Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contraception

this is about the implant contraception- please skip if TMI

i don't know where i am atm with my cycle thanks to the implant. before moving to northampton i had finished on the pill; and after 5 years of depressions and mood swings i finally convinced my Doc to change it. there was a small waiting list for the implant, during which i fell pregnant. I could not keep it as i had literally accepted my now current job. So i had the abortion and got the implant. 6 weeks later period came thro fine, if a bit prolonged. it is now 38 days gone and nothing. am slightly worried. i know it's gotta try n settle, but wat if i take test now and its positive? i really don't want to have to go thro that procedure again alone this time (i've no one close in northampton to confide in yet). It'll break the BF heart to know i'd have to go through it again. (he defo doesn't want kids ((thats a different story)) but he was sad to see me in such pain).

has anyone else been on the implant- and any tips??

before you comment- i understand there maybe some amongst you who dispise my decision; but i feel that you cannot bring up a child on benefits (i am the product of such an upbringing and hate it). I want to establish my career to be able to HAVE kids. ty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contraceptive_implant

"30% Women have no more bleeding periods (sign of total efficacity)"
    "Irregular bleeding for the first 6–12 months"

If you are concerned, take a pregnancy test, but I think you're probably fine.

Comment

I've heard the same things as stephanieaz. The implant can make your periods irregular or stop altogether. However since none of us here are doctors, the best thing to do if you're really concerned is to see your GP. Only he or she can really tell you what's going on.
      "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
      Made it official: September 17, 2010
      Got engaged: January 15, 2012
      Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
      Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
      Got married: November 21, 2012
      Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
      Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I hated the implant.. but yeah Uhm, pretty normal to have spazzy periods on it so you're probably safe.
        When I was on it I couldn't stop bleeding, but I'd gotten it with the hope of having fewer periods as that can be one of the perks.
        Best person to talk to is your doctor.

I'd be thinking of using a back up BC method too, because there's only so many abortions you can have without doing some kind of damage. (Or so I believe, maybe we've gotten better at it and it's less risky now... I dunno. Something to think on anyway. Abortion is not a form of contraception.)
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Not meaning to hijack your thread but I'm in a little bit of a similar situation. I got the Mirena a little over a month ago and have had two periods since. They seem really light but lasts for more than a week each time, which is incredibly long for me. I'm considering calling the doctor but I don't want to be one of those people who freak out over a little bit of blood. Anyone have such a reaction to the Mirena?

Comment

Originally posted by 13000km View Post
            Not meaning to hijack your thread but I'm in a little bit of a similar situation. I got the Mirena a little over a month ago and have had two periods since. They seem really light but lasts for more than a week each time, which is incredibly long for me. I'm considering calling the doctor but I don't want to be one of those people who freak out over a little bit of blood. Anyone have such a reaction to the Mirena?
            I have Mirena and love it. I can go a couple of months without a period then sometimes I'll have spotting that lasts for a couple of weeks but that is becoming rarer. They also told me that I would probably have spotting (light period) for about 3 months after putting in the Mirena which was what happened. But seriously, if you are concerned, don't be afraid to go to the doctor. That's what they're there for.

Comment

Originally posted by 13000km View Post
              I have a mirena, too, and love it. It's the same with the implant though. they both cause changes in your period. I haven't had a period in a year. It's AMAZING. They used to be so terrible and make me sick so that I couldn't do anything for a couple days. But really, I've only had random tiny spots in the past year. If you are concerned, talk to the doctor, though. But most will tell you the same thing. It takes a few months for your body to sort out what's going on. So problems in the first three months are just adjustments. Just wait it out and if in three months it still isn't "normal" or something better (like me and many other mirena users who have no periods), then seriously talk to the doc. My first three months were a bit rocky. I had a pretty hellish period about a month in, and some PMS like symptoms for a solid couple weeks a month later. But since then, it's been smooth sailing.
              Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
              Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
              Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
              LD again: July 24, 2012
              Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
              Married: November 1, 2014
              Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

If you are really worried about it talk to your doctor they can tell you exactly what's going on, as for contraception i agree with abortion isn't a good form of contraception and honestly if your SO doesn't want kids, maybe he should consider getting snipped (vasectomy) that way he doesn't have to worry about having kids .

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I have the implant and have absolutely no periods and love it. I had one slightly odd period a few weeks after I got the implant but since then I have not had any (I think for the first 3 months I had really light spotting, like literally only saw it on the TP after wiping maybe 3 or 4 times). So having no period is not a big deal. I think abortions are also pretty fool proof, so if you had one I am sure you are no longer pregnant, but if you are really concerned you should go to your doc.

It takes a few weeks for pregnancy hormone to drop after an abortion, but if you are 6 weeks post abortion the test should not show positive

Comment

Another one in the same situation. I've had the implant for 2 years with pretty much non stop bleeding (One week off two weeks on kind of pattern). My doc prescribed me the pill to settle things down, but it didn't really work, until now. I'm off the pill and I've had almost a month with no bleeding. Even though I know one of the side effects is no periods, this is such a huge change in my cycle that, like you, I'm concerned this could signal pregnancy. I'm due to have it removed soon as well according to my card (even though its only been in 2 years not 3...) so I'm worried that the protection might be "wearing off"... Don't have much advice, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I may take a pregnancy test in the next couple of weeks just to be sure, but that's the only advice I can really offer. I hope everything works out OK for you!
                    Si tu n'etais pas la
                    Comment pourrais-je vivre
                    Je ne connaitrais pas
                    Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
                    Quand je suis dans tes bras
                    Mon coeur joyeux se livre
                    Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
                    Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Comment

Just wanted to update. Over a month and still no period so I took a test yesterday. It was negative so I'm assuming its just my body finally adjusting to the damn thing.
                      Si tu n'etais pas la
                      Je ne connaitrais pas
                      Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
                      Quand je suis dans tes bras
                      Mon coeur joyeux se livre
                      Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
                      Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Comment

Working...
                      X