Dealing with silence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with silence

My SO is currently working at hunting camps in Colorado, which means he has no phone service at all unless he goes up one particular hill, which isn't often. This means no calls, texts, Skype, Whatsapp, nothing. He's not working at a fixed address, so I can't even write him a letter.

He's working at camp until the end of November, which isn't all that long on the face of it. I'm determined to keep busy: I'm at university and my course is pretty intensive, and I just got a part in a show which will mean rehearsals will keep me occupied for a lot of the time. I've set myself a challenge to get back into running and back into my skinny jeans before he gets here in December for Christmas, so I have plenty of goals to focus on.

The problem is really my own insecurities. I worry that if I don't spend loads of time thinking about him, that I'll fall out of love. I'm worried that if I think about him too much, I'll talk myself out of the relationship. He always says that I overthink everything (and I do), and to his credit, when he does end up climbing that particular hill, he always sends me a message to let me know that he's ok and to say he loves me. Obviously I miss him, and I'm sure he misses me too, but saying it isn't going to make it any easier for either of us, so I'm trying to stay upbeat when we get a few minutes to exchange some messages.

I don't want to spend hours moping about, but I also don't want to forget all the good stuff about our relationship, and about him. How do I keep this balance? Is there anything else I could try to keep the focus on the positives in the situation?

This LDR thing is pretty hard... Any advice gratefully received.
    London girl, American cowboy. "Like a western Dirty Dancing."

The best advice I can give you is keep busy. Don't just sit around waiting for a message or call from him. I've been going through similar stuff and I've come to realize that when you sit around and wait, your brain messes with you a lot. You tend to over think and worry about everything. You wont fall out of love with him, in fact you might appreciate your moments together even more. I did.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
    Married April 18th, 2015!!
    Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Don't worry about falling out of love! I used to worry about that... I had fallen out of love many times before.... I had even fallen out of love with my ex-husband before I married him (stupid of me to marry him... but no regrets...) But I realize now with the right person, you won't fall out of love... I'm not saying things won't get hard, that some days you may FEEL less in love... but the feeling comes back, working on the relationships feels good, etc.

I am a crazy over-thinker myself... I had a panic with my SO just about a week ago. I told him I didn't want to break up but I was worried we had no future... and outlined to him all the things I worried about,,, he said he knew I was an over-thinker but this was extreme even for me! LOL Anyways, all this to say that no matter how much I over-think... i am secure in the fact that I love him!

If you two are right for each other, this situation will ot make you fall out of love!

You seem to have plans to keep busy and that's excellent! When I miss my SO, I like to do things for him.... Maybe write him some poetry, make him a scrapbook, make him a bracelet, knit him a scarf... all these little things help me to continue to feel connected to him...
      First met online: June, 2010
      First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
      Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
      Third visit together: August, 2012
      Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
      Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
      Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
      Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Working...
      X