In need of major advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In need of major advice...

The past week has been an emotional week. I broke up with Kaleb last thursday. I said we needed to take a break but as the days went on I realized he wasn't the one for me. Throughout the week, another guy has really been there for me. He's made me really happy, actually. He's been sweeter to me than Kaleb has been in a long time.

This is where things get complicated. I talked to Kaleb yesterday morning for the first time since the break up. He was telling me all the things I had wanted to hear for the longest time and he said he wanted me back and wanted to try again. I told him it was too late but he just kept saying it. He was saying how it was a real wake up call, me doing that and that he realizes how important I was to him now. Part of me says to believe him but part of me knows how much he's put me through and thinks he won't change.

Then, yesterday afternoon I spent it with the other guy. It started out as purely just friends hanging out but it turned into a lot more than that. He was doing everything right and was being a true gentleman the whole night, something Kaleb has never done for me. I went hope really really happy, it was a perfect ending to that crazy day.

I'm just confused, I guess. Do I end it for good with Kaleb, regardless of the history with him, because another guy has been great to me for a week? Or do I trust that Kaleb has really had a wake-up call, and give it another try?

Thanks for the help in advance.
    started dating: 12/08/12
    "i love you": 04/12/13
    el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
    montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
    el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
    montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
    el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
    el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
    el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
    san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
    san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

End it with your ex. You broke up for a reason, and it sounds like you really like the new guy.

Comment

I think if you already found someone who you can be comfortable with and that makes you feel happy where you live then end it with your ex. It will be hard for him to get over it, but if you are truly meant to be together with Kaleb then perhaps you'll cross paths again one day. Give it a shot with this new guy! (: Hope it all works out. Do what's best for you though, don't be afraid of hurting Kaleb.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGirl View Post
        I think if you already found someone who you can be comfortable with and that makes you feel happy where you live then end it with your ex. It will be hard for him to get over it, but if you are truly meant to be together with Kaleb then perhaps you'll cross paths again one day. Give it a shot with this new guy! (: Hope it all works out. Do what's best for you though, don't be afraid of hurting Kaleb.
        I agree with this!

I broke up with my SO over the summer... about a month later I met someone else and my SO did exactly what you described... It was difficult, but I felt I had to see this new relationship through since it had potential. When the new relationship ended, my SO was there for me... but I didn't go back to him right away... I tried to date, I tried to figure out what I wanted and what I needed. In the end I told him I would go visit him and we could talk things out properly then. We got back together, and though we both have some scars from the summer, we are also so much stronger for it. He got a chance to REALLY re-evaluate his priorities... but I did too. I got a chance to know what I wanted, what I could live with and what I couldn't compromise on...

And in your case, maybe the new guy WILL work out... Maybe he won't but you will learn something new about yourself that will make you stronger for your next relationship whoever it is with and no matter when that relationship will be.

*hugs* Good luck! I know how hard it is to break up with someone you still love!
        First met online: June, 2010
        First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
        Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Third visit together: August, 2012
        Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
        Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
        Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Thank you all so much It's made me feel a lot better about this.
          started dating: 12/08/12
          "i love you": 04/12/13
          el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
          montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
          el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
          montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
          el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
          el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
          el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
          san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
          san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

I think you should give the new guy a try. I personally don't believe that people change, they only behave different for a little while, but old habits don't die...Goodluck

Comment

Give the new guy a shot. Like others have said, you broke up with ur ex for a reason. Change doesn't happen instantly and even though he claims it was a wake up call he'll probably fall into the same bad habits again if you give him another chance.
              "You want for myself
              You get me like no one else
              I am beautiful with you

I am beautiful with you
              Even in the darkest part of me
              I am beautiful with you
              Make it feel the way it's supposed to be
              You're here with me
              Just show me this and I'll believe
              I am beautiful with you"

-Halestorm

Comment