CD to LD to CD to LD to CD...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD to LD to CD to LD to CD...

Just wondered if anyone else had this pattern of relationship with their SO?

We started off CD, then I moved to uni, we were LD for 6 months, then he moved to my city so were CD again until summer when he had to stay for his course, and I had to move back home. Then we were CD again for a year, until I went to the USA for a work placement. Now we're CD again...

The heart breaking thing is, he graduates about 3 months earlier than me, and although we're looking at getting jobs in a similar place, it's not guaranteed, due to the different career paths we want to take. So we may be LD again! That would suck, because as we'd both be in full time graduate employment (which lasts at least 3 years here) there's no chance of moving to be together again... unfortunately, we're just at 'that' stage of our lives...

Anyway, like I said, anyone else seem to have this pattern to their relationship?
    Si tu n'etais pas la
    Comment pourrais-je vivre
    Je ne connaitrais pas
    Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
    Quand je suis dans tes bras
    Mon coeur joyeux se livre
    Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
    Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

I've had something similar. I think I might be in an early stage of your story.

We started off LD (well, 1 hour apart -- we saw each other every weekend). He was a PhD Student, I was an undergrad. After six months, we moved together to New Mexico and lived together there while he did a summer internship. I had to move back to Alabama earlier than him to start grad school, so we were LD (very long -- 1200 miles) for about a month. That wasn't so bad.

When he got back, we lived together for a year. I was going to grad school an hour away, though, for an accelerated master's program -- 5 classes at a time. And I had a "part time" job that I worked about 35 hours a week. So... we were busy. But we both came home to the same place every night. It was nice. About six months into that, I found out I was accepted (and offered a lot of money) to get my PhD in Atlanta -- about three hours (and a one hour time difference) away. So for a half of that year, we knew it was temporary.

We spent last summer in New Mexico together, then I moved here... Now we're LD again, and have NO idea how long it will be. I'm a PhD student in my first year, he's in his third year. He could finish in two years, or stop with his masters in the spring. But we might not get jobs in the same place. He could EASILY get a job in New Mexico where he goes every summer. Then, we'd be 1500 miles apart. Honestly, if we both have PhDs, it could be like this for the rest of our lives. We'll go where we can pursue our research, which is unlikely to be the same place all the time.

So I know exactly what it's like to just be in "that" stage of life.
    I just keep hoping that he'll decide to quit with his master's. Then this LD would only be for a year, and likely our last.
    Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
    Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
    Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
    LD again: July 24, 2012
    Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
    Married: November 1, 2014
    Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

We were a LD then a CD then now an LD again and hopefully if he gets a job in Tempe Arizona I'll move out to be with him so hoping to be a CD Super soon!!! Help pray he gets that job!!!!!!!

Comment

Yup, that's us! We were CD for 2 weeks, then LD for 9 months, CD for 3.5 months, LD for 7 months, CD for 6 months, and now LD again lol. It's going to be this way until he graduates. I graduate this May, but I am starting graduate school in July locally for 24 months. He won't be graduating until May 2015. Not sure if he'll be home for summer this year since he has to do his co-op.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Although I wouldnt change anything about our relationship, and I'm so excited about the next stage of my life, sometimes I wish it was as simple as being LD then moving to CD and staying put...
          Si tu n'etais pas la
          Je ne connaitrais pas
          Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
          Quand je suis dans tes bras
          Mon coeur joyeux se livre
          Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
          Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Comment

Definitely us. We were CD for 5 months, LD for 2.5, CD for 4, and we've been LD for just over 10 months now. We'll be beginning to plan our wedding at a distance... but hopefully we'll be closing (or at least drastically reducing!) the distance in the next two months. It's hard going long distance the first time.... but honestly I think going LD the 2nd time was even harder for us, because we knew that we didn't have a set "end date" for the LD part.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
            Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
            Progress: Working on it.

Comment

We were CD for four 3 months when we first met, then LD for 2 years, then we lived together for 7 months and now we're long distance again (with exchanged locations, to make things more interesting) for four months and in Feburary/March we hope to close the distance permanently.

Originally posted by Hololz View Post
              Although I wouldnt change anything about our relationship, and I'm so excited about the next stage of my life, sometimes I wish it was as simple as being LD then moving to CD and staying put...
              I agree with that so so much. We're international and both at university. It's so much more complicated than just packing our stuff and moving. We want to finish our education to be able to actually stay together in one place. Without one of us having to move back to their country because we can't find a job or is unhappy.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

This is me and Dan too. We were CD from the start of our relationship in Aug 2008 until Jan 2009-Aug 2009 when I studied abroad and we were at our parents for the summer. We were in school from Aug 2009-May 2010 and then LD that summer and back to CD for the following school year. We both graduated in May 2011 and then I moved to New York for school in August 2011. I will come back home to Maryland in May 2013, but we're not sure when we'll close the distance once and for all.

Comment

CD for 3 months, LD for freshman year of college (he came back home for a month in December) and then I went to his school our sophomore year. We were CD for sophomore year, and he had to transfer for his junior year so now we're LD again. xD It went CD LD CD LD for us. lol

Comment

We were CD for 5 months, then LD for 3 weeks until I went home for the summer and he stayed with me, then LD for three months without a visit, then LD with semi-regular visits. Now we're LD during the school year so about every forty days or so we get a visit because of breaks when I go home and in summer we're CD for thirty day stretches and then LD for a week to ten days (I work summer orientation at school and go back and forth 8 hours to do it).

It's going to work on the school year forty day cycle for this year and next year until I graduate undergrad. Grad school is up in the air, but it's looking likely that I will continue grad school at the same University I'm at now, so it's going to be the forty day cycle again for about two years. (Unless I do a study abroad for six months in Asia after graduation. That'll kink things up.)

This summer will most likely be the primarily CD with "bouts" of LD while I work Orientations again.

It's crazy. I know. But SOOO much better now that I don't have to split time between my family and him. We used to have a nice triangle between MA(my home), MD(his home), and NY(my (formerly our) school). He lives near my family now, so much easier, he just has to visit his family in MD and LA now. (CRAZY I know.)
                    ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
                    The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

yep; old hand at it. Me and my SO been living together for a year before i got my first graduate job in waste management so i had to move up north, whereas he stayed in our flat in plym to DJ. 7 months later my contract ended and i went back. I got a local job until last month, i got accepted for a 12 mth post in northampton. again my SO is keeping the flat snug for when i visit and return (unless i get offered another UK waste job!). Worrying thing is my BF is possibly up for management level promo; which would tie him to plymouth indefinetly... my career is just starting- so i have to follow the work... :/

Comment

Working...
                      X