New to long distance relationship feelings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to long distance relationship feelings

Two months ago I met a great guy on a cruise. We connected really well and have not stopped talking since then. He lives 6 hours away from me in Canada, I live in the States. Since the cruise we have seen each other 4 times on our weekends. We decided to be in a relationship with one another two weeks ago. I would love for things to work for us because I've really taken a liking to him. However, the distance scares me. I commute to university and still live at home.

My parents are very overprotective of me and have a problem with me driving to see him. He's only been to see me. He parents don't have a problem with the relationship what so ever, except they wish that now 4 times him to me that I could go to him. I would really like to and don't have a problem with it but I am unable to at this time. My parents say eventually they'll let me but it's very frustrating. My parents like him and have stated that they wish we lived closer. Unfortunately, they have stated to me that they think I am ridiculous for perusing someone from Canada because in the long run it would never be able to work out and that I am just putting myself into an unnecessary stressful position.

I don't know how to handle my parents being semi-unsupportive causing me to think twice about this decision. Both me and my boyfriend feel like We're doing the right thing and that me we can make it work. He's even stated that he would do anything to make it work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with my overprotective parents. I would like them to allow me to go to Canada to see him. I would also like to prove to them or at least allow them to sort that a long distance relationship is not weird, wrong and can actually work. Since never being in one before I don't really know how to go about doing either of those things.

You will always have people who doubt it. You have to learn to ignore it and remember its YOUR relationship not theirs.

Maybe you can invite your parents to join you, make it a family trip. Also if you are over 18 they really dont have much of a say. Yes you should respect their opinion but that does not mean you have to agree with them or do everything they tell you too.

I highly suggest making a family trip that might make them feel better about it.
    " There is always hope.
    "

Comment

Parents will always be parents. They care about us. I mean, I'm 28 years old and my parents still worry about me.

The key here is communication with them. Assure them that what you are doing feels right.
      Granted they won't understand it because let's face it, they didn't grow up with technology being so advanced nowadays -at least my parents.

Now it's easier to communicate with others via Skype, text messaging, etc.

Eventually they will understand your position if they see you happy with your SO.
      Good luck!

Comment

It's pretty normal for them to be scared. You'd be 6 hours away in another country! But I don't think that's their biggest fear. Seeing as you say they're overprotective, letting you leave would mean coming to terms with the fact that you are growing up and that they can't always be there to protect you.

You also seem unsure about dating him, even though you've agreed to try. In my opinion, it's really important to have your heart completely in it or you'll have a hard time making it work! It does take some extra effort to maintain but it that only makes the both people feel even closer! For a lot of people, the honeymoon phase of their relationship can last for very long periods of time, compared to a normal relationship.

Your parents might not be supportive, but never forget why! They just don't want to lose their baby! Just remember that it's your life, not theirs!

Comment

Working...
        X