No announcement yet.

"Catfish" TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually just watched the movie the other day with my SO; we both thought it was really well put together, and how they showed both sides as much as possible without tearing the other side apart too much (even though it was a crazy situation)

But we also both figured for the show, they probably have picked the character/story profiles that seem the most suspicious/shady. I mean from the get-go I thought the movie guy's situation was pretty sus, but they probably researched and were like "He's never let you skype with him before? Makes up excuses for not meeting? BINGO! We have a winner". Rather than the couples who video-chat etc together.

I think I will watch, just to see the set up really. I really do hope they featured some successful first meetings, but then it's MTV so I won't get my hopes up...

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Anyone going to watch the premiere tonight? I know that there will be some happy and sad moments coming from all this, but I'm still interested in how all of this will play out.

Comment

Im so excited to see this but am so scared at the same time. im so glad i found this website.

Comment

Originally posted by ST25 View Post
          Anyone going to watch the premiere tonight? I know that there will be some happy and sad moments coming from all this, but I'm still interested in how all of this will play out.
          I'm definitely going to watch it, been kind of anticipating it because like others, I'm very curious to see what their motives are with this ..

Comment

I met my SO online, but this still seems like it could be interesting. I don't really care what light it portrays meeting online in since there are tons of things everywhere already telling you to not give out personal information to anyone you meet on the internet. I've talked to my SO tons, we have met in person, etc so it can't really harm how I view my relationship and I don't really care how anyone else views it because it's mine, not theirs. I may check this show out though, I am guilty of watching the random stupid dating shows that used to come on there all the time anyway.

Edit: After watching a couple of the trailers and stuff it seems like the show is mainly about getting people with fake profiles to come clean with the other person or something, maybe? I am curious to see what angle they take with the show. Either way, it still seems interesting.
            Last edited by XxFranticLovexX; November 12, 2012, 05:19 PM.
            "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
            This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
            Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

I won't be able to watch it tonight, (I'll be at work), but it IS set to record!! I might watch it when I get home in the morning!

Comment

Wah, I don't have a TV or cable. I guess I'll have to see if they post it online.

EtA: WOW, what a way to word a title... I just found this article posted on MTV's website. It makes me kind of mad. https://remotecontrol.mtv.com/2012/1...online-dating/

but as soon as Nev hears that famous line: "We haven't met yet," there is reason to believe that something just ain't right.
                Last edited by kittyo9; November 12, 2012, 05:56 PM.
                Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I have been very interested in watching the show and I am currently watching it. I am super nervous for this girl!

Comment

Originally posted by AABRCL05 View Post
                    I have been very interested in watching the show and I am currently watching it. I am super nervous for this girl!
                    gahhh I hate being in a later time zone I wanna watchhhh

Notes:
                    Met: 8.17.09
                    Started Dating: 8.20.09
                    First Met: 10.2.10
                    Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

So for anyone who did watch Catfish last night- what are your thoughts on the show??? I think that I am full on addicted already and it is the 1st show. It also made me realize how lucky I was when meeting my SO online and then meeting him in person. I would have been so heart broken if he wasn't who he said he was- it makes me so thankful to have him in my life!

Comment

the whole time i was watching it, it was like, how in the world did she think it was actually the guy?!?! If she's been talking on the phone, she should have realized it obviously sounded like a girl. And then at the end, they kinda made the girl who was pretending sound like the hero because she'd been bullied. I'm still super mad at her! How could she have done that?!

Best part in my opinion was when she actually got to talk to the real RJ on skype at the end. Can you imagine? haha
                        Whatever is meant to be will always find its way.

Comment

I couldn't believe she couldn't tell she wasn't a guy...regardless at least she found out and the girl needs help because that's sick!

Comment

There's a lot of speculation that the movie Catfish is fake. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

And that second Youtube clip is nauseating. He's playing "good cop" to get people to trust him enough to confess to a crime. "Sure bud, I get it, you were angry, everyone gets angry. That's why you had to smash his windows with a bat. It's OK, I get it. You're not alone. Talk to us, you'll feel better." [[[gag]]] He doesn't want people to come on the show to come clean and feel better. He wants people to come on the show to make great drama for his camera.

The whole set up is exploitative and will capitalize on peoples shock and pain. Yes it's a good thing for people to find out that the person they're in love with doesn't exist, but I doubt anyone wants cameras and MTV shows recording all their pain.

Not to mention this show is just another thread in the "LDRs AREN'T REAL RELATIONSHIPS Y'ALL" quilt.

Comment

When Nev first talked to "RJ" for the first time on the phone, I was thinking to myself it is either a young kid or a girl. I would have picked up on that right away. Then the other things that Nev discovered about the girl in the first 30 mins of the show, I knew it was going to be something bad.

Loved the part where she actually got to talk to the real RJ as well, that was a good way to end the episode!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleVari View Post
                                There's a lot of speculation that the movie Catfish is fake. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

And that second Youtube clip is nauseating. He's playing "good cop" to get people to trust him enough to confess to a crime. "Sure bud, I get it, you were angry, everyone gets angry. That's why you had to smash his windows with a bat. It's OK, I get it. You're not alone. Talk to us, you'll feel better." [[[gag]]] He doesn't want people to come on the show to come clean and feel better. He wants people to come on the show to make great drama for his camera.

The whole set up is exploitative and will capitalize on peoples shock and pain. Yes it's a good thing for people to find out that the person they're in love with doesn't exist, but I doubt anyone wants cameras and MTV shows recording all their pain.

Not to mention this show is just another thread in the "LDRs AREN'T REAL RELATIONSHIPS Y'ALL" quilt.
                                ^ basically how I feel, although I do still hope that they share some happy moments. I did forget to mention that there had been some doubt (that's a link to an article) as to whether Catfish was actually a relationship or just a set-up.
                                Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                                Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                                Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Working...
                                X