Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making the moving and going to college

So I'm new here
    I am 25 (almost 26, my bf is 36) I live in Florida and right now I'm in college for Medical Assisting.
    After I finish, I'm thinking about moving in with my boyfriend of 3 years.
    He lives almost 900 miles away in Texas.
    He says I can move there as an out of state college student. I am thinking of stay 2 years.
    But if I stay 2 years for school, I will probably want to stay permanently.
    My boyfriend is wanting to buy a house soon.

I am a transplant patient, so I have many doctor appointments and every 6 months I have a check up on my heart in South Florida.

So many things to think about... Should I take all of my stuff or just half?
    What about all my doctor appointments?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this and has any advice. Thanks

~Sarah
    Last edited by Dove87; December 27, 2012, 03:08 AM.

well 1st off, you should find out how much tuition would cost you as an out of state student, usually the cost is pretty hefty compared to an in-state student. In terms of your doctor situation, is there a way for your to transfer your file over to a doctor in Texas if you do move there? Seems pretty costly to have to go back and forth every 6 months for appointments AND pay out of state tuition for your education. And wouldn't it be more beneficial and safer, so to speak, to have a doctor near where you'll reside? In case anything comes out at least you don't have to travel 900 miles just to get to your original doctor.

Comment

That's a tricky one. Normally I'd say to go for it, to make the move and take a chance, but the fact that you're a transplant patient throws a monkey wrench into the equation. Texas has some world class hospitals (particularly in Houston if you'll be near there), so it's a possibility that you could find another doctor. Be sure to put your health FIRST in this situation. You need to make sure that you're doing the right thing for yourself and your health by making a move. If it isn't encouraged by your medical team, I wouldn't do it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am nearly 3 years post heart transplant. There is a great transplant center in Houston.
        I'm visiting right now, so I know I can get my meds here, and my bloodwork done.
        I have other doctors back home.. most important one is my gynecologist.
        I already know that my transplant center doesn't like people to switch centers.
        But a friend of mine was going to the same center as me and she recently moved to another state and switched centers.

Comment

Working...
        X