SO doesnt like my friends.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO doesnt like my friends.

My SO and I have been together since school. We have mutual friends from school which is all cool.

However, I moved to uni and he moved about 6 months later to be with me. He has met my uni friends and we have all hung out as a group before, but now he refuses to spend time with me when I'm with them (I don't get to see them very often anymore I might add, maybe once a month at most). He thinks that they dont like him, I asked him to explain what made him feel that way and he said whenever we hang out with them he just gets ignored.

He has not yet introduced me to his uni friends despite countless promises (He has been at uni for 3 yrs, me 4yrs).

Should I confront my uni friends with this? I'd love to be able to hang out as a group again!
    Si tu n'etais pas la
    Comment pourrais-je vivre
    Je ne connaitrais pas
    Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
    Quand je suis dans tes bras
    Mon coeur joyeux se livre
    Comment pourrais-je vivre
    Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
    Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

If they are really your friends, I think you could definitely ask them, and they should give you a pretty honest answer. It would help you figure out how to maybe get around any barriers and include him in your activities more. Also, next time you ask your SO to come out with your friends and they say no, you could totally suggest hanging out with his friends instead. :P

I'll be honest, too, one of my best friends has an SO that I just don't know how to interact with because he's got a really different personality type from our group of friends, so we often end up in situations where we won't say a word to one another without my friend there.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Well if you are really close to your uni friends then you should be able to open up & ask what they think of your SO. It must feel a little awkward for your SO as they are your friends and it's going to take some time for him to feel welcomed by them & settle in. There are times in all of our lives when were introduced to new people & we don't feel quite comfortable until we've spent time with them. Give your SO time and I'm sure it will all work out....

Started Writing - February 2010
      First Visit - September 2010
      Second Visit - June 2011
      Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
      Our Wedding Day - April 2012
      Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
      NOA1 - July 2012
      NOA2 - December 2012
      Fourth Visit - December 2012
      Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

This has happened to me before. Whilst I was with my SO I was trying to talk to some bloke she was talking to and she would try to invite me into the conversation as well but he ended up just ignoring me. Bothered the hell out of me!

I don't think it's so much that he doesn't like them, I think he just feels really left out. Which can happen quite a lot considering when you do go out with your friends you are talking about stuff and events that you all know of whereas your SO is just coming into this and he might not be aware of the topics you are talking about. Definitely talk about it, if they haven't even realized they were doing it then just ask them to try engage in conversation with him more. That being said when you do hang out with your friends, also try to make an effort to talk about topics that can give your SO a chance to speak. Mutual interests between your SO and your friends perhaps. You should know best! Good luck

Comment

Working...
        X