Convincing Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convincing Family

How can I convince my family to go to Southern Florida? I live in Canada so it's pretty difficult, every Canadian goes there though. I've never left Canada, farthest I've gone to was Niagara Fall's which is like nine (9) hour drive away.
    Last edited by Markoslav; December 22, 2012, 03:06 PM. Reason: fixed

Well I see by your age that you're 16. I don't think they'd EVER let you go alone (If I had children i'd never let them go off alone to see a guy they met online). Maybe you all can go together? It wouldn't be horrible. It would give your parents a positive experience in meeting your SO.
    Made it official: 12-01-10
    First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
    Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

I'm with black_halloween on this one. If you were my 16 year old daughter I probably wouldn't let you go alone either. I'm sure you understand why. lol But yeah talk to them about it, maybe make it a family trip. That could be really fun. Meanwhile, do you have a passport? Maybe start with getting that to show it's really something you would like to do. And well, you can't go to the US without one.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
      Married April 18th, 2015!!
      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Halloween View Post
        Well I see by your age that you're 16. I don't think they'd EVER let you go alone (If I had children i'd never let them go off alone to see a guy they met online). Maybe you all can go together? It wouldn't be horrible. It would give your parents a positive experience in meeting your SO.
        My friend went to Russia and other Slavic countries (Ukraine, Moldova and Romania) and even some Baltic countries at the age of fourteen (14) by plane, and then train from Western Russia to Moldova all alone. My family knows about that and that I'm mature and the likes. Yeah I think it would be nice if my family would actually wanna go to Southern Florida and everything. My family is also aware of my attribute of self-sufficiency as well.

Originally posted by Mims27 View Post
        I'm with black_halloween on this one. If you were my 16 year old daughter I probably wouldn't let you go alone either. I'm sure you understand why. lol But yeah talk to them about it, maybe make it a family trip. That could be really fun. Meanwhile, do you have a passport? Maybe start with getting that to show it's really something you would like to do. And well, you can't go to the US without one.
        I'm not a girl by the way, my name is Markoslav. Why did you think I was a girl, is this some sort of preconceived judgement? I'm afraid to tell my parents, except my mama would probably be really supportive, I haven't told them yet though. I don't have a passport because I'll have to renew it and stuff, I'll do that when I'm going.
        Last edited by Markoslav; December 22, 2012, 01:14 PM. Reason: added second post.

Comment

It's nice that your friend went travelling through Europe alone (which I find sceptical for a few reasons), but sadly your parents have the right to not want to go to Southern Florida.

It's not even related to maturity, it's just the fact that your 16. Either wait until your 18, or get your family to go to Southern Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
            It's nice that your friend went travelling through Europe alone (which I find sceptical for a few reasons), but sadly your parents have the right to not want to go to Southern Florida.

It's not even related to maturity, it's just the fact that your 16. Either wait until your 18, or get your family to go to Southern Florida.
            Yeah, I understand why you find it skeptical, also sorry he wasn't fourteen (14), he was thirteen (13) at that time. If you are Eastern Slavic though you shouldn't have a problem with it, if you are an immigrant though you shouldn't expect to survive the midst of Slavic cities. My parents would let me go to Southern Florida if I wanted to, just don't know how to ask or anything. I don't mean to relate this to maturity, I mean relating it to your own abstract thought and rationalized decision making. I'm serious about this, if you have a developed pre-frontal cortex then you have a stronger variant of abstract thought, allowing you to become more self-sufficient. Maturity is governed by your pre-frontal cortex development, which can be fully developed by the end of puberty. Especially if you are similar to me, a late bloomer, where an individual's mental process is delayed until an instant where the development is exponential and potent. This is what gives me the ability to be self-sufficient at the age of sixteen (16). Ultimately what I'm trying to connote is that I have the ability to be in Southern Florida in solitary, although the problem is convincing.
            Last edited by Markoslav; December 22, 2012, 01:39 PM. Reason: patched

Comment

It sounds really immature and bratty to stomp around and wine "Wahhhh but my friend got to go alone at 13!" or "Wahhh i'm grown up enough to go alone!". Your parents are not your friend's parents and it had nothing to do with maturity or how "self sufficient" you can be. Its about you only being 16yrs old and going to a different country alone to meet somebody that you met online. Whats so bad about your parents going with you? Are you ashamed of them? Afraid that they won't let you hangout with your SO alone? Afraid that they're going to want to chaperone everything?

Don't be in a hurry to grow up, its not as fun as you think it is lol

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Halloween View Post
                It sounds really immature and bratty to stomp around and wine "Wahhhh but my friend got to go alone at 13!" or "Wahhh i'm grown up enough to go alone!". Your parents are not your friend's parents and it had nothing to do with maturity or how "self sufficient" you can be. Its about you only being 16yrs old and going to a different country alone to meet somebody that you met online. Whats so bad about your parents going with you? Are you ashamed of them? Afraid that they won't let you hangout with your SO alone? Afraid that they're going to want to chaperone everything?

Don't be in a hurry to grow up, its not as fun as you think it is lol
                That's not what I'm saying though. I'm asking how I can convince them to go with me. That's my entire question, just how can I convince them. For example, how would you convince your family to go to somewhere you want to go? Self-sufficiency was used as an argument to tell the viewers, those reading this that the ability to actually be there, accomodation, etc is not what I'm looking for. I'm asking how I can convince. The friend thing about going to Slav countries at the age of thirteen was just an example of how it's not that dangerous really, and Russia, Ukraine and all those countries are FAR more dangerous than the Americana countries.

How can I convince my family to want to go to Southern Florida?
                Last edited by Markoslav; December 22, 2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Just because you can doesn't make it right. I've been through parts of the former USSR, and I certainly wouldn't want a 13 year old traveling through there alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Markoslav View Post
                    That's not what I'm saying though. I'm asking how I can convince them to go with me. That's my entire question, just how can I convince them. For example, how would you convince your family to go to somewhere you want to go? Self-sufficiency was used as an argument to tell the viewers, those reading this that the ability to actually be there, accomodation, etc is not what I'm looking for. I'm asking how I can convince.

How can I convince my family to want to go to Southern Florida?
                    OK, that's better, your previous posts showed nothing, other than you being a somewhat immature, pretentious little shit.

You need to provide better info here, like can your parents actually afford a family vacation to south Florida (I'm not being mean, it's a very legitimate question)? The only way you can convince them is totally coming clean about your relationship, and if you guys normally take family vacations, asking if Florida could possibly be considered for the next one. I have a daughter who's now 24, had she approached me very reasonably, calmly and maturely at your age, I would have considered her request. Does everyone in your family have passports? I'm not sure about Canada, but here in the US, it would not be cheap for a family to get them.

You can only convince them to go if it's financially feasible, otherwise there's no way they'll do this for you. There's almost no parent who would, just because their teenager wants to meet his girlfriend from the internet (that's not mean either, it's a realistic parental point of view). All you can do is to start by having the discussion, see if they're willing to compromise on a vacation. There's a lot to do in Florida, so if they like vacations anyway, that part isn't a hard sell. If they can't pull it off comfortably, forget it, there's nothing else to be done, get a job and save until you're able to go on your own.
                    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                      OK, that's better, your previous posts showed nothing, other than you being a somewhat immature, pretentious little shit.

You need to provide better info here, like can your parents actually afford a family vacation to south Florida (I'm not being mean, it's a very legitimate question)? The only way you can convince them is totally coming clean about your relationship, and if you guys normally take family vacations, asking if Florida could possibly be considered for the next one. I have a daughter who's now 24, had she approached me very reasonably, calmly and maturely at your age, I would have considered her request. Does everyone in your family have passports? I'm not sure about Canada, but here in the US, it would not be cheap for a family to get them.

You can only convince them to go if it's financially feasible, otherwise there's no way they'll do this for you. There's almost no parent who would, just because their teenager wants to meet his girlfriend from the internet (that's not mean either, it's a realistic parental point of view). All you can do is to start by having the discussion, see if they're willing to compromise on a vacation. There's a lot to do in Florida, so if they like vacations anyway, that part isn't a hard sell. If they can't pull it off comfortably, forget it, there's nothing else to be done, get a job and save until you're able to go on your own.
                      Agreed.

Comment

Oh! And I forgot too add...Don't be offended that you were thought to be female, something like 80% of this forum is, so yeah, it was assumed.
                        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post

Yeah, I realized I was being a smart ass. Yeah my parents can afford family vacation. We take a vacation to a remote beach every year in August, so I'm guessing that's a frequent vacation. My mother and my father have passports, my brother and I don't. In Canada passport's are not so cheap, I think. Sweet, thanks for the advice, I like that post. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Markoslav View Post
                            Yeah, I realized I was being a smart ass. Yeah my parents can afford family vacation. We take a vacation to a remote beach every year in August, so I'm guessing that's a frequent vacation. My mother and my father have passports, my brother and I don't. In Canada passport's are not so cheap, I think. Sweet, thanks for the advice, I like that post. Thanks for your time.
                            Passport are around 80$ in Canada. That's cheap.

Comment

Working...
                            X