Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're never fully dressed without a smile: first impression outfit advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're never fully dressed without a smile: first impression outfit advice needed!

Hello everyone! I hope you are having a super Monday.

I realize I have some threads to reply to and I will. Last night, it finally kicked in that I am really going to see him in four days and I couldn't sleep until 4am trying to think of all the things I need to do and pack, etc. Panic mode!!!

I had a bit of a shop and got a few nice/ functional things and also realized that there are a bunch of things he hasn't really seen much of, so I am feeling better about pulling some great outfits together. I do need to convince my Mom to help with a few alterations...which may be a bit like pulling teeth right now, but anyway.

Now, the reason I am making a thread is because I was hoping I could have some outfit suggestions for first impression events (which make me nervous in CDRs, never mind LDRs). That way, I have something in mind for certain events and can pack accordingly/ feel less stressed. (Shoe ideas would be good, too--they will really weigh down my suitcase and I really want to think of which types would be best.).

1) Suggestions for what to wear when meeting the parents and siblings for the first time. (I think that we will be going over for dinner and then playing a funny game like Cranium to break the ice. It will likely be hot out, too. I was thinking some form of dress would be right, but what sort? Also, I think the game could get pretty active, which might make a dress kind of cumbersome).
    2) Dinner/ bar with his friends. (Something really flattering and fun/flirty for him to enjoy me in and for me to feel evening glam in, but not so smoking that I might look unsophisticated/ make his friends wonder if I'm not a long-term person)
    3) Something daytime with his friends. (Similar as above, but more suitable to the day. Not really sure when and where I will be meeting everyone. A cute sun dress would be good, but I might be a little prissy if we go hiking! >.<; Anyway, of course I will be sensible as to the activity).

Hmmm... much of this will depend on a person's personal style, so I'll just answer according to what I would wear. Hope it is helpful!

1. For meeting the parents/siblings... you do want to look your best, but you also want to be comfortable. Especially since you'll be at the house, probably lounging around after dinner. I tend to wear a lot of dresses, so I might choose to wear a casual dress that isn't too revealing-- I have a couple of dresses that are cotton like many sundresses but have sleeves and are a bit longer. It's late now, but I'll try to come back and post some examples of dresses like I'm thinking of. I also think a cute pair of capris with a dressy shirt would also be a good choice.

2. For dinner/bar... I'd probably wear a nice pair of jeans and a sexy top or a dress- depending on how fancy the places you're going are- so that I'm covered in most places but revealing in others. Wearing heels also helps with the glam feel and something as simple as a good shade of red lipstick or the right necklace can also dress up an otherwise more simple outfit.

3. Daytime with friends- depends on the activity- A sundress would be perfect for less active things- For hiking, I'd wear your most flattering casual shorts/pants and a great t-shirt or tank top.

If I wanted to dress up in something really sexy, I'd probably save it for a solo-date night with the guy.

I think the most important thing is that you bring clothes that you feel good in- if you feel comfortable in them, you'll come across as looking great in any situation!

Comment

1. Modesty. When meeting relatives for the first time I think being a bit more conservative is a very good thing. No cleavage hanging, no short skirts (to the knee only), etc. I don't know what you normally wear and what your age is so you might have to adjust this to your tastes. Nice pants and a cute top (perhaps button down) would be good if you're going to be active. If you're going to be playing games I would suggest either a long dress or none at all just in case of slips lol.

2. A black dress. This is the classic night outfit and it can leave a good impression (as long as you look good in black! lol). I would go with a statement necklace and a simple black dress with maybe a bit of design (like a cinched waist or something). Pumps and a bright clutch. It should come to just above the knee (nothing with slits up your thigh!).

3. A sundress would look really nice but like you said if you go climbing that would be a problem. I would try to find out what you might be doing first but if you can't go the safe route and choose shorts. A cute tank (here are ways to dress it up https://www.instyle.com/instyle/pack...777077,00.html) would be great.

A few more sites: https://www.instyle.com/instyle/pack...800062,00.html

https://www.elle.com/Fashion/Fashion...Personal-Style

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X