Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So very close, Any tips/help?

Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening

I havent posted on here in what seems like for ever LOL.

I hope everyone is doing well and you are looking forward to there next trip to your SO.

Ok so it is exactly 22 Days until i leave london and fly to the US to meet my Boyfriend for the FIRST EVER time!

I think i'm pretty much organised i have the following;
    - ESTA
    - Letter of employment (just in case)
    - Passport
    - Flight details etc
    - Suitcase and carry on luggage

And of course the obvious clothes and stuff. Any tips for traveling such a long way London - Texas - Kansas i mean do they have plug sockets at Texas so i can do my hair before my last flight?

Need some support my friends. i am pooping my panties! haha this is my first flight by myself, long hall, to a country ive never been too! haha

So close! Congrats!!

Well just on the practical about your hair-thing: since the US power is 110V and you're hair dryer/straightener works on 220V from UK they will only work at half the power, in pratice this means they barely work at all! (can't believe I'm a guy and posting about this :P ) All other devices don't care about the voltage, only the stuff that has an heating element doesn't really work.
    But on the other hand, your SO is not going to care about your hair/outfit.. All he wants is you, you, you (and more of you). You're going to feel broken from the flight for the first day whatever you try to prepare, don't worry about that.. you have all the other days

Seems you have all you need (creditcard?), just enjoyyyyy!

Comment

exciting

I also recommend taking a print out of your most recent amount of money in your bank account, sometimes at borders they like to know you have enough money to support yourself for your stay.
      Met Online: February 2009
      Feelings grew: January 2011
      First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
      Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
      Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
      Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
      Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
      Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
      Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
      Engaged: 1st of July 2012
      Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
      Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
      Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
      Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
      Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
      Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Did you get plug adapters and voltage converters? Not sure if you need the converter from UK -> US. I can see why you might and might not (we have lower voltage here so no worry of frying your equipment but if your equipment is used to running on higher voltage, it might need a converter, not sure), but I've never looked into it. You'll probably be able to find plugs somewhere but they likely won't be in the bathrooms, not that I've noticed anyway. Most are in lounges or where you find groups of people huddled around with their laptops.

Have fun!

ETA: Someone answered my voltage converter question.
        Last edited by ThePiedPiper; May 2, 2013, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Safihre View Post
          You're going to feel broken from the flight for the first day whatever you try to prepare, don't worry about that.. you have all the other days

Seems you have all you need (creditcard?), just enjoyyyyy!
          Bank card - CHECK!! i never even knew about the voltage etc .. i think i just had a mini break down :/ Ok so your right the first time i see him hes not going to be bothered that much! even though deep down i really wanna impress him for the first time he ever sees me in person. however what about the 10 other days? crikey lol!!

Thank you im so excited!

Comment

Originally posted by Jazi View Post
            I also recommend taking a print out of your most recent amount of money in your bank account, sometimes at borders they like to know you have enough money to support yourself for your stay.
            Thank you for the heads up i'll do that the day before i leave

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiedPiper View Post
              Did you get plug adaptersand voltage converters?
              I'm looking into getting adapters and converters in the next week or so. I work in The Ritz Hotel in london and we always have americans staying here and we offer them Converters and stuff .. so ill ask one of the guys and see what i'm meant to do Thank you

Comment

This was me the first time i flew to see my SO. I had always traveled with the ex before. I was a nervous wreck but I made a point to tell my airline attendants and they could not have been more helpful and made it an enjoyable experience. Have a great time!
                "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

As far as hairdryers go, when I went to England, I just bought a hairdryer there and kept it there for future visits. The converters were too much of a hassle and still didn't seem to work well enough. Just a thought - you could purchase a travel hairdryer at the Texas airport (depending on which one it is...if it's a big airport, you'll have a better selection if any lol). Other than that, I agree with the others, you'll be too tired to even care what your hair looks like! I remember I slipped into the loo just to wash up a bit on my first flight over there (although we'd already met by this point) just to get that nasty plane smell off me. But he told me didn't care - he was just so happy to see me!

Good luck lady!

Met: November 19, 2010
                  Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
                  Made it official: April 29, 2011
                  Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
                  Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
                  Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
                  K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
                  Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
                  Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

Awww yay! You're so lucky! Til my parents are free to meet my SO, I can't confirm a date when well meet yet.:/ I'm praying soon because he starts his new job as a firefighter on May 13th. And he will have days off but I'm afraid he will be too tired to come. I don't know anything about voltage and its the first time I heard about it. What's the whole voltage thing about? I've never traveled across sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Captivated View Post
                      I remember I slipped into the loo just to wash up a bit on my first flight over there (although we'd already met by this point) just to get that nasty plane smell off me. But he told me didn't care - he was just so happy to see me!

Good luck lady!

Well i have a 3 hours stop over at Houston Texas, Im just going to change into some skinny jeans and a blouse because for my 9 hour flight im thinking of wearing jogging bottoms for comfort! And then just wash my face and put my maeup on.

The only reason i worry about my hair is because i had a bob cut in last year and i've only started growing it out, Its too short to tie up (if messy) its just at that length where i cant do nothing with it apart from it being straight and looking half decent haha! i sure hope my nervs will settle down once im there! LOL Thank you so much!

Comment

I'm in Houston I'd offer my home for you to freshen up in but I'm sure you're not allowed to leave the airport on layovers...coming in internationally anyway lol What are you flying? Just out of curiosity - haven't found a better airline than British Airways yet!

Met: November 19, 2010
                        Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
                        Made it official: April 29, 2011
                        Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
                        Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
                        Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
                        K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
                        Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
                        Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Captivated View Post
                          I'm in Houston I'd offer my home for you to freshen up in but I'm sure you're not allowed to leave the airport on layovers...coming in internationally anyway lol What are you flying? Just out of curiosity - haven't found a better airline than British Airways yet!
                          Haha that would be amazing if i could. Nothing better than a home to freshen up in instead of a airport with stange people :/ HAHA!! there going to think i am so crazy british lady so scared lol!! Ummm Im flying with United airlines my boyfriend booked and paid for my tickets (lucky girl) as they cost an absolute fourtune!!!

Comment

Houston has outlets in the bathroom. I have used them many time! Even after being there 4 times I always change and do my hair and make up when I lay over in Houston. Never had any strange looks so you should be fine...as long as you don't start shaving your legs in the sink or something crazy! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by srtd35 View Post
                              Houston has outlets in the bathroom. I have used them many time! Even after being there 4 times I always change and do my hair and make up when I lay over in Houston. Never had any strange looks so you should be fine...as long as you don't start shaving your legs in the sink or something crazy! LOL
                              This made me laugh out loud so much! This is totally something i would do however i will try not too. Us Brits have a reputation to mantain O:-)
                              This is the best news i have heard all day that they actually have plug sockets in the bathroom so i can get ready!

Thank you so much

Comment

Working...
                              X