Best LDR apps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best LDR apps?

I am sure in this world of Smart Phones this topic has been posted before. However I couldn't find it, and I am lazy. I want to know what apps people use and love for LDR's.

I personally use, in rank of usefulness

WhatsApp (use daily multiple times and love it)
    Viber (again, use daily, however it could be better)
    Pair (this is our "one of us is sleeping but we need to leave a message" app.)
    Tango (I kinda hate it, but for the rare times Viber is down it serves a purpose)

Any others/opinions on these?

My SO introduced me to Blip.me (walkie-talkie on my iPhone). I love it. It's like an instant voice message... so we have conversations that way instead of over the phone sometimes so we can listen when it's more convenient... like if I have the kids and can't stand there on the phone. It's my favorite app now but I don't use it enough LOL. I'll have to check out some of these others you suggested! Thanks!!!

Comment

I use pair and oovoo. ( oovoo is a web cam app. works pretty well sometimes its better than skype )
      " There is always hope.
      "

Comment

I just downloaded Tringme... apparently you can use it to make free voip calls with your smartphone. I havent had a chance to try it out yet

Comment

I like Pair too. I also downloaded Avocado but I haven't had the chance to use it yet. It has pretty good reviews though.

Comment

oh I wasn't crazy about Pair, but I just downloaded Avocado... I love the shared list... I think it will be great for preparing for our visit!!
            First met online: June, 2010
            First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
            Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
            Third visit together: August, 2012
            Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
            Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
            Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
            Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

We love testing out new apps. We both have iPhones. So far WhatsApp has been our "go-to" app, it's just the most comprehensive messenger out there and most reliable over time.

We're currently giving Pair another try now after the update but same problems keep happening - image gallery won't open or it takes ages, the app is slow and battery consuming, and notifications aren't as reliable.

We've used Avocado and it has some neat features plus it looks lovely, but again, it was unreliable with notifications and you can't see when the other person is logged in or typing.

Next on the list to try are Cupple and SimplyUs, they're also messenger/shared tasks apps for couples. Not got round to it yet.

We don't speak on the phone much but when we do it's on Viber.
              For video chat we use FaceTime although I'm thinking to go back to Skype as FT has had some annoying issues lately.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Do you guys have any recommendations for apps that are LDR-related that can be used on only one end? Only one of us has a smartphone.
                Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Well, I like Words With Friends for allowing us to play a game we both enjoy, while we're really far apart.

Comment

We both have countdown app, maybe not what you mean, but I love it Has this cute little heart next to the date, time goes faster.

Comment

I use (with my best friend who's in chile as i'm single)

Whatsapp (love this one, i like that it lets me know when the messages get sent as sometimes i don't know through other programs)
                      Viber (love for phone calls, we talk a lot and it just uses data, but not too much even if we talk for 2-3 hours at a time)
                      Skype (like the one on the computer except portable )
                      Voxer (we don't use it much, but it's a good walkie-talkie type program)
                      ChatOn (from what i know it's only available for samsung phones, but a good program when the others don't work)

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
                        Do you guys have any recommendations for apps that are LDR-related that can be used on only one end? Only one of us has a smartphone.
                        curious to know the answer to this, only one of us have a smartphone

Comment

I figure the skype app would be good but there's others better?

Comment

Originally posted by Romeo s Juliet View Post
                            curious to know the answer to this, only one of us have a smartphone
                            Avocado has both an iPhone/Android and web version. You can make lists, calendar dates, send pics and messages on both smartphone and computer.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

my best app is find my friends its tracking tool, you know where he is all the time and he knows where you are..

Comment

Working...
                              X