A small light...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A small light...

Dan and I were looking at bus tickets last night and we actually found some that are less than half of what a plane ticket would cost. Of course it would be a longer travel for him (a little over a day and 1/2) but it really helps the money issue.

Only left to do now is....

Tell my parents about him

-gulp-

Any advice on how to tell them? I've been hiding this for two years...
    Made it official: 12-01-10
    First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
    Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Well you probably shouldn't have hid it that long cause they'll be super unhappy about that. You just have to bite the bullet and tell them.

Comment

Two years is pretty long.. I don't know if you had a specific reason for that, but all you can do now is just tell them and say you're sorry you didn't tell them earlier, like snow_girl said. I would do that first before booking the tickets and all! Just in case something might not go according to your plan and all... Good luck! I'm sure they'll be fine with it in the end if you just go about it calmly.

Comment

I know I waited a little longer than most, which was probably a bad idea. But the reason why is because I've had ldr's in the past and my parents aren't exactly supportive. I always get the "why cant you meet somebody here" or "how do you know he's real" speech then when I've show them photos they nit pick "he doesn't look his age" "he looks very similar to the last one" (when they look nothing alike) blahblahblah and I was really done with going through that. I just didn't wanna hear it this time which why I keep putting it off. My parents also have very big mouths and they talk about my personal life to anybody they can even when I ask them not to. Like when I was 18 and lost my virginity, a week later the entire family knew even after I asked my mom to keep it between us. Them my mom acts oh so innocent when I confront her about it and acts like im making a huge deal out of nothing.

Telling them anything just causes so much unwanted stress.
        Last edited by Black_Halloween; November 24, 2012, 02:37 PM.
        Made it official: 12-01-10
        First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
        Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Halloween View Post
          Dan and I were looking at bus tickets last night and we actually found some that are less than half of what a plane ticket would cost. Of course it would be a longer travel for him (a little over a day and 1/2) but it really helps the money issue.

Only left to do now is....

Tell my parents about him

-gulp-

Any advice on how to tell them? I've been hiding this for two years...
          Congrats on taking the bus, instead of having to spend more money. I have taken the bus before, having to make several transfers. But it was still cheaper than flying.

First Visit: September 2016
          Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
          Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
          For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
          John 4:12
          I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

I think you need to suck it up and tell them. Warn them ahead of time that you want them to hear you all the way through first before they say anything... that might help your case a little bit

Good luck!

sigpic

Comment

I have kept my relationship a secret from my parents for 3 years and counting and I've met my SO three times. You don't HAVE to tell them why you're going AR, just tell them you want to take a mini vacation for yourself with your own money and be done with it. Or tell them you'll be spending however many days with a friend and won't be home for awhile.

Sure honestly is great and all that jazz until they tell you you can't see your SO or talk to him. Do what's best for you and your relationship you won't be living with your parents forever and if you have to deal with them controlling your life it's best not to tell them.

Notes:
              Met: 8.17.09
              Started Dating: 8.20.09
              First Met: 10.2.10
              Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Best way is to be honest with them or you'll there trust more.

Comment

I initially kept it from my mother as well (cultural issues mostly). It almost got to a year but the lying wore me out. Firstly, it's your life and you're definitely old enough to carry on as you see fit. Secondly, while I don't know exactly how your relationship is with your family, it's relieving to be honest with your parents. They seem to be as supportive as any (most older folks would be pretty confounded by LDRs in general, really).

They're going to be upset about you keeping it a secret so long. You don't exactly have to say it's been a whole two years.. They'll probably ask how long it's been and it may complicate things in the future to lie again. I'd just sit them down, tell them you have an important announcement (preface by apologizing..) and let them be mad/lecture as long as they want. It's probably going to suck, but it's got to be done. Good luck.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I have to agree with the rest. Let them know you'd like to talk and that you're sorry for keeping a secret for so long. Honesty is the best policy even if it is hard.

Comment

Have you ever outright lied about him? Could you not simply tell them you've been talking to someone for a couple years now and he wants to come out?

Comment

Working...
                      X