Okay - right or wrong to do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay - right or wrong to do this?

As of now, I'm still looking for a job (no such luck at the moment) to earn money for college (and a long distance trip that probably costs over $1,500, not going to lie). However, I thought about the idea of doing a fundraiser where I can bake cupcakes and just sell them for spring semester tuition. Now here's the thing: would it be wrong if I also put in that I'm doing a fundraiser not just for college, but for a little bit of money for an international trip as well? I'm trying to get all of this set before at least the month of May next year, and since I do not know how long it takes to earn at least $1000 on minimum wage and how I'm unemployed as of now...it just feels like I'm running out of time.

I need some advice on this and see whether I'm about to do something good or foolish. Thanks.

As a business adventure- it would be fine as people are aware they're buying a product and its then not their money. But as a fundraiser I'd say no- I'm not American though so even the idea of a fundraiser for people to donate money towards you going to college sounds a bit odd to me!

Comment

I don't know, I don't really see a problem, if they're already cool with giving money for your personal cause. It's not like you're going to spend it on a boob job or a diamond necklace, that would be reckless I think. But if you're raising money for college and to visit your long term boyfriend, in my opinion that should be OK.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by redapple View Post
        As a business adventure- it would be fine as people are aware they're buying a product and its then not their money. But as a fundraiser I'd say no- I'm not American though so even the idea of a fundraiser for people to donate money towards you going to college sounds a bit odd to me!
        I agree with redapple on this. If you are fundraising specifically for college, then that's what you should use it for.

Comment

I think if you're selling something thats fine. If you want to host a "fundraiser", thats fine too as long as you make sure whoever donates knows exactly what they are donating to/for. (your trip to see your bf, college tuition, etc). Don't be surprised if they find out what its actually for an not donate though. Never lie to people about a "fundraiser", that can lead to trouble.

Comment

I would just say you're selling cupcakes. If you want to list what the proceeds will go to, cool. If not, then that's fine too. I just maybe wouldn't word it as a fundraiser because that would be off-putting. But if you're just doing your own business venture, no harm in that!

Met online: 1/30/11
            Met in person: 5/30/12
            Second visit: 9/12/12
            Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

If you're going to be essentially hosting a bake sale... make sure you take into consideration how much you'll be spending on ingredients, and factor that into your cost, otherwise you won't actually be getting any profit. Not to be a killjoy, just trying to be realistic, unless you're a master celebrity chef, people will probably pay no more than about $2/cupcake. So how much would you actually be earning? Dunno. Might work, might not.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
              Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
              Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Selling cakes is a good idea - as long as you don't call it a 'fundraiser'. I think that gives the wrong impression - as if its for charity. If you do advertise as a fundraiser, people are likely to ask you what you're raising money for, and be taken aback when they realise it's for you, even if it's for college tuition. Be prepared for people to want to spend less on cakes that are for personal profit than for cakes that help a liscenced cause.

Comment

I agree with all of the advice above. it should be fine as long as you state exactly what you will be using it for. You have to be careful though because the "donations" (you are neither a charity nor a non profit organization, you technically cannot take donations) you receive are gifts. Also if you do a bake sale that is considered revenue. So, gifts and sales revenue are taxable. Don't forget about that. If you are successful and make a certain amount of money for college, you can't just ignore the fact that you were standing in your front yard selling cookies.

Comment

A bake sale is fine, but I suggest you don't call it a fundraiser XP. Just say what it is, you're an unemployed college student who needs some extra money to get by. Are you a decent baker and are you going to be making these cupcakes from scratch? If not, then I suggest you try something else. You'll be surprised how people can tell that something is not made by scratch. I don't say this to be an ass, but because I'm going into the restaurant business, and pleasing people is a bitch @_@. Then again, it's hard to go wrong with cupcakes :'D!

Comment

Don't call it a fundraiser, just a bake sale.
                      Made it official: 12-01-10
                      First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
                      Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Working...
                      X