This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I f*ed up... Big time...

My boyfriend and I haven't seen each other in almost four months. We were going to see each other for Thanksgiving but I fell and had to get surgery.

Tonight, he asked if it would be ok to buy me the tickets to see him for the 16th to 27th of this month.
    I immediately said yes because I am really excited to see him.

Unfortunately, I did not remember my dad's birthday is on the 24th. I also did not remember my friend's birthday on the 17th and we were planning to go out since she is alone in this city.

They still don't know anything about it and I don't know what to do!
    I have so many mixed emotions right now... I'm a bad daughter and friend but I'm happy I'll get to see my love...

I hate to feel this way.

Go out with one of them the day before you leave and the other the day after you get back. Explain to them that the tickets were a gift and that you'll be thinking of them. Unless they are milestone birthdays it's not really a big deal. I'm sure they will understand, it's been four months after all
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Well if he didn't buy the tickets yet, then definitely talk to him about the situation and see if you guys can work around it, it is just an honest mistake, we all forget about things like that especially when we get excited.

Comment

I agree to maybe try talking to the boyfriend first... or could you maybe kill two birds with one stone and get him to come to you? That way you still get to see him plus your friend and your dad
        ~Shaunna~

*Distance isn't an obstacle when it comes to love, but rather a great reminder on just how strong true love can be*

We're engaged 2014 - save $$, 2015 - get married, 2016 - make the big move!

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

Unfortunately he can't come to L.A due to work, that's why he bought the tickets for me to see him. We will only see each other after he comes home from work but that's better than nothing. I was getting sick of just texting and Skype vidcalls.

I think my dad will understand but my friend... She tends to resent people. I don't know when I'll tell her. Think I'm more scared to tell her than to tell my dad.

Comment

I think you should see your dad and friend beforehand and just go. It's a birthday not a wedding or life commitment.

Comment

I've missed birthdays because I've been visiting my SO... *waves guiltily*

Most people are reasonably understanding about it. I think if you do what Zephii says - make it up to your dad and your friend before you go or when you get back - it should be ok. And if it's not, they're trying to set their birthday higher on your priority list than your relationship - and although I'd sort of get it from a family member, that's not fair from a friend.

Just talk to your friend calmly about it. And do it soon. The sooner you tell her, the quicker she can make her plans to accommodate the fact that you won't be there. And although she'll be annoyed with you, the longer she has to get used to the idea the easier it'll be for you and her when you get back from your trip.

Comment

I've missed birthdays and stuff too because i went to see my man... xD

I tend to tell ahead of time and spend time with them before i go or after i get back.

I have a family member that is similar to your friend, she resents me for not making her birthday (its on christmas day!) and she still hasnt forgiven me (I missed her birthday in 2011). Way i see it i have my own life too. I tried to make it up to her but she is still annoyed. Oh well. I've gotten over feeling guilty..

Comment

I too have missed birthdays and I'll keep missing them, but I have no reason to feel guilty over that. If for whatever reason someone wouldn't want to work with me to find another day for me to celebrate them I figure they don't want me there anyhow and/or they're not worth feeling guilty over. It's not that a big misstake, I'm seeing my SO on my brothers birthday as well as my best friend's, but my brother will probably hardly notice I'm gone (last time I went he noticed I was going after I had packed my bags and left them by the door for the following morning, even if my trip had been brought up numerous times :P ) and my friend probably don't really care if I come out with her or not, seeing as I hate dancing which she'll want to do...
                  Point is, it's not that bad to celebrate a little early or late or even at all, it's not unlikely you'll have another shot to be out on the day next year.
                  We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

I told my friend about it and also assured her I was going to make it up to her. She acted like she didn't care which is a sign she actually cares.
                    Oh well, I can't please everyone.

I'm telling my dad tonight, hopefully he'll understand.

Comment

Talked to dad, he understood. Now I'm excited to see ,my love!

Comment

Working...
                      X