Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failing Relationship - Repairable or Doomed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failing Relationship - Repairable or Doomed?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, and I hate for it to be titled like this. Given that I don't personally know anyone who has been involved in a long distance relationship, nor seen one successfully through, I thought it would be best to ask others who might have some insight. Our relationship has gone south, and while I love her and have been working at identifying and trying to resolve the issues that are causing this, I don't feel that my partner is fully understanding that the road we are currently on will be toxic for both of us. Hopefully some of you kind folks can give some advice, and I understand that I'm only able to fully give my side of the story, but will try to be as honest and forthcoming as possible.

So, we met on a Sunday night, May 15, 2011. Neither of us was expecting anything, but we've spoken about it and we did both feel that there was something there early on. We talked and just carried on for a while, quite some while. We were going to exchange gifts that Christmas, and she made me an afghan. I've never used it, except in her company and with her, because I don't want to ruin it. It is special to me. I made a big mistake and lost her gift. I had gone out and spent my bottom dollar to get what I could afford at the time for her for Christmas along with a card. I've still not found them to this day, and I have been through everything I own since then. I did write her a letter and send it, and to this day I feel bad about that shortcoming on my part.

Fast forward a bit, and I had noticed that she was acting strangely, and asked if I was seeing someone. Admittedly, I was taking cues from her behavior and had become a bit distant because I thought that she was unhappy with the state of things and wanted an ending to hurt less. In this time she started dating someone else, and says that she didn't realize she was dating him. I recall her talking about hanging out with a friend, and spending more time with them lately. I also recall vividly sending a text to see what she was up to, just trying to talk and being told that she was at a friend's place drinking some wine on the couch. She had sex with him that night, after telling me this. This was in February 2012. I was made aware of this only after asking, jokingly, when the last time she went on a date was in November of 2012, but I will come back to this after covering the intermediate time.

Our relationship picked back up around June, and we were progressing well. I knew beyond a doubt that I loved her by now, though I had been thinking it for quite some time. As things were moving along we were planning to meet, for the first time, we were asking each other silly questions, and I decided to ask when the last time she went on a date was. (Yes, not much detail to cover in the intermediate.) This is where I found out that she had been seeing someone, and I have been greeted with three different excuses regarding this. I was very hurt, but in knowing that I love her, and after we talked about this until 5 in the morning, decided to continue in this relationship. The three excuses have been, "I didn't know we were dating," "I was drunk," and "I wasn't sure about us so I just decided to go ahead with what was in front of me." This was the point where I felt that my trust had been betrayed, and obviously I lost a lot of trust in her at this point. I was honest with her that I was going to act differently, and that trust would need to be earned back. Perhaps I am wrong in this, but that is simply how I felt, and still feel. I have been trying to move past this, but I will explain the hangups that aren't allowing me to as I continue.

Our first meeting was good, we spent a lot of time doing fun things, went out, checked out an art museum, we spent 5 days together. After this is when the trouble started. I've been noticing contradictions coming up when asking questions to her. She has developed a habit of saying that she is doing something, and later saying that she didn't do it. When we make plans for "long distance dates," there have been multiple occurrences of her canceling due to deciding on the day of that she is going to do something else or go out for drinks with a friend after I have cleared my night to spend time with her. These things happen, yes, but the straw that broke the camel's back for me was when she proposed a date and then canceled on me to go out and "chaperon" some her work staff at a happy hour with a recently terminated co-worker. I was informed of this just a couple hours before, and again had cleared my night to be able to spend time with her. I feel that, given these things that something is being withheld and that there is not a mutual respect here.

We have also been having any quality time or communication far less, and often the only times she is willing to actually have a conversation are dominated by her saying that she is sleepy and at the tail end of the day. I've expressed that I feel that it is disrespectful to cancel things and to not try to spend some quality time, but that is met only with chastisement for 'criticizing' her, and continued actions that aren't that of a lover. I've been trying to talk to her about the problems that our relationship is experiencing, but she dismisses it with "I'm trying and I love you and I don't mean to do that," while continuing to do these things. I'm worried about her accountability in this relationship at this point, and have been feeling hurt and depressed in this for the past few weeks.

Is it possible to repair a failing relationship when only one party is willing to face facts and try to see that the needs of the other are met? I truly love her, but I can't continue with a relationship that has made me feel physically ill and causes me to suffer daily. She has decided that she wants to pursue a PhD, which will put her paying on student loans into her mid 50s and result in no appreciable income gain due to field, and I know that this will cause there to be even less time and more debt that she would bring into any future that we might have together (currently sitting over $100k in student loans alone.) I apologize if this is turning more into a venting session, but these are concerns that I have that have been dismissed without any due consideration or intelligent discussion. Is this relationship as toxic as I suspect? Is this repairable? Did I leave out something that needs to be known?

I love her, but I'm starting to doubt that she is capable of being part of a healthy relationship and respecting a partner.

Any ideas?

Anything short of child molestation can be worked out if both of you are willing to try. From your post though, it seems "trying" isn't even in her vocabulary. I'm a bit confused by the language of your post (or maybe I'm in denial), so I'm not sure if I read this right. Did you say she's dated two different people since you two got together? @_@ Dude, forget the betrayal and the hurt, she can infect you with something even if she uses protection. I normally want to have both sides before I jump to conclusions, but it's too late. I don't think she sees you as her boyfriend, you're nothing more than something to have on the side when she has nothing else to do. You need to run before something irreversible happens, like child or HIV.

By the way, I refuse to believe that someone can "accidentally" date like she said. One accidental date, it can happen due to miss-communication. An ongoing relationship though? Even I wasn't that out of it at the height of my drug addiction, and sometimes I didn't even know what state I was in @_@.

Comment

Just one that I have been made aware of. I'm skeptical at best.

I feel that I can honestly say that I was more mature at twelve years old than she is right now.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryWinkler View Post
        I feel that I can honestly say that I was more mature at twelve years old than she is right now.
        To be completely honest, I felt the same way while reading your post and I don't even know her. I think she's not ready for any healthy relationship right now, never mind a LDR. Cut your losses while you can, you sound far too nice to deserve everything she's doing to you. :/

Comment

I appreciate you folks responding. Kindness of strangers and all that, actually feels good to know that decent people exist in the world still. I posted this in a few places to try to get as many unbiased, LDR experienced, parties responding as I could to see what a general consensus is. I'm kind of a goofball, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Looks like my doubts are probably as well founded as I believe them to be, but would still appreciate any input from anyone that cares to chime in.

Thank you

Comment

None of her behaviour is saying "I'm working to make this relationship happen". Her actions at the moment are very self-invovled, for example, her dating other people, her choosing to blow you off numerous times when you had plans, pursuing a PhD. (I don't think pursing a PhD is bad, I just think that it's a decision she's made only considering herself.)

The thing that really gets me is that you seem wayyy more invested in this relationship than she is. Have you properly talked about the expectations from your relationship? I only say this because the dating situations happened before you met - and unless you both agreed to be 100% exclusive before meeting, she might not have interpreted dating other people as cheating necessarily. Although, the fact that she was back-peddling and making excuses confuses me.

On top of that, you said "she wants to pursue a PhD, which will put her paying on student loans into her mid 50s...more debt that she would bring into any future that we might have together". Because education is such a personal, do it for yourself thing, I find it difficult to believe that she's thinking about a real future with you whilst she's making the decision to do the PhD. If she was in a place where building a future with you was what she wanted, she would be considering the things you are as well. But the truth is, it doesn't sound like she is.

In terms of making plans with you and cancelling on you - if it's happening regularly, it's just a bit disrespectful really. And you say you've talked to her about it, and she carries on doing it? Like I said, she just seems very self-involved at the moment.

I think that there's a lot of miscommunication between you and her here. I think you need to sit down with her and have a proper conversation about your expectations out of this relationship are. Unfortunately, I think yours are higher than hers, and by the sounds of it, she can't commit to the kind of relationship that you want. Even if she ends up saying to you "I'm sorry, I'll change", I'd be skeptical if I were you. It'll be apparent if she's actually trying very quickly.

Comment

I agree with Biddly.

It sounds to me as though she wants to date. She might have feelings for you, she might like you, but it really does sound to me like she wants to date and has not internalized the concept of what it would mean to have a serious, committed LDR. It sounds as though you two are going ahead with this and she's on page 2 while you're already on page 254. I would suggest doing what Biddly said, having a conversation about your expectations for the relationship, but I also would think carefully about what she says; the fact she's lied and back-peddled suggests to me that she might not be the sort to be 100% about her expectations, and she might not even know what her expectations even are! In my opinion a relationship can't work with someone who's years behind you in maturity, especially when they're frivolous with your feelings and more intent on dating around than committing, but if you want that serious relationship, then you two both need to talk about your expectations and see where there's any - if there's any - overlap.

Comment

Working...
              X