What gift did you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What gift did you take?

when you met your so for the first time did you take a gift with you? if so what did you take? I'm going to meet so for the first time in real life in a days time eeeeeek and I'm taking a few things but am looking for inspiration for something small but sweet that he can remember the trip with.

I tried to bring stuff I knew he wouldn't have there. I brought him Reese's peanut butter cups and a jar of peanut butter, as well as some maple syrup.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

He was coming to me, but I did bring a gift to the airport. I brought a little box and inside was the key to the apartment.

When I go to see him, I'm bringing all kinds of Canadian things for him and his family. For example, a bottle of real maple syrup, Hershey's cookies and cream bars and some maple cookies. Dunno if the bars are actually Canadian but he LOVED them.

Comment

When I met him for the first time... well I didn't get him anything too significant if that. I vaguely remember asking him or talking to him about wanting to get something but couldn't think of anything and he just said "you're my gift" and I just asked him now because we're talking now and he replied saying that I was his gift too. So I wouldn't worry about it. I vaguely remember getting his dad a gift and my mom wanted to get something too and I think we might have got something for both of them.. but I'm confusing these gifts on different occasions but some ideas of gifts my mom and I have given him and his dad have been: a canadian mug for his dad, Vancouver canucks keyrings, canadian pens, a Vancouver/Canada mini calendar/planner thing, and other things like that maybe. I have also given him many other things over the time but I think something he can't get there is a good idea!

Comment

I didn't get him a gift. I was extra ultra poor when he visited me for the first time. He, however, had flowers waiting for me in the hotel room I spent the night in before he came. He also brought me two pairs of earrings

Met online: 1/30/11
          Met in person: 5/30/12
          Second visit: 9/12/12
          Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

Nope, unless you count some of the ingredients for pumpkin pie, since he'd never had it before. I may have taken Dunkin' Donuts coffee and some Hershey's too, but I really don't remember, they could have been for different trips.
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

First time we met he came to visit me. He bought me a big soft slanket (and i still use it! i love it) a scarf and a pair of gloves. I kept telling him it's cold here (my central heating was broke too lol). I bought him a beanie, scarf and socks. First time i went to visit him, i didn't buy him anything. He bought me flowers : )

Comment

I don't really take gifts with me when I go there, but I do mail gifts when I'm home. It's always silly things I know will make him smile, but he doesn't like tea so I'm buggered if I want to mail something traditionally English.

I think it's nice if you can bring a gift. Something moderately small is always good, because you want something they can fit into their bag on their way back. Also, if it's traditional food or alcohol or something, you might want to check what the import laws are if you're international. I know it's silly, but having such strict rules for Oz has shocked me into checking.

Comment

I noticed in several photos that he'd sent me that when he wears a suit, he's always wearing the same tie. Those were pictures ranging from when he was 17 to the year before we met (8 years later) so I assumed he only owned that one tie. So I got him one

Kinda in the same spirit, during the trip I noticed he didn't have a rolling pin in his kitchen and would use a wine bottle when he made us pizza. So I got him a rolling pin in my following visit!
                  I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I took some Creaming Soda, Tim Tams and other lollies for my GF and her family that she lives with.

THEY LOVED IT.

Comment

I always bring something. It's not just because we're in a relationship. My parents taught me you should always bring a gift when you're visiting - especially if you're staying at their house.
                      I usually bring sweets from here that I know he likes, or some delicious homemade olive oil. Some spices too... It's usually household items like that.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

^ Same here. I always bring things when we visit his parents because that's how I was raised, even though they protest and say that I don't need to bring them anything anymore. And last time I visited I also brought them homemade olive oil
                        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

He didn't need a gift he had me. And I come with very good blow jobs...
                          Besides, the plane ticket + visa + travel insurance was the biggest expense I'd ever paid in my life at that point. It didn't cross my mind to bring a gift too.
                          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I try to bring Canadian snacks and food they don't have in the US. From certain pastries, chips, candies and maple syrupy stuff. I try to switch it up once in a while and try to think of new things to bring. Her family loves it and I love doing it.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                            Married April 18th, 2015!!
                            Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Since it was Scott's first time to the UK and he'd already fallen in love with a lot of things over here (through TV shows and hearing me talk about them) I had a box of stuff for him to take back. Things that he couldn't get in the USA that I thought he'd like and other things I'd picked up. I even did him a cross stitch to take home for his office at work. He loved them all. The visit since I didn't get him anything, but the next one I still have his Christmas presents because originally, he was coming here in Feb and didn't want me to pay to ship them. Since that visit fell through I've offered to ship them, but he told me to hold onto them until he does come over so he has something waiting for him.
                              Joey & Scott
                              Met: April 2002
                              Lost Contact: August 2002
                              Reconnected: April 2010
                              Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X