SO moving away - starting a LDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO moving away - starting a LDR

So after a year and a half of being together my SO is moving away for work and I cant go due to my study commitments....
    Neither of us have ever been in a LDR before and im starting to freak out... He leaves in 3 days and is going to be 9 hours drive away with no phone reception or internet... We currrently live a 10 minute walk from each other and see each other every, call and txt when we are not together.

I dont know what to expect or how to deal with it all

take it day by day, we all do
    write letters if there is no internet exchange shirts with each other sent on them that helps a bit when you feel lonely

Comment

Well, you've come to the right place

An LDR can be really hard at first, but you get used to it. The absolute best advice I can give you is to keep busy, and live your life. You'll be lonely and sad, especially in the beginning, but attitude is everything. If you're determined to make it work, and can be flexible without taking everything too seriously, you'll be alright. Take a good look at this forum, and it's many, many threads about your same situation, there's a ton of help, support and resources here. Remember that an LDR is just like any other relationship, it has its own challenges, sure, but making it work is determined by the people in it, not necessarily the distance. Good luck.
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Claire-Louise View Post
        So after a year and a half of being together my SO is moving away for work and I cant go due to my study commitments....
        Neither of us have ever been in a LDR before and im starting to freak out... He leaves in 3 days and is going to be 9 hours drive away with no phone reception or internet... We currrently live a 10 minute walk from each other and see each other every, call and txt when we are not together.

I dont know what to expect or how to deal with it all

I agree with the above posted, take it day by day. Try to write letters, send each other little gifts, but make sure that you just keep living your life. It will be hard, but you have support here.
        "I love the stars and the moon because I know that I'm always sitting under the exact same ones as you"

Comment

Thanks guys he left this morning and I was a mess .... Worse then his mum haha
          He has taken our puppy with him so now I feel like not only am I missing him but also like my child is gone ... I have spent the morning cleaning my house as I'm going back to live with mum and dad to try and save some money for visits, but every time I turn arround I find something of his and it reminds me that he won't be home for dinner hopefully once he gets settled in to his new job we can start a new routine but now I just feel like half of me is missing

Comment

Working...
          X