Job Corps question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job Corps question

I've been helping Dan with his job searching, and trying to think of ways for us to be closer together with benefit to him. Does anybody know how job corps works? I've read about it in the past and I think It may be kinda good for him.

Would he be able to sign up for Job Corps in my state? Do they allow weekend visitors?
    Made it official: 12-01-10
    First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
    Closed the distance: 07-31-13

honey I was there for 8 months, if he has ANY amount of maturity dont do it, Seriously.

I went there.

You have to get a " Day pass " to even leave during the day ( this depends on center tho not all require them ) meaning you need to get permission to leave the center, even if you are over 18.

The " zero tolerance " policy is NOT followed at all. They had students, drinking, doing drugs and having sex on center and gave them multipul chances. Im sorry but zero tolerance should mean once you have broken a rule like that you are out, and we are not just talking second chances. We are talking people did this kinda stuff several times and were just able to get another chance.

I had a guy put his hands on me, What was done, not shit. nothing, the guy got written up that all.

They only give you so much to live on. the most you can get a month is like $80 and thats after you have been there for like 6+ months.

You are expected to buy your own stuff, tooth paste, laundry soap, shampoo, soap, deodorant ect.

Oh and hon if you are doing this to get him closer to you do not bother. My SO was in one in PA and I was in one in OH, they will not let you transfer out of state we both tried, they try to keep you " close to home "

The person who does the transfers lied to my SO saying if he wanted to go to one in ohio he had to move there.

I was there for 8 months, I finished, got my degree. and have NOTHING to show for it. at all. I lost my first job and have been out everyday trying to find one for about two months now. not shit.

I didnt even get to get my drivers license. They didnt want me to get it there because I was done with my trade. they " felt I was using them to get my drivers license " Knowing, that there was NO WAY for me to get it back home. They didnt care. they just sent me home, I have no drivers license just my permit meaning now in order to get my license I have to fork out $400+ for driving school back home.

Don't bother with it, its so not work it, he would be better off getting a job and going to a college in your state.

Oh and the staff is horrible, ignorant and rude and NO MATTER HOW MATURE YOU ARE YOU ARE TREATED LIKE A CHILD

You have to basically ask permission for everything,

You are not allowed to have your own car if you are a resident.
    If you do have your car there and you are a resident you have to GIVE YOUR KEYS TO THE STAFF.

Oh and the food will almost kill you, My boyfriend hardly ate at his center, and at my center i had to go out to eat a lot because the " free food " is really horrible, and no you are not allowed on food stamps while you are there.

Also there is a lot of stealing. Someone had their xbox stolen, games, dvds, books you name it and other students will steal it.

The education level is really low there, and thats saying something because I was in special ed classes in high school.

The people there are so ignorant and the money you make wont amount to crap once you pay for your stuff that you need.
    especially if he pays for his own cell phone.

Also you are not allowed any wepons not even mace. So say he goes to a new city he doesnt know decides to go out for a bit, gets mugged and he isnt even allowed mace to protect himself.

Trust me honey he is better off going to college and getting a real education.

I spent 8 months there, and those 8 months were wasted, had I stayed here I could have kept my job and I would now have a place for me and my SO.

and the only reason I stayed and got the degree was because I made a promise to my mom.

trust me it is in no way worth it, he is better off just getting his GED if he doesnt have his diploma, and then going to a real school. Getting a real job and a real education.

Oh and that reminds me, they wouldnt let me have a job while I was there, I had already had an interview and was promised a job and I just had to get it okayed by the school they said no because they felt it was unsafe.

Job corps is supposed to give you the education to help you find and keep a job, but they wont let you have a job while you are there.

and out of me and all my friends that did complete the program only one has a job and a place of his own now, and that was after a month.

I have about maybe 5 friends that completed, guess what, we all still live with our parents.

trust me not worth it.
    " There is always hope.
    "

Comment

Geeze O_O I guess we'll just have to keep lookin
      Made it official: 12-01-10
      First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
      Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Yeah, they make it sound wonderful when its complete crap, I regret ever going.
        Had I stayed home I would have kept the job I had before I left, gotten my own place for me and my SO and then went to college on my own.
        But not much I can do about it now.
        " There is always hope.
        "

Comment

i undeerstand where she is coming from. my babe went to job corp and hes having a hard time right now. im still at jobcorp. thats where we met. its not all that it seems...

First met: Jan 2013
          Started dating: 3/13/13

Comment

Working...
          X