Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing some support and Hi, i'm new!

Hi everyone,

I've lurked around these boards for a long time but I finally decided I should make a post and start trying to participate in some discussions.
    I am in a LDR with my dear boyfriend (A) who lives in Finland. I live in Australia.
    We met while I was in Finland as an exchange student, I lived with his family for the first three months and fell head over heels pretty fast
    When I moved families, I told myself I could finally tell him I had a crush on him but it took 5 months and a push from my 3rd Host mum to finally tell him that I liked him! Scariest night of my life! All was well and good in the end though because he liked me too! He told me he loved me just a week later and we were together for 7 weeks before I had to return home. Wow. That SUCKED. My first few months were horrible, not only was I missing him, I missed all my family and my adopted country and just my awesome exchange life.
    Moving on though, I started my senior year and A booked his tickets to see me in his summer. It worked out perfectly, I met him in Sydney and we travvelled for two weeks in my winter break before coming back home. He stayed at my house with my family for 2 months and then had to leave. That goodbye was so much harder because we both knew it would be much longer before we saw each other again. 11 months...

Now he is hoping that he is accepted to do a University Exchange to Melbourne in August 2013 and I am hoping I do well enough in my tests that I get into uni in Melbourne and we will have a whole 7-8 months together, the longest CD period for us ever.

We hope to live in Australia together eventually, he is studying to be a teacher so its good we need teachers! I wish we could live in Finland honestly but my job options are very limited. We both really love each other and plan on getting married as soon as we are settled. We love watching Doctor Who together, talking about Batman and going geocaching.

He left over a month ago now and the going is getting tough. Im in a tough spot with my school and its making stressed which isn't making me a very fun person to skype and I just feel bad that i'm being so crappy.
    I am having a bit of trouble with coming to terms with how unknown and undecided my near future is. It's so stressing to not even know where you will live and study next year!

But yes, this is my much too long introduction! I am a member of an exchange forum which I absolutely love and have made great friends on so I my experiences here will be similar! Everyone seems very nice!
    Last edited by Jules11; October 21, 2012, 08:53 AM.

hmm maybe this is better in stories? Sorry guys, newbie!
    If a mod wants to move it, I dont know how...

Comment

Originally posted by Jules11 View Post
      hmm maybe this is better in stories? Sorry guys, newbie!
      If a mod wants to move it, I dont know how...
      Haha no hard feelings! It works in introductions, too. Welcome to LFAD and glad you're no longer a lurker! I loved your story and wish you both the best of luck! Hope you can close the distance sooner rather than later. In the mean time, I hope the LFAD community an be a great support system.

Comment

Hei! I'm in a similar situation as yourself, I'm dating an Estonian girl (who lives in Tallinn)

I also moved to Melbourne to study at university (I'm originally from NSW as well) so I can help you out in that regard as well. What university was your SO planning on going to for exchange?

Feel free to talk to me if you want to chat. I've been to Helsinki a couple of times (and I always fly through Helsinki-Vantaa Airport) so I know how great it is there! All you can do is focus on your school and get into a uni in Melbourne.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
          Hei! I'm in a similar situation as yourself, I'm dating an Estonian girl (who lives in Tallinn)

I also moved to Melbourne to study at university (I'm originally from NSW as well) so I can help you out in that regard as well. What university was your SO planning on going to for exchange?

Feel free to talk to me if you want to chat. I've been to Helsinki a couple of times (and I always fly through Helsinki-Vantaa Airport) so I know how great it is there! All you can do is focus on your school and get into a uni in Melbourne.

Good luck!
          He has applied for RMIT. It was the only partner uni with his that could give him all the chemistry courses he needed. I'm hoping to get into Monash.
          I'm from Adelaide though

How did you go about finding accommodation in Melbourne? Thanks for the support! I visited Tallinn for a few hours when I went on a cruise from Helsinki. It was strange seeing all the "funny finnish" () and I really liked the broken line sculpture.

Comment

My bad! I read that you met him in Sydney and assumed you lived there . It might be difficult to manage RMIT and Monash, as Monash is about 35 mins out of the city, whereas RMIT is in CBD. Monash is great though and the main campus is massive. What were you planning on studying at Monash?

I lived wth family for my first semester, then moved into a private sharehouse after that. There are tons of houses that you can move into around the Clayton and Caulfield campuses.You can search on Gumtree if you want to do it in advance. There are a few sharehouses with predominantly students in them. You can live on campus, but it's expensive and your SO can't stay with you when he comes over. If you have any specific questions, like average prices etc let me know!

I consider Estonian to be 'simpler Finnish' . You can really spot the difference (and histories) of both cities. Good luck with it all!

Comment

Working...
            X