Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian-American LDRS?

There seems to be quite a few of us. (:
    I'm American born, and my dad was in the military so I've lived quite a few places, including over seas. My SO is Canadian born, and has lived and visited only in Canada.
    We met via Stickam, and haven't met in person yet but I'm going up there after I graduate this upcoming May.

What's your favorite thing about your American/Canadian SO? What was crossing the border like for you [if you've gone yet]? When are you planning on going if you haven't yet? What's the funniest/weirdest difference you've experienced? [like for me it's the whole Canadian Smarties-vs-American Smarties (the candy) Seriously, why do they get chocolate smarties! xD]

Whoa, they have chocolate smarties? lol Well I live on the east coast of the US and he lives on the west coast of Canada, woot. It's funny, I never really paid much attention to Canada before I met him. Him and his friends educated me :P

What's your favorite thing about your American/Canadian SO?
    Well, it's hard to pick only one favorite thing. But my one favorite thing about him being Canadian is when he spells out "cheque". The first time he typed that I was like "..what did you say" "I'll give you a rain cheque." It seems funny when he says it, heh.

What was crossing the border like for you?
    Yeah, I haven't gone yet, mother has trusting issues. If she can't trust Canadians, she can't trust anyone.

When are you planning on going if you haven't yet?
    Next summer, my bf says he wants me up there for a month. Can do!

What's the funniest/weirdest difference you've experienced?
    I told my SO that if I move to Canada to live with him, we are going to have to go to the States every year and get Girl Scout cookies. Up there they have something similar called girl guides. But it's weird cause they sell the cookies twice a year, in the fall and in the spring I think, but each time they only have like...two flavors. Like the fall is the mint cookie time. I don't know, I just want my Girl Scout cookies, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Puramu View Post
      Whoa, they have chocolate smarties? lol Well I live on the east coast of the US and he lives on the west coast of Canada, woot. It's funny, I never really paid much attention to Canada before I met him. Him and his friends educated me :P

Well, it's hard to pick only one favorite thing. But my one favorite thing about him being Canadian is when he spells out "cheque". The first time he typed that I was like "..what did you say" "I'll give you a rain cheque." It seems funny when he says it, heh.

Yeah, I haven't gone yet, mother has trusting issues. If she can't trust Canadians, she can't trust anyone.

Next summer, my bf says he wants me up there for a month. Can do!

I told my SO that if I move to Canada to live with him, we are going to have to go to the States every year and get Girl Scout cookies. Up there they have something similar called girl guides. But it's weird cause they sell the cookies twice a year, in the fall and in the spring I think, but each time they only have like...two flavors. Like the fall is the mint cookie time. I don't know, I just want my Girl Scout cookies, haha.
      Wow I didn't know that about the girl scouts thing, and I'm a girl scout in the US! xD [my moms a troup leader, and it looks good on college apps hahaha]
      And yeah, ask your SO about rockets and smarties. xD He can probably explain better then I can.

Comment

Haven't crossed the border (used to cross every weekend when I lived in Michigan back before the passport mess and before Sean) I get a kick out of how he puts a u in every word almost when he types. Wierdest difference hmm would be me not knowing what a toque (sp?) was. I am now quite knowledgeable which is good since I'm immigrating in a little over 2 years.

Comment

I was in an American - Canadian LDR (i'm not anymore, but it may change when I go and visit him again at the end of August)

It doesn't count as he's from Chile, but living in Canada
          What was crossing the border like for you [if you've gone yet]?
          Crossing the boarder is really easy at both the boarder and the airport, just one thing to know when you do go is to know the address of where you are staying or the name of the place you are staying at because they will ask you that. Best thing to do is print out the address/name of the place or write it on a piece of paper.
          N/A
          The spelling of words, that's the one thing I have a hard time getting past and had a hard time getting past when I was in College because they spell words the british way. some examples: colour/color, centre/center, theatre/theater, favourite/favorite, labour/labor.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

What's your favorite thing about your Canadian SO?
            I don't think there is anything *Canadian* about him that stands out... but just in general, his good heart.

What was crossing the border like for you [if you've gone yet]?
            N/A

Mmm, that will be a long while, since Rane isn't allowed to leave the US or he can't get back in, until he has his greencard! That could be years away. It's a big unknown.

He says a couple words that made me o.O him... first was passtuh, instead of postah. And then just recently he was talking about the deckle on a truck. I am thinking, wth is a deckle. Is that like, some sort of paint pattern? Like a speckle? He kept talking about it, so finally I am like, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! Finally, I was able to grasp, it was a decal. Lol. We fought about that all night!
            I know the smarties thing upsets him, and also our lack of caramilks.
            Oh and for weird, it's just his super uber polite, almost creepy fake personality he gets in public. I am like, omg! Take it down a notch or 200! He says everyone is that way in Canada, they are just nice. I am like ... well, it's a lot more chill here haha. People are going to really not know how to take you if you come across like that at job interviews and such. :P
            Last edited by garnet; August 2, 2010, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
              He says a couple words that made me o.O him... first was passtuh, instead of postah. And then just recently he was talking about the deckle on a truck. I am thinking, wth is a deckle. Is that like, some sort of paint pattern? Like a speckle? He kept talking about it, so finally I am like, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! Finally, I was able to grasp, it was a decal. Lol. We fought about that all night!
              I know the smarties thing upsets him, and also our lack of caramilks.
              Oh and for weird, it's just his super uber polite, almost creepy fake personality he gets in public. I am like, omg! Take it down a notch or 200! He says everyone is that way in Canada, they are just nice. I am like ... well, it's a lot more chill here haha. People are going to really not know how to take you if you come across like that at job interviews and such. :P
              I'm seriously going to have my SO say "decal" next time he calls now. xD Just to see if he says that too.

Comment

What kind of smarties do you have?!?! I must ask him tonight.
                I'm from Ontario and my boyfriend lives in Nebraska. He makes fun of my accent all the time, including the pass-tuh thing. There are quite a few words where we pronounce the a differently. And he likes how I say process for some reason. Plus the 'aboot' thing. I definitely do NOT say aboot, but there is a slight difference in pronunciation. Usually when he gets me to repeat it the difference is gone :P He actually doesn't have much of an accent, which surprises me. Or at least I don't notice it all that much unless I hear him talking to his family or others over there. I guess he unconsciously tones it down with me.
                It's also kind of funny the social differences from my particular area to his. Like, there all his friends are married with kids and they all think he ought to be reproducing by now. Here no one blinks if you're 26 and single. None of my friends are married! Heck, only one of my cousins is even married, and some of them are nearing 30 quickly. And the only one who is married is a lesbian who met her wife in Japan and they're no where near being prepared to adopt or anything at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by HMA View Post
                  I'm from Ontario and my boyfriend lives in Nebraska. He makes fun of my accent all the time, including the pass-tuh thing. There are quite a few words where we pronounce the a differently. And he likes how I say process for some reason. Plus the 'aboot' thing. I definitely do NOT say aboot, but there is a slight difference in pronunciation. Usually when he gets me to repeat it the difference is gone :P He actually doesn't have much of an accent, which surprises me. Or at least I don't notice it all that much unless I hear him talking to his family or others over there. I guess he unconsciously tones it down with me.
                  It's also kind of funny the social differences from my particular area to his. Like, there all his friends are married with kids and they all think he ought to be reproducing by now. Here no one blinks if you're 26 and single. None of my friends are married! Heck, only one of my cousins is even married, and some of them are nearing 30 quickly. And the only one who is married is a lesbian who met her wife in Japan and they're no where near being prepared to adopt or anything at this point.
                  I forgot about the aboot thing, the only people I have ever heard say aboot are Newfies. I've also noticed about the marriage differences especially between Ontario and Utah (state i'm from). In Utah all of my friends are married and have kids, most of them have been married since they were 18 and are now 24-25 years old where as in Ontario all of my friends are single and 24-25 years old. Some of the differences are amazing.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

What's your favorite thing about my Canadian SO?
                    She has a french accent and shes very outgoing.

Its simple.. you just go right through customs with a card filled out making sure you didn't bring any fruits, veggies or animals with you.

I actually just got back to the US 2 days ago. I was in canada for two weeks.

Yes smarties is on my list. Also Ketchup chips! YUM =) I was in Quebec so Poutine was different for me. Its SOOOO good! hmmm... also cheese curds, any type of maple candy, beaver tails. I have a bag of smarties and ketchup chips right in front of me. heres a few pics LOL

Comment

Originally posted by HMA View Post
                      Haha, our smarties are like your rockets.
                      And my SO is also from Ontario and he thinks I'm the one with the cute accent. [I've moved around a lot so I've picked up on quite a few accents.] And has me repeat the most random words, like "accused".

Comment

Originally posted by shad0wxb0i View Post
                        Yes smarties is on my list. Also Ketchup chips! YUM =) I was in Quebec so Poutine was different for me. Its SOOOO good! hmmm... also cheese curds, any type of maple candy, beaver tails. I have a bag of smarties and ketchup chips right in front of me. heres a few pics LOL

Thank you for sharing the pictures! =D

Comment

my pleasure =)

Comment

I like the way we talk slightly different, and how we have different attitudes about things it's actually quite cool. Phrases like "Huh?" and "Eh?"
                            He's from Minnesota, US and I'm from Manitoba, Canada

He has crossed the boarder, and he said it was scary as hell, they ask so many questions and it is extremely intimidating. I have yet to cross the boarder, my parents have trust issues as well we're supposed to be crossing together.

Well I would like October, but I don't know if that is going to happen...parents are the only thing that stands in the way.

No Ketchup chips, and he asked if we had Chipotle and I thought he meant the sauce so I said yeah we do, and he asked can we go get some so i took him to the store, and showed him the sauce and he's like Um I meant the restaurant... I was completely embarrassed.

Comment

Working...
                            X