Thinking about going to college in England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about going to college in England

Well, since my SO lives there it's pretty convenient since I'll have a place to stay, but also an amazing opportunity - does anyone have some advice or tips?

I'll be 20 by the time I get there since I'm doing a year of college here, in Canada.

Appreciate any advice on visas or things like that x

I can't even begin to think how I am going to break this idea to my parents
    Last edited by GlitteryCake; December 28, 2012, 03:04 PM.

Before diving into something like this, do a lot of research about the school, the finances (tuition money and maybe you want to help your SO paying for stuff while you are staying there etc etc) and indeed, the visas. I believe that there is a lot of information about that subject in these forums.
    First of all, it's important that you are sure about the whole thing
    You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness

Comment

*waves* Canada-UK LDR here too Definitely do your research like Mellow suggested. International tuition fees can be a killer so look into the possibilities of a study abroad program through your uni/college. You'll be able to spend a semester or a year there and test it out to see how you like living there
      “The ties that binds us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply… meant to be.” - Grey’s Anatomy

>Little Box<

Comment

Originally posted by commasplice View Post
        *waves* Canada-UK LDR here too Definitely do your research like Mellow suggested. International tuition fees can be a killer so look into the possibilities of a study abroad program through your uni/college. You'll be able to spend a semester or a year there and test it out to see how you like living there
        Hello fellow Canada-UK LDR! Thank you very much for the advice! When you say study abroad do you mean distant education from my college in Canada? It's a good idea, but I guess I'll have to do more research. Thanks, again!

Comment

Originally posted by GlitteryCake View Post
          Hello fellow Canada-UK LDR! Thank you very much for the advice! When you say study abroad do you mean distant education from my college in Canada? It's a good idea, but I guess I'll have to do more research. Thanks, again!
          Some colleges have programs where they send you abroad to another country for a quarter/semester or year to study. You would do coursework in England that's compatible with what degree you're pursuing in Canada and would receive credit towards your Canadian degree. All the logistics (visas, school paperwork, etc.) would be handled via your college, and I believe all the fees are covered except for the cost of the abroad program and air fare. It's usually a lot cheaper to study abroad than it is to pay international tuition, and it's probably an easier route for you to consider. The idea is that students who study abroad allow others from other countries to come study at your campus for the time that you're gone. It's similar to an exchange program except you have a vast number of programs and countries to choose from and would be living on campus (unless you wanted to live off-campus, but the cost for that is not covered by your school) as opposed to with a host family.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiedPiper View Post
            Some colleges have programs where they send you abroad to another country for a quarter/semester or year to study. You would do coursework in England that's compatible with what degree you're pursuing in Canada and would receive credit towards your Canadian degree. All the logistics (visas, school paperwork, etc.) would be handled via your college, and I believe all the fees are covered except for the cost of the abroad program and air fare. It's usually a lot cheaper to study abroad than it is to pay international tuition, and it's probably an easier route for you to consider. The idea is that students who study abroad allow others from other countries to come study at your campus for the time that you're gone. It's similar to an exchange program except you have a vast number of programs and countries to choose from and would be living on campus (unless you wanted to live off-campus, but the cost for that is not covered by your school) as opposed to with a host family.
            I was going to suggest the same thing.

International tuition fees in the UK are VERY expensive and you also need x amount of pounds in a bank account to prove that you have sufficient funds to sustain yourself while you are in the UK to get the student visa.

Doing a semester (or two) abroad is going to be your easiest option. You pay your tuition fees to your university in the USA and you aren't committed to the UK.

I'm currently applying to go on exchange to Sweden and my tuition fees will be paid for as usual to my Australian university. I do need to pay for airfares, travel insurance, visas and living expenses in Sweden but I'm also eligible for grants/scholarships from my university and the government. I presume that you would be eligible for similar grants and scholarships from the Canadian government.

Comment

I think studying in the UK is a wonderful opportunity! I'd either look into a exchange agreement program or doing distant ed courses with your university! I'm currently and au pair and I'm taking distant education courses with my university as well as finishing my thesis from abroad. It was a "simple" process and much cheaper than the almost 20k it would cost for a year in London.

Comment

Working...
              X