyday but it's so hard not being with him. I get to see him in 12 days when I fly to Charlotte NC to spend 5 days with him. This is harder than I could have ever imagined it would be. Any advice on the days when you have nothing to do and you cant stop thinking about him/her would be greatly appreciated.
    Nicci

You just have to keep busy, there isn't much else unfortunately. While I won't tell you it gets easier, because that's not true, I can tell you that you get used to it as time goes on. You get into a groove, you know how to fill your time, you establish communication schedules, you live your life. LDR's don't have to be awful, though they always have their moments, the most important part is to just continue to do things normally. Don't live for that phone call or Skype, do what you did before your relationship; go out with friends, see family, take a class, whatever it takes to step away from the computer Good luck.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Moon. I think I just needed that encouragement. I have been fine until today when I have a rare day with no work, no kids, no housework and it's to cold to go outside. I am so thankful for a site like this....

Comment

What works for me when I have a tough time is a a good balance of doing things with friends, etc. Things that have nothing to do with him, and also sometimes filling my time doing something for him... Like working on a care package, or a letter, or planning a surprise for the next time we see each other... I find the combination works great for me. The going out helps me maintain my individuality and a balanced normal life, but doing things for him makes me feel closer to him and our lives are more intertwined together somehow!
        First met online: June, 2010
        First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
        Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Third visit together: August, 2012
        Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
        Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
        Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Keep busy, that's really the only tip. Nothing ever gets easier you just get used to it. ):

Notes:
          Met: 8.17.09
          Started Dating: 8.20.09
          First Met: 10.2.10
          Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

It really doesn't get easier... Distraction is key like everybody else already mentioned. In this LDR, my SO and I are still new to it, but I had one before so I got some practice in this game. Just look up the main site as well for some activities and tips. It helped me a lot and maybe you come up with something new that you can share with us? And don't forget, we are here for you as well

Comment

If anything, it keeps getting harder. Keep yourself busy, as many others have said.
              Made it official: 12-01-10
              First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
              Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Everybody else has nailed your question.

You just get experienced in how to manage yourself. You will always miss your partner. But you will also develop good mechanisms to deal with it.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Sometimes its just nice know your not alone. I talked to him last night about it and he feels the same way. Its nice to have this support system as well

Comment

i know when i am having a hard time when i am home alone...i do housework...lol...or try to find friends that want to do something...just gotta find ways to keep yourself busy...and your mind off things...

Comment

Working...
                    X