Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jobs with later hours? Starting after midday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobs with later hours? Starting after midday?

Hey guys, another jobs thread I know, but this ones a bit more specific.

So im freakin out about getting work and how it'll effect our LDR (I know most of you guys do it just fine, but id really like to be adaptable on this if possible). Basically, a 9-5 job would mean we have to compensate a few of the things we do together each day, and I dont wanna just do things at the weekend and have a watered down version of events during the week.

Therefore, a job that starts at midday would be a lot more ideal. If I could work when she's at college it'd be even better, but she sometimes has 2am finishes so that's not much doable . So yeah, anyone got any idea about anything that typically starts a bit later, preferably midday onwards? Or even something I could do from home.

I know some LDR's just talk at the weekends and stuff, so I probably seem a bit moany or something here. It's just I know my SO, im one of the few people she opens up to, and I really wanna be there as much as I can for her. Work is just one of those things etc, but I dont value it over my SO.

I figure there's not going to be too much opportunity for what im specifying here, but if anyone else has managed to be very adaptable with their work id love to hear about it

I think the most flexible hours are probably in food service, especially fast food places.. because they are often open late. I know this because I'm working at one.. and have been for the past few years (since before I was in my relationship)... it's not the greatest place to work but it's decent enough.. I'm used to it. Though I think some larger retail stores would have flexible hours too so you could try them too.. I just came back from my time with my boyfriend about a week and a half ago and gave in a new availability to my work, where I don't start earlier than 12pm and don't work later than 10pm.. this way too I will almost always get to talk to my boyfriend before work (and before he sleeps) and then I can always talk to him right when he gets up (before I sleep).. and then on my days off all we have to worry about is his course and that we both get enough sleep.. it's good I've done it this way now because he just started his university course and so has to have stable sleeping patterns.. before he would often follow my schedule and I'd get booked on weird shifts.. I think the biggest thing is having a job with stable hours because then times to talk can be planned out better and worked out. I like the way my schedule will be now because 12pm to 10pm is 8pm to 6am his time so he'll always be sleeping for the majority of my shift at work anyways (he has early 9am classes!). And he has to study too so it works out. It kind of sucks because the talking is less than we've been used to in the past.. but it's for a good reason, because this course he's doing will help him be able to get a job sooner and then we can save up for our future sooner.

Good luck with the job search and finding one that fits well with your LDR!

Comment

Originally posted by squeeker View Post
      I think the most flexible hours are probably in food service, especially fast food places.. because they are often open late. I know this because I'm working at one.. and have been for the past few years (since before I was in my relationship)... it's not the greatest place to work but it's decent enough.. I'm used to it. Though I think some larger retail stores would have flexible hours too so you could try them too.. I just came back from my time with my boyfriend about a week and a half ago and gave in a new availability to my work, where I don't start earlier than 12pm and don't work later than 10pm.. this way too I will almost always get to talk to my boyfriend before work (and before he sleeps) and then I can always talk to him right when he gets up (before I sleep).. and then on my days off all we have to worry about is his course and that we both get enough sleep.. it's good I've done it this way now because he just started his university course and so has to have stable sleeping patterns.. before he would often follow my schedule and I'd get booked on weird shifts.. I think the biggest thing is having a job with stable hours because then times to talk can be planned out better and worked out. I like the way my schedule will be now because 12pm to 10pm is 8pm to 6am his time so he'll always be sleeping for the majority of my shift at work anyways (he has early 9am classes!). And he has to study too so it works out. It kind of sucks because the talking is less than we've been used to in the past.. but it's for a good reason, because this course he's doing will help him be able to get a job sooner and then we can save up for our future sooner.

Good luck with the job search and finding one that fits well with your LDR!
      Yeah it's practically the same situation here, she can't be adaptable with times due to being at college, whereas I can be at the moment and while she'll be this busy for a at least a year (likely a few years on top of that too), i've got the opportunity to try and be the adaptable party here. I guess jobs in that or being a waiter are the ones that'll be most flexible. I'd like to make use of my degree, though it's not exactly been a huge help so far , but tbh id be happy with hours like that as spending time with her makes me happier than any job could.

If I could be even more picky, id rather something right in my town with no real commute , maybe I should start up an online business and see how that goes haha. Thanks for your help, good to see it work for somebody in practice (:

Comment

We both had "9-5" jobs and still were able to communicate hours each day. I have a desk job of sorts and am able to get on MSN. He called me when I was at lunch. Then we chatted some more when I got home from work. While that may not work for everyone - it really helped us out and now we closed the distance and are married. Perseverance...

Met: November 19, 2010
        Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
        Made it official: April 29, 2011
        Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
        Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
        Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
        K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
        Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
        Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

We have a nine hour time difference and we manage ok despite both of us working full time 9-5 (or longer). Ok long conversations during the week are sometimes difficult but we still get to talk every day with the odd exception. If there is something important, I know he'll make time and vise versa. We have two talk times s day, early in the morning and at night (for me) and we usually manage to talk at least once a day, often twice so it's doable!
          I can understand your feelings but think about your future together. Having a job is important and a good job might get you closer together in the end and improve your career chances later on.

Comment

best bet is food service, walmarts, super targets or those 24 hour drugstores like CVS or Walgreens.

Notes:
            Met: 8.17.09
            Started Dating: 8.20.09
            First Met: 10.2.10
            Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I work in a (opera/ ballet) theatre, theatres always have later shift start times.

What kind of work do you do? I'm a social media manager/ web & graphic designer so my hours are very flexible & all my work is project based. Any sort of project based work is ideal as then we can plan most Skype dates around my SO's schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by flugelhorn View Post
                I work in a (opera/ ballet) theatre, theatres always have later shift start times.

What kind of work do you do? I'm a social media manager/ web & graphic designer so my hours are very flexible & all my work is project based. Any sort of project based work is ideal as then we can plan most Skype dates around my SO's schedule.
                Well my background is mostly maths based, and then I decided to take a Degree in history, who's 'transferable skills' have really helped out... should've done maths lol. I was on the Uni newspaper for the 3 years I was at Uni, so other than that and part-time crap before Uni, I dont have much to sell myself on lol. I could go into journalism, but over here, you're interning for a while, so id be going a year or two with no pay. Would mean id likely have to get a part-time job and that amount of work would really not be a good thing for us. It's ideally a case of me getting something reasonable thats not too demanding timewise, so that I can save up and then hopefully in a few years we'll be able to close the distance.

Comment

I work second shift. I would say it's really hard to find a job with ideal hours. My SO and I have to talk before I go to work most days and I'd prefer to talk when I get off. Since he's working a 9-5 job now, I get to talk to him after I get off and before he goes into work (on days he works). Things work out. I'm sure no matter what job you get you can work out some time that you can talk (even if it's rushed or just a little bit).
                  Since you have a history degree, maybe you could do a tours that are late. I don't know where in England you live but there are a lot of tourists who love to come to England.

Comment

Simple answer. Look at the wanted ads. There are a ton of good paying entry lvl positions that start around the clock in transportation factory and warehouse. Even better some of them have down time where you can talk or text your SO. I work for a union trucking outfit make good money and text or talk to my SO until she's ready to sleep. One negative to working nights is you sacrifice your sleep if you want to talk during any brakes in her day but if your girl is like mine it's worth it.
                    I Love My Beautiful Sonya!!!

Comment

I know its not the same but when you have free time you guys could send video messages back and forth. That way you can still have the personal feel and its much better than not talking at all during the weekdays
                      " There is always hope.
                      "

Comment

Working...
                      X