My Parents... :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Parents... :(

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I hope I can still get some replies. And some help.
    Basically, I've been in my LDR for (on Monday) a year, with no end in sight. And, my parents are starting to think it's serious enough for marriage. They're constantly telling me that he isn't the person I should get married to and what not. I hear it from my whole family. It's gotten to a point where I've taken my relationship status off my facebook. I've sat down with them and said, 'listen, I'm only eighteen. I'm not getting married. I've still gotta finish high school and college and all that. Please, leave me alone about it.' And yet, they still badger me about it.
    At this point, even though he's getting his live on track and proving that he will be able to provide for me as a husband, and he's done all these things to help me make my parents happy (or at least shut the heck up), they've pretty much banned me from seeing him.
    What am I supposed to do??
    I really don't want to live at home any more, but at the same time, I can't bring myself to hurt my mother like that. My SO and I split for about a day because I couldn't take the pressure from both ends. But we're back together and everything is good as far as my relationship goes.
    I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone else had this problem or is it just me? And if you did, how do I deal with it?
    Help...

I'm on the same boat as you. To be honest, the more you try to please both sides the more you get hurt. So don't do it. Decide what exactly you want to do with your life, and, well, do it. Granted, it may be challenging but try to become independent financially (and possibly somewhat detached from your parents in that respect...) and be with the person you love. I am not saying that you should ignore the reality, in fact the opposite. PM me if you want to talk to someone in a similar situation

Comment

i never experienced anything like that,so i will just try advising as i can...what if you start working and what will your family think of it? why would your moving out hurt them?i understand how stressfull it may be for you.but you also have to think of yourself.not being selfish,but just see,its your future life and you have all the rights to be happy living it.try to balance between respect to your family and being firm and independent.good luck!

Comment

Oh my god, you're only 18, still in high school and your parents are badgering you about marriage?? I'm sorry hun, but that's just not normal. I know you don't want to hurt your mom, but you really might have to tell her one more time that you are not even remotely thinking marriage at this point, and if they continue to pursue this, then you will move out. At 18, you have the right to pick your own boyfriend, and see him if you wish, but as long as you live there, you do have to respect their rules, so you have to find a balance between the two.

I take it your parents have good reason for not liking your boyfriend, so all you can do is be patient and continue to show them that he's trying to change. It might take a while, and you have to prepare for that. If that doesn't work, and they keep pressuring you, then you may need to consider moving out. On the other hand, have you really thought about why they don't like him, and if perhaps they don't have a point?
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I agree with Moon.

Also, you will move out of your parents house eventually and your mother will just have to deal with it. Children grow up, they become adults, and they have their own life. She will probably still be doing the same things once you move out because some parents just don't realize that they can't control their children forever and they have to let go (not completely, but you will have your own life that your parents will have to deal with even if they don't accept it ) at some point.
          "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
          This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
          Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

Working...
          X