Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys feel about the TV show Catfish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you guys feel about the TV show Catfish?

On one hand, I think it's good because it demystifies LDR relationships a bit. On the other hand... goddamn are there a lot of people who lie about their identity on this show. I'm trying to remember one couple where there wasn't a deception of some sort, and I can't (though, I've only watched a few episodes). Has anyone else seen it? Do you think this helps us or hurts us?

And has anyone on here been duped before and the person you fell in love with wasn't who they said they were?
    Last edited by orangelove; December 17, 2012, 08:02 PM.

Is this a reality tv show?

Met Online: 02/2012
    Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
    First Met in person: 09/22/2012
    Started Dating: 10/30/2012
    Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

Yes. It's on MTV. It's by the same guys who did the movie Catfish. They find people who have never met their SO and bring them together.

Comment

There was a thread on this somewhere when the show first aired.. I just don't remember which sub-forum it was in.

I watch the show just because it interests me. I guess it could hurt the image of ldr's but, honestly, people already doubt them quite a bit. I don't care if people believe in my relationship or not because it's my relationship and it's my business. As long as I know that he's real, I know that my relationship is real, and I am okay with it then I really don't care if anyone else is or not. It's my life, my choice, and up to me how I go about it. I'm a grown woman and I am capable of making my own decisions and judging the character or people for myself, online and off.

The entire show is based around people lying about their identity to their 'partner' though, that's the idea behind the show and what the term 'catfish' means. Though, I am amazed at how gullible some of these people are.

Oh, I forgot the last question..
        I've never been duped by anyone that I've met online and became friends with (that I know of). This is the only ldr I have been in and the only actual relationship I have formed by meeting someone online so my experience may not be the majority, but I do have quite a few online friends.
        Last edited by XxFranticLovexX; December 17, 2012, 08:16 PM.
        "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
        This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
        Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

Originally posted by XxFranticLovexX View Post
          I don't care if people believe in my relationship or not because it's my relationship and it's my business. As long as I know that he's real, I know that my relationship is real, and I am okay with it then I really don't care if anyone else is or not. It's my life, my choice, and up to me how I go about it. I'm a grown woman and I am capable of making my own decisions and judging the character or people for myself, online and off.
          PREACH! Excuse me while I save this quote for moments in which I need a bit of badassery

Comment

Originally posted by orangelove View Post
            PREACH! Excuse me while I save this quote for moments in which I need a bit of badassery
            Be my guest lol. XD

Edit: This reply made me think of Beauty and the Beast but I don't know what to replace it with. >_<;
            "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
            This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
            Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

Well I had this whole thing written out and it didn't post so I'm just gonna say I like the show because it's interesting. I don't think it hurts LDR's because these people getting fooled seem like total naive fools.

Notes:
              Met: 8.17.09
              Started Dating: 8.20.09
              First Met: 10.2.10
              Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I have watched every episode so far and I have to say that I really do enjoy the show. It def makes me put a different perspective on my own relationship and how lucky I was to have found someone who didn't lie to me about who they were. I don't feel like it would help or hurt people who are in LDR's, because it focuses more on the aspect of meeting people who have met online, but have never met in person.

I 100% agree with XxFranticLovexX- my relationship is my business and no one else's business!

Comment

Seems like an interesting show. I've never heard the term Catfish before. I know people lie on the internet about their identity but idk how you could develop a relationship with someone and lie about yourself the whole time. Out of all 3 people I have met from the internet (1 was my ex, 1 is my current SO and the other one is a girl who is a good friend of mine) none of them have lied about their identity.

Met Online: 02/2012
                  Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
                  First Met in person: 09/22/2012
                  Started Dating: 10/30/2012
                  Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

I like it. It's funny. I mean it's not all real but that's reality tv for you.

Comment

I watch it with my dad a lot hahaha. I just don't see how you could trust someone who refuses to video chat with you... that's a big red flag on its own.

Comment

I love the show I just think it's really screwed up a lot of the time. I like the show because I liked the movie but I think it does put a damper on LDR's a little bit.
                        "I love the stars and the moon because I know that I'm always sitting under the exact same ones as you"

Comment

I've liked it so far but haven't watched many episodes. The third one had me crying a good bit, and I felt so sad that he was just so worried about his weight. And he didn't lie really!

I don't think it puts a bad name on LDRs, if anything it just points out how you shouldn't be in an LDR if the person won't skype with you and won't meet you given the opportunity. Seriously, the things people will believe!! Like the one girl who believed her SO was studying to be an anaesthesiologist by correspondence...

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                          Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

I watch it. I watch it because sometimes I find it really funny, and because I really want a happy episode. I'm waiting for just one episode where the people are normal, with a normal relationship, and I want them to have their happily ever happy. (I understand that isn't the point of the show, but it's still what I want!)

Comment

I've watched the movie (with the SO) but not the show...

I have met tons of people online... Actually one of my closest friend and the friend whom I met pretty much every friend I have here in town through, is someone I met online... I also met my ex-husband online... and have experience with online dating...

I have never had a first-hand experience where someone lies about who they are...

It happens, but like others have mentioned, usually there are really big red flags...
                              First met online: June, 2010
                              First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
                              Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                              Third visit together: August, 2012
                              Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                              Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
                              Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
                              Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Working...
                              X