some advice for when my BF meet my parents for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some advice for when my BF meet my parents for the first time

My BF and i have been together for almost 10 months and my parents want to meet him and he wants to meet them too. However, my BF is a little nervous.......ok a lot nervous. How can i get him to feel more comfortable and less nervous?

Have they talked on Skype before? It might be worthwhile to get him to Skype with your parents before actually meeting them, so that he at least gets an idea of their personalities. Just a brief "hi, how are you" can make a big difference! You know your parents best, so you could also think of some questions that you think they might ask and let him know in advance so that he is prepared for the kind of information he might be asked for. Otherwise, just assure him that they will like him (if you are sure they will like him, lol) and that all he needs to do is be himself. He won't stop being nervous until it's done and over with, but all these things will at least prepare him.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Tell him stories about your parents and give him some background information about them. This should give him something to talk about. Ask him if there is anything that he would like to know about your parents. If you know any quirks that your parents may have, let him know in advance. For example, I happen to know that my grandpa likes to ask 20 million questions when he meets someone new, so I gave my fiance fair warning. I also let him know that they feel pretty strongly about politics, are religious people, etc. Of course, you want him to be himself, but knowing these things may help. Also, I agree with kittyo9, assure and reassure him that your parents will like him.

Good luck to your BF! I hope everything goes smoothly. Will you be there with him when he meets them?

Comment

Thanks for your ideas.
        kittyo9, skype would be a good idea and i had thought of that, but he doesn't have internet and his phone can't handle the app.
        stephanieaz, i will be with him when they meet him.

Comment

No need to be nervous! If you're awesome, then your family is awesome too. (:
          Love knows not distance, time, or logic.

Evan & Megan <3

Comment

Tell him just to relax and be himself! I agree with telling him a bit of background on them, and even try to find something they find in common!

Comment

i would say just have him relax..stay close to him...just tell him to be himself...be polite and all that...things will go just fine...

Comment

Working...
              X