British citizen driving in the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British citizen driving in the US?

I was wondering, does anyone know that requirements needed for a UK citizen to legally drive in the US?

I know it's possible because people on their holidays sometimes rent their own cars and drive.
    And i was wondering if i could at all, to save my GF from driving me everywhere!

I have a full UK driving license.

Just a thought, thanks.

Well, the only thing i know for sure is that you will have to drive on the Right side of the road, which is on the right in the Usa! lol

Comment

The issue with renting a car here is I believe you have to be 21 in order to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiedPiper View Post
        The issue with renting a car here is I believe you have to be 21 in order to do so.
        What she said.
        Made it official: 12-01-10
        First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
        Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiedPiper View Post
          Yes, age is probably your biggest barrier here. It all depends on the rental companies, they used to all have the age limit at 25. Now some have lowered it but you have to pay a much bigger fee if you are under 25.

Here's your answer from the US Embassy in London:
          Will my British driver's license be adequate for renting a car?
          The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable.

Most car rental companies require that you have held a full license for at least one year, regardless of age. The minimum age for renting a car is normally 21 although it can be as high as 25. Often an additional charge is levied on drivers who are under 25 years of age.

International Driving Permits are generally not required in the U.S.A but it is helpful to carry one. If they are taken, they are only valid in conjunction with a full national driving license. They should not be accepted on their own. It is recommended that drivers who possess a full national license that is in script other than Roman, i.e. Cyrillic or Arabic, should also obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP).

Young drivers may wish to obtain an International Driving Permit to use as a photo ID, in place of a passport, for entry into bars and nightclubs where the minimum age for entry is 21 years.

Comment

I heard that a british license is only valid for 3 months there, at least thats what we were told. I rented a Uhaul van with no issues though.
            Si tu n'etais pas la
            Comment pourrais-je vivre
            Je ne connaitrais pas
            Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
            Quand je suis dans tes bras
            Mon coeur joyeux se livre
            Comment pourrais-je vivre
            Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
            Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Comment

I'm 21 very soon.
              and i literally just wanted to know if i could legally drive my girlfriends car at all.
              The uk you need insurance, and wasnt sure if it was the same for the US and stuffs.

Comment

Working...
              X