Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else having a no-contact Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else having a no-contact Christmas?

There are a lot of posts on here lately about what couples are doing together, whether physically or virtually, during Christmas.

Is anyone else, through choice or otherwise, having a holiday with no contact whatsoever, or minimal contact?

For various reasons which I won't go into here, my partner and I are doing this. I haven't got anyone to spend the festive season with - so I'm spending my week off work alone, I'll probably go out and do a few walks in the country and things, as long as the weather is OK.

She's got a lot of family and friends, and so she's spending the holidays having family time, to which I'm not 'invited' virtually. It's very clear that this is time she wants to spend with her family, rather than online with me. I really don't want to interrupt or intrude on her family time, I don't feel particularly welcome to contact her, so I'm making myself scarce for the period.

I just wondered if anyone else is in a similar situation, where they're having a 'no contact' holiday period, and what people are doing to help themselves out during this time?

I am not having a complete no-contact Christmas...but it will be very minimal because my boyfriend has to work a 12hr shift. I plan on spending my Christmas with my family.

Comment

I didn't spend Christmas with my last LDR. I didn't really have an issue with it because we were both spending time with family and then seeing each other a few weeks later. I can understand how it could be hard though. Many people want to be able to experience holidays with a loved one but some times its just not possible. Maybe you two can do something before or after that would make up for the missed time? I know that my SO plans on going back to Texas next year to see his mom for Christmas. If I'm invited that would be great. If not I understand since he wants to go and spend time with his mom and never gets to see her really. So, I know it means a lot to him. You are great if you are being understanding of her wanting to be with her family during this time. Just keep in mind that it is one holiday and you two will possibly be able to spend future ones together.

Met Online: 02/2012
      Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
      First Met in person: 09/22/2012
      Started Dating: 10/30/2012
      Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

Us, probably. I've got my family obligations and he has his, nothing that can be done about it, really. We don't say we're having no contact, of course, but we've been together long enough to know how it goes, and the 7 hour time difference between us ensures we won't be home at the same time to talk. You sound a little, mmmmm, passively bitter about it maybe? Don't be, it sucks, but these are the things that make LDR's challenging. Obligations come up sometimes that can make holiday contact very difficult, but temporary, if you manage to close the distance eventually.

It can be really hard though, last year he was here for Christmas, and it was amazing, so this year I'll be feeling his absence that much more. I can't go to him for Christmas, my daughter would never forgive me (even though she's an adult), so it is what it is. Good luck, try to enjoy the holiday, and remember, we've almost all got family obligations we need to sort out during this time of year, and next year may be completely different.
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

My husband and I will probably have only minimal contact on Christmas this year. I'm going to be spending the whole day with my family, and he'll be in England by himself. Sometimes these are things that just happen. Like the others said if you manage to close the distance, you may not have to spend any other Christmases alone. Everything eventually works out for the best it seems.
          "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
          Made it official: September 17, 2010
          Got engaged: January 15, 2012
          Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
          Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
          Got married: November 21, 2012
          Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
          Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Well..., he'll be in Birmingham for the next week and then off to Abu Dabi for Christmas until like the 6th.

Which doesn't really bother me
            as he's going with a family member but I kind of wish I'd get to see him on NYE for a bit.

Comment

I think my SO and I are having a no contact christmas this year. We aren't quite sure. She's vacationing to Germany for Christmas to visit her uncles so that she won't be alone. She's also meeting up with her best friend there. Whereas I, I have no idea what I'm doing this Christmas! Not yet, at least.

Comment

not really a no contact christmas but im gonna be sad this year : ( My husband and I have managed to spend the last three christmases together and this one we just cant make a visit happen. He'll be spending it with his family and friends but he'll make time to talk to me even with the time difference. They all know he tries to be by a PC when im at home. For me on the other hand i've requested to work all through the holidays (more money!) dont have family around me and will prob just met up with friends. I just gotta keep busy so i dont sit at home all sad hehe.

We've promised that next year we'll make up for it : ) hopefully by that time my visa is done so i'll be making my move to the states : ))

Comment

Limited communication....sucks :/
                  Made it official: 12-01-10
                  First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
                  Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

I'm not sure if we will or not. The most contact we have (if any) will most likely be when we can run to a computer to message one another between being busy with other things or maybe a short phone call or something if we have the time or a chance to do so. So contact will be limited but I'm not sure if it will be non-existent or not.
                    "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
                    This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
                    Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

I am because my bf doesn't celebrate xmas : (
                      We don't have the same religion.
                      I must admit it makes me sad a lil, I'll be spending xmas without the man i love T_T
                      ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

Originally posted by Softy View Post
                        I am because my bf doesn't celebrate xmas : (
                        We don't have the same religion.
                        I must admit it makes me sad a lil, I'll be spending xmas without the man i love T_T
                        Would he celebrate Christmas if he was with you? My BF's religion also doesn't celebrate Christmas but he's always super excited to have a reason to celebrate it with me.

We will be spending Christmas together this year, but I'm already worried about next year (ridiculous, I know) because I already know I won't be able to go to him next year... I'm sure we will have contact though.. it's the nice thing about him not celebrating Christmas (without me) he has no other obligations during that time of year)
                        First met online: June, 2010
                        First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
                        Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                        Third visit together: August, 2012
                        Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                        Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
                        Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
                        Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Not no contact but it will be minimal. On my Christmas Eve, which is Christmas day for him, we'll both be with our families. On my Christmas day I'll be working and it's Boxing Day for him so he'll be with his family once more. And on that day they go up into the hills to his mom's vacation house where there's no reception. So I really won't talk to him much that day at all :/

Met online: 1/30/11
                          Met in person: 5/30/12
                          Second visit: 9/12/12
                          Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

He will probably be very busy helping his parents with the preparations, and then spending some quality time with them, so I don't think we'll be as much in touch as usual (we don't celebrate Christmas here). But I'm sure he'll make time for a couple of texts or emails. But I'll be sure to leave him alone and not put any pressure on him because I know how much he loves Christmas. And hopefully I'll be there next time to celebrate it with him.
                            I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

We haven't really talked about it yet, but I'm pretty sure we'll have minimum contact.
                              I will be very busy helping my mom cook and decorate everything (which takes up to a week.. big polish christmas) and he'll be busy with his family. I will call his family to wish them a merry christmas and they will let me talk to him for a bit, but I don't think we'll have much time to spend together.
                              We always say that it's the last christmas we won't be spending together so we have to make the best out of it - next year is going to be my very first american christmas and I try to think of that, when I get sad that we can't be together this year!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                              Married: 1/24/2015
                              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X