nightmare flight to USA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nightmare flight to USA!

This doesn't really have much to do with an LDR but it does relate to my surprise visit to my hubby in LA (CA). I mentioned it in the countdown thread i was supposed to arrive in LAX on friday 8th feb and take the shuttle buss and train to our apartment and well surprise him. This did not happen in the end : (

My united airlines flight from LHR to LAX had to make an emergency landing in Ireland! The cockpit started smoking and something had caught on fire while we were making our cross over the Atlantic. The pilot very calmly said over the PA system "yeah cockpit is smoking so you may notice that we've just made a U turn to Shannon, Ireland. Oh and do not worry about the fuel that is being ejected, we are not comfortable making an emergency landing with this much fuel" - so yeah ball of fire if we landed bad >.< Shannon isnt an international airport (well it does have international flights but it's a very small and not very well equipped airport) so they had to fly over engineers with parts to fix the plane.

Next day we were told aircraft is fixed so we all boarded. While we were taxiing the plane kept on stopping....apparently the computers went haywire again! They said they'lll fix it....about 5hrs later we were told it was cancelled again as they werent happy with flying the plane anymore. By this point i had to call the hubby and tell him what was happening. His best friend already knew as so he actually told him but hubby couldn't get hold of me. My poor hubby was worried sick.

Feb 10th they flew in another aircraft from LHR and we finally made it to our destination (i got upgraded to business class! lol). Oh and to make things even more exciting we had a medical emergency on the plane and they asked for a doctor over the PA. We had no doctors! However i piped up that im a nurse lol the passenger was ok but i was highly intoxicated so i basically didnt sit in business and just sat with the passenger. They told me that if i wasnt happy with the passengers health they'll make another emergency landing. I was so we carried on. Other passengers were saying that they were glad that i was happy cause they couldn't take another emergency landing but i honestly wouldn't have said i was happy until i was. Im not sure im all that happy that i was put in that position considering i was drunk. I had to sober up super quick and just sat with her. Turns out she was dehydrated, stressed and well drunk. Hence the vomit.

My surprise visit to the hubby was totally ruined, i now only have 6 days with him but i met some wonderful wonderful people on the flight and im alive : ) I was extremely frustrated and annoyed but all in all it was ok. But seriously you could make a movie on the whole nightmare flight and how total strangers bonded.

Shit happens sometimes, better to be delayed then shooting into the ocean on a fireball! Glad you made it there safely, enjoy the days you have!

Comment

Gosh, what a story! I'm glad you're safe and that you're together now after all, even though it still kind of sucks that caused such a delay... I had a similar story, but on the day we were going to close the distance. So I freaked out and had never really flown that far before so it was scary. Had to sleep in a hotel in Iceland with two girls I didn't know because they didn't have enough rooms, but really bonded with them over the whole experience! Being safe after all is the most important Have a great rest of your not-so-surprise-visit!

Comment

Holy crap, that's bad! My last flight out of LHR had a fuel leak, fortunately they found it before we took off. Something about LHR breaks planes, I swear
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow! At least you have a nice story to tell people.

Comment

Jeez! Glad you're ok!

Comment

O.O I think even I would have needed to get drunk after that.

Airplane fears enacted.

Comment

Well, at least you have a great story to tell people!! Glad you made it there safely

Comment

Have a drink or something. Here..., have some wine.

Comment

I'm kind of terrified of flying as it is, I think if I'd been caught up in a journey like that I'd have needed to do some serious breathing into a paper bag! I'm glad you're okay though, enjoy what's left of your time over there

Comment

Scary!!! I'm so glad you made it alright!

I've been on a plane twice when someone has yelled "IS THERE A DOCTOR ON THE PLANE?" The first time was sooo stupid this girl's stomach just started hurting and her parents freaked out. Then they got to get off the plane first AND got a wheelchair to cut the line at immigration. I need to try that trick...

Comment

Wow crazy story. I just flew to the states a couple of days ago so I'm grateful I was fine

Comment

I'm so glad you're okay!! What a crazy experience to go through!
                          "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

Oh geez I'd have lost my mind!! Good thing you're safe and made it though

Met online: 1/30/11
                            Met in person: 5/30/12
                            Second visit: 9/12/12
                            Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dezface View Post
                              Oh geez I'd have lost my mind!! Good thing you're safe and made it though
                              This exactly... i would have lost my mind

Comment

Working...
                              X