Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to being apart...Tips?

Hey All,

Alright so my SO left yesterday to go back home...Now starts the 4 months apart...Any tips on how to stay motivated and happy? I'm still feeling all down and just....depressed. I guess what I really need is support from those that really understand what being in an LDR is like.
    sigpic
    02/21/09 - The day I really started living and breathing!

Your relationship sounds a lot like mine. We too go 4-6 months between visits, and it's always him that visits me because his family is here, this is his hometown. I'm always sad when he leaves; he left a week ago and this time I was unable to take him to the airport, so the night before he flew out was the last time I got to see him. I cried in his arms for what seemed like forever, which is something I never do, I'm always able to hold it together until I get into the car. Since he left I've been feeling kind of "blah". It's back to my normal routine, work and school. I completely understand what you're feeling. My suggestion would be to talk to him about it, let your feelings out, and then try your best to be happy and have fun. Go out with some friends, busy yourself with work or a hobby. The more you focus on the fact that "I don't get to see him until 4 months from now", the more depressed you will be. Keep your focus on the bright side, think of every day as one day closer to reuniting with him. Keep communication open always. My boyfriend and I text constantly, and that helps so much because even though he's thousands of miles away, he's right there, I can be in constant contact with him no matter what.

Another suggestion, try to visit the forum every day. I get so much support from the friends I've made through this site and it helps so much! I also enjoy replying to other people's posts, it helps to know that I could be helping someone else get through it. LDRs are hard, but we have a huge community of people that all know what each other is feeling and going through. Take advantage of that! I'm always a quick PM away if you ever need to talk about stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by rach92g View Post
      Another suggestion, try to visit the forum every day. I get so much support from the friends I've made through this site and it helps so much! I also enjoy replying to other people's posts, it helps to know that I could be helping someone else get through it. LDRs are hard, but we have a huge community of people that all know what each other is feeling and going through. Take advantage of that! I'm always a quick PM away if you ever need to talk about stuff!
      yeah this forum is so great and helps me so much as well! also i try mastering my art skills,while being apart, so i suggest you find some new hobby.dancing or yoga or martial arts will do hang out with friends a lot and just keep occupied and happy

Comment

Me and my SO are having 3 months apart. Its getting close to when he comes though, and it fwent by semi fast. I think having small countdowns helps pass time up. Like when you plan some events at the end of the week. Then you have that to look forward to, a week isn't that long, but in a month thats 1/4 so when that event comes, its a week closer! Also sending things to my SO and him sending things to me helps make time pass by fast! Because it usually takes a few days to a week, and its exciting waiting for it to come! Because its from your loved one, it's better then christmas lol Even if its just a love letter or something small, it helps speed up time. Skype dates help, we used to have a specific day a week where its "our" day. So that gives you something to look forward to as well, if your not able to talk daily. And then, this forum helps. For me I use it to vent, and just let out what's on my mind, it helps me when im stressing over nothing, and to get to read about others going through similar situations is nice.
        Long distance is hard, its hardest when you were just with your SO and to have to go back being apart. Keep busy, make time to treat yourself. Stay strong!
        I love you Nathan <3
        sigpic
        5/25/09 <3

Comment

i started a journal of sorts. just a little diary where i'd pen my thoughts and feelings but each time, i'd end the entry with a happy thought about my SO and/or our relationship. focusing on the bright side and/or positive things about us.
          i'd also suggest spending as much time as possible with family or friends. and you could also take up a new hobby, something fun or constructive, whatever strikes your fancy, depending on the kind of things you enjoy

Comment

Thanks all!!! Just reading this is making me feel 10X better! I'm starting my school internship on Tuesday so I'm hoping being there 4X a week + my two jobs will help my head busy. Having this forum is like an amazing Christmas present. I'm very thankful for all the tips!!
            sigpic
            02/21/09 - The day I really started living and breathing!

Comment

Working...
            X