25 years in a LDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 years in a LDR

I read an article about a Finnish woman (now about the age 68) who has been in a LDR for 25 years.
    It was on the internet (in Finnish). They live in the same country though, but never wanted to close the distance.
    They both have their independent lifes. The romance has stayed in the relationship. Only thing is the guy is getting ill, he has had cancer etc.

I think that's something I definately DON'T WANT to do. Five years I could manage or a couple more but not 25.
    Still I think it is very different if you are in the same country (if it's not a huge country like Russia). Finland is quite small.

That's pretty impressive. There are a lot of people that are CD who can't even last 1 year let alone 25.

Some people prefer having the mental relationship as opposed to the physical closeness so I can understand how that would be possible however if the mother person is getting ill that you would want to go see him. Maybe they're scared after all these years that they aren't what they said or maybe they're content? To each their own.

That's some true dedication and I can only hope that my SO could be that dedicated.

Comment

My dad and his wife are in an LDR. I actually think they prefer it that way. They only live a few hours apart driving so they see each other every weekend.

Comment

My parents are LD. Have been for a few years now, and I'm pretty sure my mom prefers it that way. (Although she does complain he doesn't visit enough...) They're not close enough to visit every weekend.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

That's crazy. I couldn't do it, that's for sure, but to each their own. Did the article say if they visited each other?

Comment

Man I don't think I could handle an LDR that long! My SO said he doesn't want to be away from me for five years.(that's the estimate of how long the fire department might want him to commit to). He currently has mixed feelings about it but he said NC is his home. Home with me. I'm so happy but I'm soo anxious to be with him.

Originally posted by Ahava View Post
            I read an article about a Finnish woman (now about the age 68) who has been in a LDR for 25 years.
            It was on the internet (in Finnish). They live in the same country though, but never wanted to close the distance.
            They both have their independent lifes. The romance has stayed in the relationship. Only thing is the guy is getting ill, he has had cancer etc.

I think that's something I definately DON'T WANT to do. Five years I could manage or a couple more but not 25.
            Still I think it is very different if you are in the same country (if it's not a huge country like Russia). Finland is quite small.

Comment

My parents were ld all their life until a few years ago when my dad retired. It was in the same country but my dad had his office 250 miles away and he travelled around the country most of the week too.
              They were both happy with it. They saw each other weekends and the odd weekday (usually Monday or Friday). As a matter of fact, my mum still says she preferred it to how it is now sometimes with my dad around full time

Comment

My mom and dad's in an LDR for 15 years now and they're still happily married.

But I don't want that for myself! I'm a touchy person, and sometimes I cry because I want to be touched and hugged and kissed (all that mushy stuff) but of course, It can't be done since we live thousands of miles away. I can never live in an LDR forever.

Comment

Yes they visited each other and traveled together on holidays.
                  Judging by the answers to this thread it's not that uncommon as many of your parents have been/are LD.

Comment

I think that shows a lot of dedication to each other. I know that I couldn't do that for more than a few years, but I have great admiration for those that can. And it seems to work for them. My dad and step-mum were in an LDR for a long time, same country (most of the time) but still saw each other only on weekends. My step-mum didn't like it and now my dad has been promoted in the company, he only has to go up to the office a few times a week, and doesn't have to be there everyday and can work from home most days so they prefer that.
                    Joey & Scott
                    Met: April 2002
                    Lost Contact: August 2002
                    Reconnected: April 2010
                    Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Fair play on them, 25 years! I'd never manage that, it would be so hard! Fuck. We want to CD in 2 years, 3 at most

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                      2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                      3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                      4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                      5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                      6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                      7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                      Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                      UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X